• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Premarital Sex?

Inky

I do respect the desire to not have sex until marriage, and if I was in a relationship with someone of that mindset I would abstain with them if that's what made them comfortable...but I do think it gives many people overblown expectations of what marital sex is like. I know in my church they made it sound like married couples who waited have almost mystically amazing super-sex, like it's this heightened experience totally different from the kind outside of marriage. I've known two different married couples where both partners decided after marriage that if they'd known earlier everything they know now about sex, they wouldn't have waited. The reality didn't match the images and feelings they were taught about it, and when they learned what it was really like they figured the abstinence thing wasn't as big a deal as they'd thought.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I respect your opinion but would have to say that it is "wrong" to squander our soul/our being on anything less than perfection.
How exactly does premarital sex "squander our soul"?

Ummm... not quite.
So you think He was misquoted?

Matthew 5:33-36:

33"Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not break your oath, but keep the oaths you have made to the Lord.' 34But I tell you, Do not swear at all: either by heaven, for it is God's throne; 35or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. 36And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. 37Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.

Smoke

Done here.
I do respect the desire to not have sex until marriage, and if I was in a relationship with someone of that mindset I would abstain with them if that's what made them comfortable...but I do think it gives many people overblown expectations of what marital sex is like. I know in my church they made it sound like married couples who waited have almost mystically amazing super-sex, like it's this heightened experience totally different from the kind outside of marriage. I've known two different married couples where both partners decided after marriage that if they'd known earlier everything they know now about sex, they wouldn't have waited. The reality didn't match the images and feelings they were taught about it, and when they learned what it was really like they figured the abstinence thing wasn't as big a deal as they'd thought.
If you're trying to tell people that they must go through a prolonged waiting period followed by a special ceremony before they can eat, and then they have to eat the same meal for the rest of their lives, you have to try to convince them (and they have to try to convince themselves) that it's the very best meal in the world.

Reminds me of the old Mary Tyler Moore show, when Phyllis explained sex to her daughter, how it was a beautiful, spiritual experience. She told Mary, "I made it sound ... almost real." :rolleyes:

Mercy Not Sacrifice

If you're trying to tell people that they must go through a prolonged waiting period followed by a special ceremony before they can eat, and then they have to eat the same meal for the rest of their lives, you have to try to convince them (and they have to try to convince themselves) that it's the very best meal in the world.

Reminds me of the old Mary Tyler Moore show, when Phyllis explained sex to her daughter, how it was a beautiful, spiritual experience. She told Mary, "I made it sound ... almost real." :rolleyes:

I can make sex sound almost real. :D

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
I'll just say that I believe pre-marital sex in general significantly cheapens sex because it is "performed" outside of a complete and total, lifelong, and unbreakable bond of marriage....
Around 50% of post marital sex is also performed what turns out to be outside of a complete and total, lifelong and unbreakable bond of marriage. Stop getting married you people, you're cheapening the sex.:149:

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
True intimacy cannot be established without complete trust, and vows are meant to provide that trust.
No, the fact the other person has proven their trustworthyness should establish that trust. If you can't truly trust someone based on themselves, then a wedding vow shouldn't - and probably wont - make them suddenly the most rustworthy person in your life.
I imagine there are a slew of people out there who have had a spouse shag the neighbour who would agree.

Hope

Princesinha
No, the fact the other person has proven their trustworthyness should establish that trust. If you can't truly trust someone based on themselves, then a wedding vow shouldn't - and probably wont - make them suddenly the most rustworthy person in your life.
I imagine there are a slew of people out there who have had a spouse shag the neighbour who would agree.

This merely proves exactly what I said earlier about people not taking promises, or vows, seriously enough anymore. It says nothing about vows, and everything about people and their selfishness.

As I said, vows are "meant to provide trust." Obviously, because people no longer take vows seriously, this doesn't happen as it should. I say it's better not to marry at all if you know you can't keep a promise and aren't prepared for self-sacrificing, committed love. Because that's what marriage is all about.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Yep... we are only perfect in heaven.... but it does not mean that we can't, on this earth, strive to be perfect "as our heavenly Father is perfect".... to try for anything less demeans us as human beings.

So the billions of people on this planet who are not Christian and who do not strive to be perfect "as our heavenly Father is perfect" are demeaned as human beings?

I'll let you be the one to break the news to them.

Smoke

Done here.
So the billions of people on this planet who are not Christian and who do not strive to be perfect "as our heavenly Father is perfect" are demeaned as human beings?
Actually, so are the Christians. Jesus never said to strive to be perfect. He said to be perfect. If you're trying but not making it, you're ... not making it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
As I said, vows are "meant to provide trust." Obviously, because people no longer take vows seriously, this doesn't happen as it should. I say it's better not to marry at all if you know you can't keep a promise and aren't prepared for self-sacrificing, committed love. Because that's what marriage is all about.
Also there are social stigmas tied in with unmarried couples living together. I think it's Florida, I am probably wrong though, but it some state it is illegal for an unmarried male and female that are not related to live together. I highly doubt it is enforced, but the law is in the books. Also, there are actually quite a few people who get married just for sex.

shadow_fire

Teens should be given and taught the importance of Condoms. I know I've had sex, and I'm 16. Luckily I'm educated enough to of used a condom. But I fear for others who are (from a religious influence) not taught how and to use condoms.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Teens should be given and taught the importance of Condoms. I know I've had sex, and I'm 16. Luckily I'm educated enough to of used a condom. But I fear for others who are (from a religious influence) not taught how and to use condoms.
I fear even more for those who are taught condoms are virtually useless in preventing pregnancies and the spreading of STD's.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

Yeah. And some of them are probably some of your peers...

Scott1

Yep....
I'll let you be the one to break the news to them.
Ummm.... thought you were better than cracks like this.... oh well.

Scott1

That position seems absurd. On what grounds can it be reasonably asserted that anyone who is not a Christian is demeaned?
No.... to be specific, it includes Christians and non alike... I view this subject in an anthropological sense... we can leave faith references out and I'd still believe we as human beings should strive for the beauty of perfection.
If you find that offensive, you should have heard what I was thinking.
I don't believe I've even been rude to you..????.. or this kind of off topic attack a new Admin thing? Oh well... PM me if you'd like to elaborate on your offensive thoughts.

Peace be with you,
Scott

tcprowling

Does the Commandment " Thou shalt not commit and adultery" restrict or forbid sex outside the bounds of marriage?
For that matter what does that commandment cover? or do we just make our own arrangements with that?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
No.... to be specific, it includes Christians and non alike... I view this subject in an anthropological sense... we can leave faith references out and I'd still believe we as human beings should strive for the beauty of perfection.
Can perfection ever be achieved though? Can you even define perfection, in a non religious since?
And I fail to see how waiting until marriage makes it 'perfect' since marriage is artificial.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Can perfection ever be achieved though? Can you even define perfection, in a non religious since?
And I fail to see how waiting until marriage makes it 'perfect' since marriage is artificial.
Not to mention the whole idea of archetypes or "perfection", which, IMO, is also artificial.