• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Presitly Clothing?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Todd said:
Sure, but I go to church to glorify God, not to glorify myself. Dress doesn't matter. It's what's in my heart that matters.

Amen to that. I can honestly say that I go to a church where it doesn't matter what you show up in...people are simply thrilled to see you there and I have a hunch God feels the same.:)

Todd

Rajun Cajun
beckysoup61 said:
So God doesn't care about everything then?

IMO, that's correct. I think God doesn't care about everything. He especially doesn't care much about the physical appearance part of someone to the point of what someone looks like or what someone wears. Just like I don't think he cares too much about who wins the Cowboys vs. Jaquars game this Saturday even though I really want the Cowboys to win :D (could be a bad example, but it just popped into my mind).

nutshell

Attempting to get the thread back on topic.

Todd said:
I personally see no reason for garment that makes people think that someone is greater than someone else in the eye of God (it's in the heart not the cloths). .

I like that comment Todd. In LDS temples every person wears all white because we are all equal before God. Even the person conducting the ordinances or ceremony in the temple is dressed like everyone else - all white. There is no hint of status in the temple so whether I'm a filthy rich heir to a small kingdom or living out of my car we wear the same clothes and worship in the same way.

Now, I'm sure there is an argument for having priests set apart from the congregation by means of clothing and I'd be interetested to hear from other posters about why this might be. There might be some very valid reasons.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
That's a really nice thing, nutshell. Islamic women are constantly in competition to cover the most, or be more modest than the others. It might sound foolish coming from a Bosnian, but its true to some extent even hear. Girls who wear veils all the time certainly admire women who have the "strength" and "will power" to wear burkas. And you constantly get competition about hijabis (girls who wear veils) to have the most beautiful and expensive gowns and veils.

nutshell

Djamila said:
That's a really nice thing, nutshell. Islamic women are constantly in competition to cover the most, or be more modest than the others. It might sound foolish coming from a Bosnian, but its true to some extent even hear. Girls who wear veils all the time certainly admire women who have the "strength" and "will power" to wear burkas. And you constantly get competition about hijabis (girls who wear veils) to have the most beautiful and expensive gowns and veils.

BUT Bosnian women are so beautiful!!! :drool:
It's a shame they choose to compete and cover up so much. ;)

lunamoth

Will to love
Maize said:
Shall I move this out of the Episcopal/Anglicians forum?
I think so Maize. I'm not offended by this, but it really has nothing to do with Episcopal/Anglican belief.

cheers,
luna

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The Robes worn by Anglican priests change according to the Church Calendar, as do those in the Roman Church.
It is a very Traditional and deep rooted in religious symbolism.
My wife used to work with a small group of vestment needleworkers making and restoring vestments for many churches and new priests.
Some anglican priests chose only to wear simple white garments, as do most assisting in daily services.
The young anglican priest of today are mostly taught to follow the Anglo Catholic Tradition so would normally wear the full vestments for the glory of God.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Maize said:
Moved to Comparative Religion.

Thanks Maize, I guess I wasn't thinking of where to put it, when I made it.

Your awesome, I know I can always count on you.

nutshell

Terrywoodenpic said:
The Robes worn by Anglican priests change according to the Church Calendar, as do those in the Roman Church.
It is a very Traditional and deep rooted in religious symbolism.
My wife used to work with a small group of vestment needleworkers making and restoring vestments for many churches and new priests.
Some anglican priests chose only to wear simple white garments, as do most assisting in daily services.
The young anglican priest of today are mostly taught to follow the Anglo Catholic Tradition so would normally wear the full vestments for the glory of God.

I'm very interested in this.

Is this the appropriate place to discuss the religious symbolism of the robes? And can you speak more of the relationship between the full vestmetns and the glory of God?

Thanks.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
As to attending Church , I tidy up in a casual sort of way.
Much the same as if I were going anywhere else.
It is more about self respect than anything.

God would far rather you actually went than care too much about what you wear.
A tramp would be welcome in his rags.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic

Booko

Deviled Hen
beckysoup61 said:
I'm curious on what the significance behind this time of clothing is?

Why not just where a suit and tie to Church? Does a preist of bishop really need to stand out that much? Why so?

Just a brief historical note, but really until very recently in European culture you could pretty much tell someone's profession by their attire.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Booko said:
Just a brief historical note, but really until very recently in European culture you could pretty much tell someone's profession by their attire.

But I'm asking, why should the bishop stand out, he shouldn't be anymore important then the congregants -- if you understnad what I mean.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
beckysoup61 said:
But I'm asking, why should the bishop stand out, he shouldn't be anymore important then the congregants -- if you understnad what I mean.

He is not more important.
His clothing reflects the job he is doing at the time.
It is the Function that is important.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Terrywoodenpic said:
He is not more important.
His clothing reflects the job he is doing at the time.
It is the Function that is important.

But why does his clothing need to reflect that? It does set him apart from the rest.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
beckysoup61 said:
But why does his clothing need to reflect that? It does set him apart from the rest.

The function is already separate to the rest of the congregation.
It does not set him apart, If anything it hides the self involved.