• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden Halts U.S. Troop Cuts In Germany

esmith

Veteran Member
President Biden has reversed the previous administration plans to reduce the number of U.S. military stationed in Germany until Sec Dev Lloyd Austin makes his recomendations.
Biden halts Trump-ordered US troops cuts in Germany
Speaking at the State Department on Thursday, Biden said the troop pullout would be halted until Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin does a review of America’s troop presence around the globe. Austin, he said, will ensure that “our military footprint is appropriately aligned with our foreign policy and national security priorities.”

exchemist

Veteran Member
President Biden has reversed the previous administration plans to reduce the number of U.S. military stationed in Germany until Sec Dev Lloyd Austin makes his recomendations.
Speaking at the State Department on Thursday, Biden said the troop pullout would be halted until Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin does a review of America’s troop presence around the globe. Austin, he said, will ensure that “our military footprint is appropriately aligned with our foreign policy and national security priorities.”
He also recommitted the USA to NATO, which Trump had thrown into doubt.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

Yes, and?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Always a good idea to take advice, such a shame the previous president never bothered

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Always a good idea to take advice, such a shame the previous president never bothered
It all depends upon who's giving the advice.
Reagan had advisors who opposed his meeting with Gorbachev.

Caution:
I'm not arguing that Trump was as sharp as Reagan.
Just that advise isn't always right.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
But some Americans are making good money off it. :D
Some do.
But it costs us more than they make.
So it's a net financial loss.

Many believe that any time government spends
money, it's an economic boost. But the money
spent is taken from someone. And that is a cost.
So the important thing is to calculate net benefit.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It all depends upon who's giving the advice.
Reagan had advisors who opposed his meeting with Gorbachev.

Caution:
I'm not arguing that Trump was as sharp as Reagan.
Just that advise isn't always right.

But far better than saying "i don't like that and I'm boss so i win" finished with a flourish and a stamp of the foot

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Some do.
But it costs us more than they make.
So it's a net financial loss.

Many believe that any time government spends
money, it's an economic boost. But the money
spent is taken from someone. And that is a cost.
So the important thing is to calculate net benefit.

Yeah, if you can calculate the net benefit using only using money as just money, then yes. But not all economists agree with you on that one. We are again playing different subjective understandings and end in different subjective value systems.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yeah, if you can calculate the net benefit using only using money as just money, then yes. But not all economists agree with you on that one. We are again playing different subjective understandings and end in different subjective value systems.
A useful economic analysis tool is to ignore where
the money goes, & focus upon labor & material.
We send materiel & labor to Germany.
We leave the material there.
The labor eventually returns home.
We get no products, food, or services.
Sounds like a bad deal, unless we get
something not yet mentioned.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
There are any number of reasons an American might think were good enough to station troops in Germany, get back to active involvement in NATO, and -- really -- make America great again in terms of it being at least as capable of projecting decisive American military power with the fastest possible speed to any place on the planet as it was during the Obama administration.

That's as seen through the lens of the number of nations who weren't laughing the hardest they could at us back then, instead of admiring us for our generosity in how many ways we'd given them opportunities to exploit something without enough practical risk to deter them.

If you don't believe any of what I said, I invite you to find some member of the General Staff who would majorly disagree with me. Include the dead if you think their quote might be noticeably relevant here. A fact is a fact, and facts stick around even when no one is looking for or at them. Trump was a loser at maintaining or bettering off America in the world, with only one important and likely exception. Equally likely Biden is someone who'd rub it out even if Trump had never existed. Neoliberalism at its finest.

I'll let you guys find that exception for yourselves, given how much fun I had doing it.

But none of that is even touching on the equal or greater wisdom of also ramping back up our capacity to more or less non-violently influence 'foreign relations' in the broadest sense of the word.

So, looked at only in terms of the value any American could find for his own personal reasons by stationing troops in Germany, the one I bet would be most likely the favorite of most people is one I mentioned to a German woman some years ago as a reason Germany and her were both likely to suffer a little bit because Trump had just gotten made president.

She didn't believe me, argued Germany wasn't connected that way with America. Probably still believes that, given human nature. Ain't no who can't see what they don't want to see.

Here's the game now. If you are someone I'm likely to think capable of learning new facts and interpretations, and your curious about any of this, please PM me. I'll answer all questions -- and as concisely as possible that time around.

On the other hand if you are someone who I'm likely to think habitually toys with anyone who doesn't actually invite it -- regardless of whether that's me or not -- then I invite you to begin your snark whenever you're ready to be most likely ignored.

I enjoy these writing prompts folks give me in order to hone my talents into better skills. That does not mean I'm always interested in assuming I'm obligated to respond to every comment on RF about something I said.

Gods, I'm bored today.