• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Presidential Actions (Biden)

Audie

Veteran Member
As a Canadian, I have mixed feelings about the decision. I really regret the lost jobs (Keystone will lay off 1,000 employees almost immediately). But I cannot ignore the fact that the future of life on this planet -- most especially ours -- may well depend on weaning ourselves off of fossil fuels. At the very least for the production of energy. There may still be advantageous uses involving synthetic materials.

I hear a lot of people arguing about the "cost" of saving our planet -- but I can't help but wonder what might be the result if we decide not to pay that cost.

You Canucks live up in the frozen tundra where it takes so much to heat your homes, come down to the tropics where you can spend it on AC instead.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
You Canucks live up in the frozen tundra where it takes so much to heat your homes, come down to the tropics where you can spend it on AC instead.
Actually, in Toronto, where I live, our winters get down to sometimes -30 celsius, and our summers sometimes up to 40 celsius. We need both heating and cooling!

Dave Watchman

Actually, in Toronto, where I live, our winters get down to sometimes -30 celsius, and our summers sometimes up to 40 celsius. We need both heating and cooling!

At least the winters kill the bugs.

I'm north of you.

watershed-map-municipal-lrg.png

Audie

Veteran Member
Ha, I lived in NYC, so I have an ides.

Repulse Bay which is where I live here
Is warmer than the Canadian Repulse Bay
which is like an Eskimo village i think.

Its about 20 C this morning here.

Well, off to do things....

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I don't guess I'd write about comparing
sleepy j to a supersonic jet.
I see, you're repeating right wing lies. As to "sleepy", look at all the executive orders he's signed so quickly and compare that to any and every previous administration.

The sheer number and speed are to me breathtaking.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Executive order killing 8000 union jobs,
and enraging the Canadians

I heard it certainly upset Trudeau. But that's
curious to me because I thought he was supposed
to be all in for doing something about global climate
change? Extracting one of the dirtiest oils on the
planet is lucrative for sure, but I'm not sure it
comports well with a genuine concern for GCC.

I wonder how many barrels of oil from Venezuela
you'd need to burn to put out an equal volume of
greenhouse gases as one from Canada? Serious
question.

Methinks it might not be faith that moves mountains,
but rather money.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

So we need to invest in the future not support energy buggy whips.

That for sure. We absolutely must do so ASAP.
But I think there's little chance we actually will in
the end accomplish much to head off considerable consequences
to being too late with too little on this one. I'm with the Pentagon.
Prepare for wars.

Human nature. We will make many non-binding agreements in
order to signal our virtue. Meanwhile we will make every effort
to dismiss or undermine the science that supports immediate
action. Last, we will never leave any wealth in the ground except
in extraordinary circumstances accompanied by wailing and
hand wringing about the coming cold winters.

Face it. The Civil War was fought to protect slavery. But
slavery was not protected because Southerners simply liked
enslaving people, of course. In fact slavery not only made them
money, but the money it made them was an enormous part
of their economy. Today, the known world wide oil reserves
roughly amount to the same percentage of the world economy
that slaves amounted to in the South. Does anyone think
that oil is actually going to forever stay in the ground without
some kind of intense conflict? If so, what an unprecedented idea!

There are reasons the Pentagon is not the only general staff
scrutinizing the realities these days.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
to being too late with too little on this one.

Consequences there are and will be.

But electric cars that recharge in 5 minutes are almost here. Alternatives to fossil fuels are cheaper in many instances.

In spite of everything Trump tried to do to return to the past, the future kept arriving and with President Biden's wonderful start, I'm hopeful that the worst visions of the future won't happen.

Dave Watchman

From what I remember of the initial pipeline deal, outside of providing temporary jobs, offers no benefit to the US, just a route for Canada to pipe its oil through the US to elsewhere.

I confess not knowing anything about it until Audie made mention of engaging/enraging the Canadians.

That's when I first did a quick google on it.

The Americans on another forum are irritated over it.

They show a twitter video of Biden signing document after document ?

It makes it look like he's signing anything, border walls, pipelines, cross dressers in the high school washrooms, just to undo anything Trump did, right or wrong without any thought process.

Joe Biden was all doom and gloom Friday after he destroyed tens of thousands of jobs his first day in office.

After his bizarre inaugural behind fences and 20,000 military troops, Biden hobbled to the Oval Officer were he signed several executive orders including the end of construction of the Keystone XL Pipeline and the end of construction of the Trump border wall.

Canceling the Keystone Pipeline costs over 11,000 construction jobs and 42,100 jobs throughout the US during the construction process according to the US State Department.

Canceling the Trump border wall will cost 10,000 jobs.

Canceling the Keystone Pipeline costs over 11,000 construction jobs and 42,100 jobs throughout the US during the construction process according to the US State Department.

According to Congressman Kevin Brady (T-TX) if Biden’s war on gas and oil is permanent, 120,000 Texas jobs will be lost.

After proudly destroying tens of thousands of jobs in two days in the middle of a pandemic, Joe Biden warned of a deepening economic crisis.

Biden Warns 'Economic Crisis Deepening' After Killing Tens of Thousands of Jobs His First Day in Office (VIDEO)

https://twitter.com/i/status/1352764481756127237

Like right now, during a pandemic, might be a good time to secure our borders.

He ends construction on Trump's wall.

Then he says: "there is nothing we can do to change the trajectory of the pandemic in next several months."

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1352712833511919623?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

5ee231255d.gif

Audie

Veteran Member
That for sure. We absolutely must do so ASAP.
to being too late with too little on this one. I'm with the Pentagon.
Prepare for wars.

Human nature. We will make many non-binding agreements in
order to signal our virtue. Meanwhile we will make every effort
to dismiss or undermine the science that supports immediate
action. Last, we will never leave any wealth in the ground except
in extraordinary circumstances accompanied by wailing and
hand wringing about the coming cold winters.

Face it. The Civil War was fought to protect slavery. But
slavery was not protected because Southerners simply liked
enslaving people, of course. In fact slavery not only made them
money, but the money it made them was an enormous part
of their economy. Today, the known world wide oil reserves
roughly amount to the same percentage of the world economy
that slaves amounted to in the South. Does anyone think
that oil is actually going to forever stay in the ground without
some kind of intense conflict? If so, what an unprecedented idea!

There are reasons the Pentagon is not the only general staff
scrutinizing the realities these days.

It would be difficult and unpopular to try to
figure it out, but I think slavery was a huge net loss to the American economy.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
As a Canadian, I have mixed feelings about the decision. I really regret the lost jobs (Keystone will lay off 1,000 employees almost immediately). But I cannot ignore the fact that the future of life on this planet -- most especially ours -- may well depend on weaning ourselves off of fossil fuels. At the very least for the production of energy. There may still be advantageous uses involving synthetic materials.

I hear a lot of people arguing about the "cost" of saving our planet -- but I can't help but wonder what might be the result if we decide not to pay that cost.

The extraction from the tar sands in your country needs to stop. I am in favor of boycotting everything from your country until you come to your senses.

Regiomontanus

I confess not knowing anything about it until Audie made mention of engaging/enraging the Canadians.

That's when I first did a quick google on it.

The Americans on another forum are irritated over it.

They show a twitter video of Biden signing document after document ?

It makes it look like he's signing anything, border walls, pipelines, cross dressers in the high school washrooms, just to undo anything Trump did, right or wrong without any thought process.

Joe Biden was all doom and gloom Friday after he destroyed tens of thousands of jobs his first day in office.

After his bizarre inaugural behind fences and 20,000 military troops, Biden hobbled to the Oval Officer were he signed several executive orders including the end of construction of the Keystone XL Pipeline and the end of construction of the Trump border wall.

According to Congressman Kevin Brady (T-TX) if Biden’s war on gas and oil is permanent, 120,000 Texas jobs will be lost.

After proudly destroying tens of thousands of jobs in two days in the middle of a pandemic, Joe Biden warned of a deepening economic crisis.

Biden Warns 'Economic Crisis Deepening' After Killing Tens of Thousands of Jobs His First Day in Office (VIDEO)

https://twitter.com/i/status/1352764481756127237

Like right now, during a pandemic, might be a good time to secure our borders.

He ends construction on Trump's wall.

Then he says: "there is nothing we can do to change the trajectory of the pandemic in next several months."

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1352712833511919623?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

5ee231255d.gif

Hah, great argument - let's keep doing evil because if we stop there will be some loss of jobs :confused:

Audie

Veteran Member
I see, you're repeating right wing lies. As to "sleepy", look at all the executive orders he's signed so quickly and compare that to any and every previous administration.

The sheer number and speed are to me breathtaking.
my thinking that comparing signing some orders written up
by others long ago to supersonic aircraft is
ridiculous is a right wing lie. Droll.

You Americans sure have learned to hate eachother.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Executive order killing 8000 union jobs,
and enraging the Canadians
Oh well. The Keystone pipeline was also a gross violation of the eminent domain clause. Our law is private property can only be taken for public use. Keystone was seizing private property for private profit.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
The extraction from the tar sands in your country needs to stop. I am in favor of boycotting everything from your country until you come to your senses.
Sure 'nuff. Just shut 'er down right away, and the over 200,000 people who depend on them for work can find another job in 10 or 20 years when a new technology is invented. No probs.

It sure is easy to say what should happen, isn't it? Especially when you don't have to worry about the consequences.

Audie

Veteran Member
Oh well. The Keystone pipeline was also a gross violation of the eminent domain clause. Our law is private property can only be taken for public use. Keystone was seizing private property for private profit.

That is so well established in precedent that its a non issue.

Justify as one wil, those in two countries hard srung by his stroke of a pen were ill served.

Regiomontanus

Sure 'nuff. Just shut 'er down right away, and the over 200,000 people who depend on them for work can find another job in 10 or 20 years when a new technology is invented. No probs.

It sure is easy to say what should happen, isn't it? Especially when you don't have to worry about the consequences.

I don't care if it was a million. Raping the earth should not be a jobs program.