• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Price of oil < $0 per barrel

A Vestigial Mote

It's down to $1.26 where I am at. I've been meaning to run to the local Tractor Supply and grab a couple large gas cans. Fill them up while it is low and suck off of those for a while once things jump back up.

exchemist

Veteran Member
$1.70/gallon near me, and dropping...
That is gasoline not crude, and there's a lot of processing, distribution and tax that goes into the cost to the owner of the gas station, not to mention the time lag to complete all the intermediate steps.

My understanding of the report is this is a short term effect due to storage tanks becoming full over the next few days. But certainly there is still a huge oversupply with so much of the world's economy shut down. It's going to be a hairy 6 months for people in the shale oil business.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Gasoline prices have been falling....below $1/gallon in some places.
But bear in mind that it costs money to turn that oil into gasoline, to
deliver it to stations, & for them to sell it. So the lack of free gas
isn't a conspiracy or anything.
In new York its at least 2.50 a gallon in my immediate area.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Premarket stocks: American oil crashes below $0 a barrel -- a record low - CNN

(but have rebounded a bit)

I am not an economist but...I think this is a bad sign? :)

Ought to stop producing oil? Folks are going to be out of work but at some point aren't you just spinning your wheels?

Isn't this what the Green party people want anyway? Business is just going to have to adjust. A chance to invest in alternative forms of energy.

Maybe if we are lucky, gasoline power engines will become obsolete.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
well, to break even it needs to be $55- $60/barrel.....so buckle up, shift coming

Imagine what is happening to the economies that really depend on oil, like Russia and the already-a-basket-case Venezuela...

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
That is gasoline not crude, and there's a lot of processing, distribution and tax that goes into the cost to the owner of the gas station, not to mention the time lag to complete all the intermediate steps.

My understanding of the report is this is a short term effect due to storage tanks becoming full over the next few days. But certainly there is still a huge oversupply with so much of the world's economy shut down. It's going to be a hairy 6 months for people in the shale oil business.

Well if nothing else I hope this kills off the fracking industry in my state.

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
This varies by state etc but I think is a good, general guide:

c1.PNG

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Gasoline prices have been falling....below $1/gallon in some places.
But bear in mind that it costs money to turn that oil into gasoline, to
deliver it to stations, & for them to sell it. So the lack of free gas
isn't a conspiracy or anything.

Gas stations never make money on the gas, it's a loss leader so it doesn't matter to them if it's 50 cents. :D

They've always made all their money on all the garbage that you buy in the store.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Gas stations never make money on the gas, it's a loss leader so it doesn't matter to them if it's 50 cents. :D

They've always made all their money on all the garbage that you buy in the store.
They must lose money on me.
I rarely buy anything in the store.

exchemist

Veteran Member

You're right about the profitability of gasoline sales. But that doesn't make the operator indifferent to the price. Losing 5c on each gallon can easily be made up in the store but losing 50c not so easily.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
They must lose money on me.
I rarely buy anything in the store.

They make a little bit on the gas regardless, but they make most of the money on the cookie/soda/whatever odds and ends you buy. They get about 10% of the gas, and about 50-100% of the other items.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
They make a little bit on the gas regardless, but they make most of the money on the cookie/soda/whatever odds and ends you buy. They get about 10% of the gas, and about 50-100% of the other items.
I'll bet that Costco makes less than nothing on gas.
They're typically over $0.20/gal cheaper than the
next cheapest station.

Last edited: