• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Presenting a glimpse of the after-life, where belief (mind) becomes fact (reality)

Ostronomos

Reality is a self-distributed unity or One (non-separation). This unity gives rise to multiplicity (separation). But existence, because it is from that one source, can only be illusion. What we need is to reconcile science and religion. The only thing religion can be faulted for is not being open to serious scrutiny.

Orbit

I'm a planet
I don't think the Bible can ever be reconciled with science. There are too many direct contradictions.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I don't think the Bible can ever be reconciled with science. There are too many direct contradictions.
If one reads the bible for what it is, rather than as a science textbook, there aren't really any contradictions. The main religious denominations have no issue with science.

The supposed intrinsic antagonism between religion and science is largely a myth, invented by an American called Dickson White at the end of the c.19th.
Conflict thesis - Wikipedia

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I see No direct science contradictions with Job 26:7 that Earth hangs upon nothing.
What direct contradiction do you have in mind_________

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
...............The only thing religion can be faulted for is not being open to serious scrutiny.

I find Jesus forewarned us that there are both: genuine 'wheat' Christians and fake 'weed/tares' Christians.
They would both grow together over the centuries until the Harvest Time.
We know a harvest comes at the end of a long growing season.
So, to me it is the fake 'weed/tares' who are not open to serious scrutiny.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Its impossible to ever regard the Bible as a valid science book nor a history book for that matter.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
LOL. How about the earth being 6,000 years old and being created in 6 days?
Yes, how about that un-biblical 6,000 years and 6 literal days teaching ! That is religious-myth teaching.
Thank you for your reply because an inquiring mind wants to know.
I'll start with Genesis 2:4 where all of the 6 creative days are summed up by the single word ' day '.
So, just as we might speak of 'grandfather's day' and know that is Not a 24-hour day but a period of time.
There is nothing in Genesis to indicate that each of the creative days were even of the same or of differing lengths of time.
Even God's 7th Rest Day was still on going in the 1st century as per Hebrews 4:4-11.
So, there is biblically nothing out of harmony with CMBR (Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation) in dating Earth.
I think science agrees that the universe had a beginning just as Genesis 1:1 says there was a beginning.
Where did the power come from to start the universe ________
The Bible gives God's Strength and Power as the source at Isaiah 40:26. - Psalms 104:30
In other words, God supplied the abundantly needed dynamic energy to start the visible material creation.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Its impossible to ever regard the Bible as a valid science book nor a history book for that matter.
The Bible was Not written as a science book, and as far as history when artifacts are discovered they harmonize with Bible history.

I suppose we could say that science is about 'how' to do it, whereas the Bible is more about 'should' we do it !
Just as bad or junk science can be dangerous bad religion is dangerous. Corruption in the clergy class shows that.
Science can be a two-way street: Atomic Energy (good) Atomic Bomb (bad)
Science gives and explanatory world view of things. Science is Not the teacher of morality.
The Bible gives us the ethical view about the way to serve God.