• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Priest, Rabbi, Pharisee, Saduccee

Kemosloby

Premium Member
You misquoted Jeremiah 31:31. It says, “The days are coming,” declares the L-rd, “when I will make a new covenant with the people of Israel and with the people of Judah.” Since this covenant is between the L-rd and the people of Israel it could not be the Christian covenant since that is supposed to be between the L-rd and all those, Jew AND gentile, which are under the Christian covenant.

Since the covenant between the L-rd and Israel is an eternal one, the one In Jeremiah supplements it, it could not possibly replace it. You make the common error of replacement theology.

If you believe that Jesus eliminated the need for sacrifice of any Temple then you have a problem. Ezekiel is clear that there will be a Third Temple, including sacrifices. That contradicts your theology.

What if Jesus is the third temple and he himself was the sacrifice? Since the old testament scriptures says a persons body is a temple of God.

He says he will make a new covenant with the people of Israel and the people of Judah, does not necessarily mean he won't share it with the rest of the world also.

Shaul

Premium Member
What if Jesus is the third temple and he himself was the sacrifice? Since the old testament scriptures says a persons body is a temple of God.

He says he will make a new covenant with the people of Israel and the people of Judah, does not necessarily mean he won't share it with the rest of the world also.
That can not be. First let’s get this verse in context. Here are the verses that follow from there:

32 It will not be like the covenant I made with their ancestors when I took them by the hand to lead them,” declares the Lord.
33 “This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel after that time,” declares the Lord. “I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God, and they will be my people.
34 No longer will they teach their neighbor, or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’
because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest,” declares the Lord. “For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.”
35 This is what the Lord says, he who appoints the sun to shine by day,
who decrees the moon and stars to shine by night, who stirs up the sea so that its waves roar— the Lord Almighty is his name:
36 “Only if these decrees vanish from my sight,” declares the Lord, “will Israel ever cease being a nation before me.”
37 This is what the Lord says:“Only if the heavens above can be measured and the foundations of the earth below be searched out will I reject all the descendants of Israel because of all they have done,” declares the Lord.

This makes it clearer. This new covenant of Jeremiah will happen at a time when there is universal knowledge of G-d. That hasn’t happened yet. It is one of the signs of the Messianic age. Since it hasn’t happened that means the real moshiach hasn’t come yet. Jesus was not the moshiach. These verses also tell us that G-d will never abandon Israel or break the covenant He had already made with them.

G-d meant what He said. He said this covenant in Jeremiah was with Israel. It is quite clear. In scripture a covenant is always clear who the parties are of it.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
That can not be. First let’s get this verse in context. Here are the verses that follow from there:

32 It will not be like the covenant I made with their ancestors when I took them by the hand to lead them,” declares the Lord.
33 “This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel after that time,” declares the Lord. “I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God, and they will be my people.
34 No longer will they teach their neighbor, or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’
because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest,” declares the Lord. “For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.”
35 This is what the Lord says, he who appoints the sun to shine by day,
who decrees the moon and stars to shine by night, who stirs up the sea so that its waves roar— the Lord Almighty is his name:
36 “Only if these decrees vanish from my sight,” declares the Lord, “will Israel ever cease being a nation before me.”
37 This is what the Lord says:“Only if the heavens above can be measured and the foundations of the earth below be searched out will I reject all the descendants of Israel because of all they have done,” declares the Lord.

This makes it clearer. This new covenant of Jeremiah will happen at a time when there is universal knowledge of G-d. That hasn’t happened yet. It is one of the signs of the Messianic age. Since it hasn’t happened that means the real moshiach hasn’t come yet. Jesus was not the moshiach. These verses also tell us that G-d will never abandon Israel or break the covenant He had already made with them.

G-d meant what He said. He said this covenant in Jeremiah was with Israel. It is quite clear. In scripture a covenant is always clear who the parties are of it.

No, it just says God will never reject all of the descendants of Israel, and God will always see them as a nation.

The rest of it sounds a lot like Christianity. Like Paul says we are not by a written code but by the spirit. So the law is written in a persons mind and heart, not on tablets of stone.

The second part also sounds a whole lot like Jesus. declares the Lord. “For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.”

Phantasman

You misquoted Jeremiah 31:31. It says, “The days are coming,” declares the L-rd, “when I will make a new covenant with the people of Israel and with the people of Judah.” Since this covenant is between the L-rd and the people of Israel it could not be the Christian covenant since that is supposed to be between the L-rd and all those, Jew AND gentile, which are under the Christian covenant.

Since the covenant between the L-rd and Israel is an eternal one, the one In Jeremiah supplements it, it could not possibly replace it. You make the common error of replacement theology.

If you believe that Jesus eliminated the need for sacrifice of any Temple then you have a problem. Ezekiel is clear that there will be a Third Temple, including sacrifices. That contradicts your theology.

Galatians 3 explains to me a different view. The covenant of the law/circumcision given to Abraham was given by a mediator (angels) and based on his seed to have faith. The new covenant from Christ Jesus shed blood, covers any covenant made with Abraham. People died under the first covenant, saved only by their faith (not the law). The law "of flesh" saves no one.

The whole letter of Galatians is explaining the error of the teaching of the false gospel they were told (Galatians 1). When the whole letter is read, it explains Pauls response to the emerging orthodox ideology. That the OT didn't have to be followed at all. He was teaching the Gentiles who weren't of the OT. But the Jews that were holding onto it, was trying to teach a "different" Gospel that included the way of the "fathers".

Poisonshady313

Oh, I thought this was joke. A priest, a rabbi and a cleric walk into a bar in Singapore...
mylife2.png

roger1440

I do stuff
In Judaism or the Christian bible or as pertains to the Jews of the old and new testament. What is the difference between a Priest, Rabbi, Pharisee and Saduccee? Was one of these groups more inclined to believe Jesus was the Messiah?
Ask just one question and I'll attempt to answer. You can not ask two questions in one breath.