• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Premarital Sex

Doodlebug02

Hi everyone. From what I have read, Hinduism condemns premarital sex. But why is this? Also, are there any Hindus that do not condemn premarital sex? :confused:

Hinduism is a liberal religion. Scripture say one thing, but that was written thousands of years ago. Times change, things change. No God will wag his finger and comdemn you to hell. It is a personal choice and not much condemned as far as i know.

There are no rules or regulations in Hinduism, purely guidelines :) Follow them for your own good, otherwise it is fine. But, as i said, times change.

Doodlebug02

Hinduism is a liberal religion. Scripture say one thing, but that was written thousands of years ago. Times change, things change. No God will wag his finger and comdemn you to hell. It is a personal choice and not much condemned as far as i know.

There are no rules or regulations in Hinduism, purely guidelines :) Follow them for your own good, otherwise it is fine. But, as i said, times change.

Ok thanks Don Penguinoini. :) I appreciate your advice and help. :yes:

nameless

The Creator
According to Hinduism its the mind which analyse whether an action is good or bad, and its the same mind which gives fruit for the action. There is no other external watcher to decide your action.

If anyone has premarital sex, and if he believes that its sin doing that, it will become sin, and also if his life partner come to know about this premarital sex in the future, and if she believe that her partner have cheated her, then it makes premarital sex of her partner sin. If he and his partner feel nothing wrong in doing that, then it is not a sin.
Nothing is good or bad, its the mind which create good and bad.

Doodlebug02

According to Hinduism its the mind which analyse whether an action is good or bad, and its the same mind which gives fruit for the action. There is no other external watcher to decide your action.

If anyone has premarital sex, and if he believes that its sin doing that, it will become sin, and also if his life partner come to know about this premarital sex in the future, and if she believe that her partner have cheated her, then it makes premarital sex of her partner sin. If he and his partner feel nothing wrong in doing that, then it is not a sin.
Nothing is good or bad, its the mind which create good and bad.

Ah ok. Thanks Nameless! :)

santdasji

I ask the same question as Schocher....The word of God does not change. Also its not time that changes, its people that change.

native3

Shrinidhi Kowndinya
wo wo wo wo wait a minute guys...

we are talking about the Condemming of Premarital Sex in hinduism...

yes i agree that premarital Sex is condemed in Sanathana Dharma....

you asked but why is that???

there is a lot of Difference between Westren Culture and Indian Culture...

let me not go for the Western as this questiong is about Hindusim Condemming Premarital Sex...

first of all the Sanathana Dharma gave most prominence to LOVE,DEVOTION & SINCEARITY....

Sex was considered as the Marital Right of the Couple and the Sacred Ceremony for bringing new life to the world....

premarital sex is condemmed because it means you dont have a particular companion for you since you are not married and you may resort to have sex with more than 1 which leads to several health hazards... this is the scientific fact behind it....

and comming to the cultural part..... premarital sex once found by your wife after you marriage forms a barrier in between... the very culture of Hinduism proclaims one women to marry and sustain all the sexual relations with her....

you may be surprised but in india there are majority of the people who think premarital sex in sin and the culture of india is not based on some people opinions...

sanathana dharma is the united religion of all the great beliefs and scientific facts combined... after all its the worlds oldest religion in the history...

comming to the matter of time has changed.... well in some aspects it has changed.... the guidelines give by Hinduism is for you own good... and also the Upanishands wrriten during the time are many still yet to know the meanings of them....

Vedas and Upanishads are not fully understood by any people around the world even today.... hindusim is not a dry religious concept... its ever evolving ever growing....

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Hi everyone. From what I have read, Hinduism condemns premarital sex. But why is this? Also, are there any Hindus that do not condemn premarital sex? :confused:
There is a difference, we would not condemn it (send the person involved to hell), but certainly we do not encourage it because of the many problems involved (STD, pregnancy, emotional disturbances at a young age, etc.). Then again, it happens at a time when both the boy and the girl are students. This disturbs their studies and hindus do not want that to happen. But there have been many cases in history. The Hindi name for India is 'Bharat' after an illustrious personage in mythology and supposedly an emperor, now this gentleman was born out of wedlock when his mother Shakuntala and King Dushyant co-habited. Lord Krishna's grandson, Aniruddha, is supposed to have been abducted by Demon Banasura's daughter, Usha, after she saw his portrait and fell in love with him. Many people believe that Banasura was Asura Benipal of the Sumerians. Lord Krishna had to go on a military expedition to rescue Aniruddha. Now, since Banasura was a devotee of Shiva, Shiva joined the skirmishes on Banasura's behalf. Of course, the story has a nice ending with Banasura's defeat and acceptance of Usha's love for Aniruddha by Krishna and his people. Such associations were known as 'Gandharva' marriages. There have been one-night stands also in hinduism. The compiler of Vedas, and the writer of Mahabharata, Brahma-Sutras, Srimad Bhagawat Purana and others, Sage Vedavyasa was born out of such a union between Sage Parashara and a daughter of fishermen, Satyavati. Hindus also are human. No?

Last edited:

santdasji

A sin must be discriminated from a vice. A sin is an action that harms others mentally or physically and it can be absolved only by experiencing its fruits or by deep prayers of remorse. Bigger sins like murder in a past birth etc cannot be resolved apart from samAdhi or by undergoing the effects.

Activities like masturbation, pre marital sex are not sins, because they do not hurt others. If they do the yare sin. These are also addictions which must be given up if one aspires for spiritual growth. These are activities of materialist people who believe that all life ceases to exist at death. Those who believe in after life will certainly give consideration for spiritual pursuit by gradually erasing out these materialistic tendencies that can trap you in samsAra. Any single addiction will ensure that your spiritual progress will remain blocked until you resolve it. All humans have strong material tendencies like these that weigh us down, but we must overcome them to the extent allowed by the prArabdha Karma. The absence of the will power to overcome such weaknessess is a result of fate, that cant help in spiritual progress. That is where the guru can help - motivation to stay away from sin and vice.

Brahmacharya is considered to be a very supreme quality by all religions. Its value is not to be undermined by considering the difficulty of its practical nature. It is universally accepted that proper practice of Brahmacharya leads to mind control and spiritual growth on its own merit. Zealot Christians of the medieval age were certainly more aware of spirituality than the "present day breed of fallen Hindus" who do not even know the fundamentals of religion, and distort it to suit their taste. One swamiji was found advocating that the use of tobacco in large doses can lead to God realization quickly. Did you know what happened? His diciplies grew in big numbers because this religion was easy and fun to follow. Unfortunately, God was not found, but many found cancer. True religion is hard to follow, and takes a certain amount will power to listen to good advice and follow them.

We need not pass judgements on others, but what should we do to ourselves? There cant be much compromise from a personal point of view unless you have planned to continue to exist in samsAra by bowing down to all your own materialistic desires. The desires trap you at every stage and are limitless and exist in all colors and hues - the objective in spiritual growth is to exercise one's will power and channelize these desires slowly towards God. One should first understand what is good and what is pleasant, before such a transition is ever possible. If you convince yourself that good=pleasant always, then there is no room for real growth.

Wannabe Yogi

Hi everyone. From what I have read, Hinduism condemns premarital sex. But why is this? Also, are there any Hindus that do not condemn premarital sex?

In Hinduism there are 4 goals to human life. Artha (wealth) Kama (desire) Dharma (Good behavior) and Moksa (liberation).

Wealth and sex are great but unless we purify our actions they only lead to suffering. Any action we engage in we must follow Dharma because it will purify our self's to be one with God and find liberation from suffering. ( If that's what you want from life )

There are two ways in Hinduism to purify sex desire :

-One, is to transcend it through celibacy

-Two, is to use sex as a perfect expression of love. Sex becomes worship of the God inside your partner the best way to express this love is through a committed relationship. What is more committed then marriage.

I dont like to see it as Hinduisms condemns any natural part of life. Its all about what you want your life to look like and making your self a better person.

To realize Krishna, or Bhagavan, along with any of His aspects, as either impersonal Brahman or Paramatma , it is necessary to regulate the sexual urge, which is itself merely a perverted reflection, here in the material world, of the transcendental, selfless Love for which we were made. In the system of varnashrama dharma, sexual activity is limited to the gr'hastha ashram (marriage), and eventually "transcended" when Nature terminates a couple's ability to procreate.

ys,
bmd.

When i get older (under the legal age), i do not want to have sex pureley for pro-creation, or to conrol my desires, i want to have fun, do it more than the scriptures may say so.

What is your opinion on that?

Wannabe Yogi

When i get older (under the legal age), i do not want to have sex purely for pro-creation, or to conrol my desires, i want to have fun, do it more than the scriptures may say so.

What is your opinion on that?

Running after Kama should be only done by Adults you are right to wait. You are a very smart and wise young man I bow to you.

Kama is one of the three Hindu goals of life, but we must always follow dharma before we engage in any activity, or leads to chaos and hurt feelings.

Also remember that kama never leads to an end of suffering. ( It is fun when you are doing it, but the fun always comes to an end. ) Desire only leads to more desire. It is only by allowing God to perfect our desires by giving them to Her ( I am a shakti worshiper ) that we are able to realize God on the path of Bhakti. ( I am writing to you about the path of bhakti because that is my impression of your path as you define yourself.) The best path is the right path for your personality.

You are still very young so think about what you want.

Running after Kama should be only done by Adults you are right to wait. You are a very smart and wise young man I bow to you.

Kama is one of the three Hindu goals of life, but we must always follow dharma before we engage in any activity, or leads to chaos and hurt feelings.

Also remember that kama never leads to an end of suffering. ( It is fun when you are doing it, but the fun always comes to an end. ) Desire only leads to more desire. It is only by allowing God to perfect our desires by giving them to Her ( I am a shakti worshiper ) that we are able to realize God on the path of Bhakti. ( I am writing to you about the path of bhakti because that is my impression of your path as you define yourself.) The best path is the right path for your personality.

You are still very young so think about what you want.
Don't you think, that if i gave in to my desire (it sounds like a negative thing, but it isn't in this case), that the my desire would be fullfiled? Therefore, i would not need to continously do it again? I think sex is different from ciggarettes for example, they are created as an addictive thing, whereas sex at time can be a pain. Not in that way ;)

Thanks for the compliments.. :)

Andal

resident hypnotist
Don't you think, that if i gave in to my desire (it sounds like a negative thing, but it isn't in this case), that the my desire would be fullfiled? Therefore, i would not need to continously do it again? I think sex is different from ciggarettes for example, they are created as an addictive thing, whereas sex at time can be a pain. Not in that way ;)

Thanks for the compliments.. :)

If it were true that desire would be fulfilled by us getting want we want, in this case sex, then after you have sex once then there would be no desire or need to do it again. Just like we have a desire for material things but no matter how much we buy, we are still wanting more. Desire spreads like a fire. Sex is no different from alcohol and cigarettes in regards to it's addictive nature. When we have sex we become addicted to the chemicals released in our bodies and we become psychologically addicted.

This is why it is important to approach in terms of the four goals and the four stages of life. This gives an appropriate context for it so that our sexual relationships are healthy and the chance of pain and problems is lessened.

Desire is almost always a part of sexual relationships but love must be present as well. If love and respect are not present then it becomes only a material act with no intrinsic value accepts for one's temporary pleasure.

Remember too that we are not this physical body and having frequent sexual encounters strengthens the illusion that we are this body more than any other activity I can think of.

Hari Om!

If it were true that desire would be fulfilled by us getting want we want, in this case sex, then after you have sex once then there would be no desire or need to do it again. Just like we have a desire for material things but no matter how much we buy, we are still wanting more. Desire spreads like a fire. Sex is no different from alcohol and cigarettes in regards to it's addictive nature. When we have sex we become addicted to the chemicals released in our bodies and we become psychologically addicted.

This is why it is important to approach in terms of the four goals and the four stages of life. This gives an appropriate context for it so that our sexual relationships are healthy and the chance of pain and problems is lessened.

Desire is almost always a part of sexual relationships but love must be present as well. If love and respect are not present then it becomes only a material act with no intrinsic value accepts for one's temporary pleasure.

Remember too that we are not this physical body and having frequent sexual encounters strengthens the illusion that we are this body more than any other activity I can think of.

Hari Om!
Yeah, I can see what you mean. Is it not possible to be able to control yourself, can there not be people who control themselves?

I can get whatcha mean, but I do not see having sex without the element of love can pull one closer to maya, and cause adharma.

I am just a teenager, so it is in me to be absolutely horny as ****. :D