• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pricey Tea!

Spiderman

Veteran Member
No, although brits probably got the idea from Rome but the British empire didn't start for 1300 years after Rome fell
Oh, 1300 years is longer than I thought between the two.

I was confused. I thought this Empire was the Roman Empire. It covers many of the same territories. It is actually the Byzantine Empire though.
Justinian555AD (1).png

There is also the "Holy Roman Empire".

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Oh wow! That is friggin beautiful. :) Italy, France, Spain, Portugal, much of UK, middle East, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, and so much more! One Hell of an Empire! I wonder what their navy was like. To defeat the British Royal navy and cross the English channel , they had to have one hell of a Navy! Even Napoleon failed to do that! ;)

(Lol, it's a joke! :p The great Royal British navy became best navy on earth, over a thousand years later, so the one they had when the Roman Empire crossed the English channel , was probably nothing to brag about :D)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Oh wow! That is friggin beautiful. :) Italy, France, Spain, Portugal, much of UK, middle East, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, and so much more! One Hell of an Empire! I wonder what their navy was like. To defeat the British Royal navy and cross the English channel , they had to have one hell of a Navy! Even Napoleon failed to do that! ;)

(Lol, it's a joke! :p The great Royal British navy became best navy on earth, over a thousand years later, so the one they had when the Roman Empire crossed the English channel , was probably nothing to brag about :D)

I understand the Romand had a fairly good navy, privately owned by the very rich and powered by slaves. Their task was mostly transport of wheet from Egypt, and olives from spain. If needed for conquest then they could be co-opted to transport troops.

The British attempt was a few coracles for coastal fishing

Last edited: