• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Priest, rabbi, cleric or scholar

gnostic

The Lost One
Are there many priests, reverends, rabbi, Islamic cleric or scholars here? Clergy of any sort?

I'm just curious as to how many are RF members. Someone who may know more about their own scriptures than the average member.

A

angellous_evangellous

I'm an ordained Baptist minister and scholar, completing a phd in New Testament.

gnostic

The Lost One
How long does it take to become minister?

NT is rather vague or too general. What do the PhD involved? Can you be more specific?

A

angellous_evangellous

How long does it take to become minister?

NT is rather vague or too general. What do the PhD involved? Can you be more specific?

I earned an AA in English, a BA in biblical interpretation, an MA in religion. Mostly these programs required the supervised reading of about 70 books a term for 8 years and writing a lot of research papers.

For the Ph.D. I had to demonstrate proficiency in several languages - in my case Hebrew, Greek, German, and French. I also had to do several practicums - teaching and research. Lots of papers and supervised research in the interpretation of the New Testament.

Ordination requirements were fulfilled by the MA degree which included some courses in word and sacrament and denomenational polity, as well as serving on staff at a church.

gnostic

The Lost One
Does that mean you can easily read the bible in Hebrew and Greek?

Have you ever tried to learn Latin?