• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Priests Less Likely to be Convicted Sex Abusers

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Please let's examine the number of legally convicted sex crime offenders in the U.S., and then we can objectively compare what percentage of American Catholic Priests are convicted sex abusers in comparison to percentage of the overall general American adult population who are legally convicted sex abusers. There are 747,408 registered sex crime offenders in the U.S. If there are 747,408 registered sex crime offenders, then there are at least 747,408 convicted sex crime offenders in the overall general population of the U.S.

Out of 747,408 Registered Sex Offenders, How Many Are Actually Dangerous?

Out of 423 Christian American Priests, who have been convicted of sexual abuse, 150 of them were Catholic American Priests.

There are approximately 150 former American Catholic priests, who've been convicted of sex abuse.

Here Are The Details Of 423 Christian Priests Who Have Been Convicted Of Sexual Abuse

There are now approximately 60,000 American Catholic priests. 150 convicted sex abusers out of 60,000 means that approximately only one out of 400 American Catholic Priests (0.25 percent ) are convicted sex crime offenders. According to widely available U.S. Census data, there are approximately 240 million American adults ( age 18 or over ) 747,408 convicted sex abusers out of 240 million means that at least one out of 320 ( 0.31 percent ) of the American adult population are convicted sex crime offenders.

Only approximately 0.25 percent of American Priests are convicted sex crime offenders compared to at least 0.31 percent of the overall American adult population who are convicted sex crime offenders.

So then, when considering all legally defined sex crimes, Priests are still at least 25 percent less likely to be legally found guilty of a sex crime than the likelihood somebody who is a non-Priest is legally found guilty of a sex crime.

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Priests are still at least 25 percent less likely to be legally found guilty of a sex crime than the likelihood somebody who is a non-Priest is legally found guilty of a sex crime.
Who has a more powerful organization of enablers than Catholic priests?
Of course they don't get convicted.

I love Mother Church. But truth is truth.
Tom

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Who has a more powerful organization of enablers than Catholic priests?
Of course they don't get convicted.

I love Mother Church. But truth is truth.
Tom

Is there any evidence the Church is any better at covering up sex crimes done by its Priests than how well society is as a whole at covering up all their sex crimes?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Is there any evidence the Church is any better at covering up sex crimes done by its Priests than how well society is as a whole at covering up all their sex crimes?

Hard to tell. There are no numbers on unreported. They're unreported, unrecorded.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
That's rather a vague question.

How good is "society" at covering up sex crimes? I have never committed one, how hard is that to cover up?

The problem with the RCC isn't a few bad apples. It's the culture of authority and willingness to cover up the crimes that's the huge problem. Popes and bishops and cardinals and such, working in concert to protect the RCC from the ugly crimes committed by other RCC authorities. At the expense of the victims.
Tom

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Please let's examine the number of legally convicted sex crime offenders in the U.S., and then we can objectively compare what percentage of American Catholic Priests are convicted sex abusers in comparison to percentage of the overall general American adult population who are legally convicted sex abusers. There are 747,408 registered sex crime offenders in the U.S. If there are 747,408 registered sex crime offenders, then there are at least 747,408 convicted sex crime offenders in the overall general population of the U.S.

Out of 747,408 Registered Sex Offenders, How Many Are Actually Dangerous?

Out of 423 Christian American Priests, who have been convicted of sexual abuse, 150 of them were Catholic American Priests.

There are approximately 150 former American Catholic priests, who've been convicted of sex abuse.

Here Are The Details Of 423 Christian Priests Who Have Been Convicted Of Sexual Abuse

There are now approximately 60,000 American Catholic priests. 150 convicted sex abusers out of 60,000 means that approximately only one out of 400 American Catholic Priests (0.25 percent ) are convicted sex crime offenders. According to widely available U.S. Census data, there are approximately 240 million American adults ( age 18 or over ) 747,408 convicted sex abusers out of 240 million means that at least one out of 320 ( 0.31 percent ) of the American adult population are convicted sex crime offenders.

Only approximately 0.25 percent of American Priests are convicted sex crime offenders compared to at least 0.31 percent of the overall American adult population who are convicted sex crime offenders.

So then, when considering all legally defined sex crimes, Priests are still at least 25 percent less likely to be legally found guilty of a sex crime than the likelihood somebody who is a non-Priest is legally found guilty of a sex crime.

Priests of the Roman Church have been less likely to be 'convicted' as sex offenders, because they have been sheltered by the Roman Church. I hope that changes in the future.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Priests of the Roman Church have been less likely to be 'convicted' as sex offenders, because they have been sheltered by the Roman Church. I hope that changes in the future.

There's no way of telling if the RCC shelters sex abusers to a greater degree than businesses who shelter their key employees who are alleged sex abusers or families who shelter their breadwinners who've sexually abused other family members.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Right, there's no way of telling if the rate of unreported sex crimes is greater within the Church or outside of there.
You keep moving the goalpost.
First it was pedophile convictions.
Now, you're down to sex crimes.

The fact is that no other group of single men have an organization defending their misdeeds as powerful as the RCC. It's as simple as that.
Tom

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

Teenagers nowadays have cell phones that can record anything happening around them; hopefully, this technology could capture any evidence of teenager parishioners being sexually harassed by their Priests.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

The fact is that no other group of single men have an organization defending their misdeeds as powerful as the RCC. It's as simple as that.
Tom

The RCC isn't any more powerful than any multi-billion dollar corporation or governmental organization. There could be many other powerful organizations sheltering their key employees who are sex abusers., or secular governmental agencies could be sheltering their leaders who are sex abusers. Also, there could be many families who financially depend on one of their particular family members whom they shelter from being legally convicted for their incestuousness. There's no way of knowing if the RCC shelters sexually abusive Priests any more than other organizations or families shelter any of their sexually abusive members.

Have you ever considered the possibility that the rate of convicted sex crime offenders among Priests is lower than the rate of convicted sex crime offenders among non-priests, because Priests actually commit sex crimes at a lower rate than non-priests?

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
That's ridiculous.

Name another multi-billion dollar corporation that is both tax exempt and has it's own sovereign country with diplomatic immunity.
And status at the UN. And. ...
Tom

There are now many multi-billion dollar corporations that pay no U.S. federal taxes, for example - Amazon and Netflix. You just named a powerful organization with diplomatic immunity - the U.N. thank you

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

Tom

I'm not Catholic, but my maternal relatives are Catholic, the Church helped my grandmother immigrate from Germany to America after WW II, I would not exist if it weren't for the RCC. I'm sick and tired of the smear campaign done towards their Priests, who are wrongfully accused as being more apt to commit sex abuse than other groups of people.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
One of the now trending news stories at the moment is literally about the Church destroying files to cover up sexual abuse. Eerie.

This could be fake news, just like how there was fake new against the Covington Catholic MAGA hat wearing High School students who were wrongly accused of being racists.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
There are now many multi-billion dollar corporations that pay no U.S. federal taxes, for example - Amazon and Netflix. You just named a powerful organization with diplomatic immunity - the U.N. thank you
Having good tax lawyers isn't the same as blanket, no questions asked, tax exemptions for you and your customers.
Nor does the UN operate with the impunity that the RCC takes for granted, and has for centuries.

Neither Amazon nor the UN are at all comparable to the RCC.
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I'm not Catholic, but my maternal relatives are Catholic, the Church helped my grandmother immigrate from Germany to America after WW II, I would not exist if it weren't for the RCC. I'm sick and tired of the smear campaign done towards their Priests, who are wrongfully accused as being more apt to commit sex abuse than other groups of people.
I was born and raised Catholic. Very very Catholic.
If it weren't for the church I probably would either have died in a back alley abortion or been raised by a desperately poor single mother in Detroit. Instead the church matched me with a solid couple who really wanted me.

But the truth is still the truth.
Tom