• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Clinton Insults Pope On Way to Funeral, Christians Outraged

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
Former President Clinton Insults Pope on Way to Funeral

ROME, April 7, 2005 (LifeSiteNews.com) - Former President Bill Clinton, one of recent history's most ardent political advocates of abortion, placed himself on an equal footing with the Pope and critiqued the pope's legacy in comments to reporters while en route to Rome for the papal funeral.

Matt Drudge reports that Clinton told reporters, the pope "centralized authority in the papacy again and enforced a very conservative theological doctrine. There will be debates about that. The number of Catholics increased by 250 million on his watch. But the numbers of priests didn't. He's like all of us - he may have a mixed legacy."

Clinton's comments have already spurred outrage from Catholic bloggers and protestant ministers alike. Joseph Grant Swank Jr., pastor of New Hope evangelical church in Maine wrote an editorial in his local paper calling Clinton a religious hypocrite and a liar. Pastor Grant writes, "This rank sinner of the most alley cat genre plows into the Pope on the way to the Pope's funeral! In moments after making his 'confession,' the former United States President then has the audacity to kneel in St. Peter's Church, looking on adoringly at the Pope's corpse."

President Bush's decision to include Clinton in the US delegation to the Pope's funeral has already upset many Catholics. Clinton's presidency was one of aggressive opposition to the Catholic moral universe which John Paul personified.

Clinton's audacity in critiquing the pope - who will likely be best remembered for his indefatigable championing of the sanctity of human life - will strike many as especially insulting from a president whose reign was a mud-spattered catalogue of moral and political scandals. Bill Clinton's particular legacy among pro-lifers is to be remembered for his repeated vetoes of the partial birth abortion ban.

Clinton's indifference to Catholic sensibilities was exemplified in 1998, when he and his wife received Holy Communion at a Catholic Mass while on a trip to South Africa. This act, understood by Catholics to be one of sacrilege, occurred while the Clintons led the world in their war against traditional Christian morality. The late John Cardinal O'Connor of New York declared the episode "legally and doctrinally wrong."

Focus on the Family President Dr. James Dobson in February 2001 said, "No man has ever done more to debase the presidency or to undermine our Constitution - and particularly the moral and biblical principles upon which it is based - than has William Jefferson Clinton." Dobson wrote, "Clinton's hands are stained with the blood of countless innocent babies. By twice vetoing a bill that would have banned partial-birth abortion, he almost single-handedly preserved a barbaric procedure by which fully viable and un-anaesthetized infants, each fresh from the Creator's hand and brimming with life, were murdered during the final moments of delivery."

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I went to see my doctor this morning; whilst I was trying to 'recruit' him for R.F, we were talking about morals, conscience, whatever...............(I am very lucky in having a doctor who seems to enjoy cahatting to me about such things).
We were talking about how the world tends to 'deify' people who die - he gave Princess Diana as an example, and I (I can't remember her name) referred to a young woman singer who was killed last year in a most unfortunate accident with a jet-ski. I had never heard any of her songs, and I am not particularly taken with her style, but upon her death, one of her favourite songs was played every day on some programme or other.

What did shock me though, was when he said "And what about the Pope then; he is responsible for the death of millions". My shock must have been obvious, because he clarified his position on the fact that the Pope would not support the idea of contraception - ie implying that the Pope was partly responsible for the spread of AIDS.

I could understand what he meant, even though had I had time to think of a retort, it it might have been along the lines of "If the observance by Catholics of principle of chastity and and of the commandment against infidelity was observed, the Pope's stand against contraception would not have made any difference">:eek:

A

angellous_evangellous

While I consider John Paul II one of the greatest popes, he is not above critical review. Review should not be considered as insult unless the review is inflamatory and derrogatory. Considering all review as inflamatory is irrational, even for the most noble of people.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
michel said:
I could understand what he meant, even though had I had time to think of a retort, it it might have been along the lines of "If the observance by Catholics of principle of chastity and and of the commandment against infidelity was observed, the Pope's stand against contraception would not have made any difference">:eek:
Good idea - blame the victims.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Deut. 32.8 said:
Good idea - blame the victims.
Surely the individual has a responsability for his health without having resort to protecting himself using a method totally against his supposed principles ?:confused:

Pah

Uber all member
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=24&art_id=qw1112933886215V325
Rome - The world will miss Pope John Paul II as a great moral leader even if many did not agree with his conservative stance, former United States president Bill Clinton said in an Italian newspaper interview published on Friday.

I also checked the arcives for the Drudge Report and could find no reference at all to Clinton giving insult

I must conclude that the basis for the OP is but another lie for God

Rubbish is a kind word, Deut, for rotten garbage

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
I see nothing insulting in Clinton's comments, and feel he has a right to his opinions. I think all people are on an "equal footing," whether they are presidents, popes or just common, ordinary joes and joanns.

Rex

Founder
retrorich said:
I see nothing insulting in Clinton's comments, and feel he has a right to his opinions. I think all people are on an "equal footing," whether they are presidents, popes or just common, ordinary joes and joanns.
Ditto

ayani

he's like all of us- he may have a mixed legacy
this is very true. the pope may have been a great religious leader, but unless you subscribe to the doctrine of papal infallibility, i don't see why this comment would be enough to outrage people. on the other hand, i agree that Clinton could have chosen a more tactful time (for example, after the funeral) to comment critically on the pope. it's just not good form to criticize someone on the way to their funeral service.

A

angellous_evangellous

gracie said:
this is very true. the pope may have been a great religious leader, but unless you subscribe to the doctrine of papal infallibility, i don't see why this comment would be enough to outrage people. on the other hand, i agree that Clinton could have chosen a more tactful time (for example, after the funeral) to comment critically on the pope. it's just not good form to criticize someone on the way to their funeral service.
True. Ol' Bubba is not a complete idiot. I imagine that there is some context to his comment that warrants his response.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I've found no referance to any 'global outrage' at anything that Clinton said... Surely the BBC would mention SOEMETHING about it... had it happined.

wa:do

Draka

Wonder Woman
I see nothing wrong with what Clinton said. And as for what was mentioned by AE I agree. There was probably some context it was taken from. As for Clinton's timing, well, it is entirely possible, knowing the media, that he was stopped and specifically asked a question that would warrant such a response. It did not sound cruel or unwarranted. In fact it sounded well put and informed. He could not make such a comment without having information on his side and at his disposal.

Dr. Khan

Stop it already!!! Your're making Bill a much greater hero to me than he deserve to be.:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Oh dear. I've read through that article about five times now, and I'm missing what he said was so offensive.

Was it just this?
Matt Drudge reports that Clinton told reporters, the pope "centralized authority in the papacy again and enforced a very conservative theological doctrine. There will be debates about that. The number of Catholics increased by 250 million on his watch. But the numbers of priests didn't. He's like all of us - he may have a mixed legacy."
What's wrong with criticism? *furrows her brow* Unless he went on to say "and the Pope was a meaniepoohead and he's going to be rotting down there now!" I honestly do not understand the outrage.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
You know,

People just love controversey enough that they are willing to create it if there is not enough to satisfy them. Unfortunately, like flies to poo, there is never enough poo to go around.