• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Premarital Sex?

UnTheist

Good to hear it... so many people, however, do settle.... most of society feels just fine with taking the scraps from life instead of seeking more... oh well... glad you're not.
But explain to me how pre-marital sex cheapens life.

UnTheist

At least you admitted it was what you believe. So I guess it only applies to you (and others who believe it).

Scott1

At least you admitted it was what you believe. So I guess it only applies to you (and others who believe it).
Well...no.

It's what I believe to be true... and truth is truth for everyone... but I respect everyone's decision to live life as they choose... I'm only giving my opinion that there is MORE pleasure in certain situations than others, however difficult it may be for some to understand.

Thanks for your comments,
S

UnTheist

Well...no.

It's what I believe to be true... and truth is truth for everyone... but I respect everyone's decision to live life as they choose... I'm only giving my opinion that there is MORE pleasure in certain situations than others
Ok...

however difficult it may be for some to understand.
I understand that it's your belief. Thank you for clearing that up

Scott1

I understand that it's your belief. Thank you for clearing that up
Not sure if you were expecting me to quote scientific research done on my "Marital Pleasure Meter 3000 Model XB7" (it's really still in the developmental stage).... but I'm glad you are satisfied with my answer.

UnTheist

Not sure if you were expecting me to quote scientific research done on my "Marital Pleasure Meter 3000 Model XB7" (it's really still in the developmental stage).... but I'm glad you are satisfied with my answer.
What exactly does the research claim, Scott?

Scott1

What exactly does the research claim, Scott?
Like I said... the XB7 is in the developmental stage... the XB6 kept clogging up with the fairy dust we use to operate the phalicwarp drive.... I'm hoping to develop the XB7 and THEN figure out what to research... maybe the ability to detect sarcasm would be helpful for the general public..... might be a money maker.

S

UnTheist

Like I said... the XB7 is in the developmental stage... the XB6 kept clogging up with the fairy dust we use to operate the phalicwarp drive.... I'm hoping to develop the XB7 and THEN figure out what to research... maybe the ability to detect sarcasm would be helpful for the general public..... might be a money maker.

S
Poor me. The thing is I do have a sarcasm radar. I guess I missed yours.

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
Polls consistently show that about 90% of Americans engage in premarital sex. The figures might actually be higher for some European countries. Given that so many people engage in premarital sex, would it not be wise to structure teen sexuality education around the premise that at some point in their lives, most teens will engage in premarital sex, and prepare them for that eventuality by emphasizing the responsible use of condoms, etc.?

Yeah, that makes sense to me. Like I've said before, those of us teens who will not engage in premarital sex have already decided that and don't need a class all about telling us to never have sex. All those other kids are going to do whatever they want no matter what some guidance counselor tells them, so they might as well know the safest and most responsible way to do it...so to speak...

ayani

Sunstone said:
Polls consistently show that about 90% of Americans engage in premarital sex. The figures might actually be higher for some European countries. Given that so many people engage in premarital sex, would it not be wise to structure teen sexuality education around the premise that at some point in their lives, most teens will engage in premarital sex, and prepare them for that eventuality by emphasizing the responsible use of condoms, etc.?

makes perfect sense to me, Sun.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Is there any hard science that suggests premarital sex "cheapens" marital sex or is somehow "cheaper" than marital sex -- or is that just meaningless rhetoric?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Is there any hard science that suggests premarital sex "cheapens" marital sex or is somehow "cheaper" than marital sex -- or is that just meaningless rhetoric?
It's meaningless rhetoric to some, while it's very meaningful to others. Not sure how science can apply to things like "meaningful", "cheapens", etc. Such things can't be measured and are intertwined with people's world views.

As for me, well, Scott pretty much said it all.

Although there are more then enough studies indicating the damage that comes from cohabitating before marriage. One in particular that pops to mind is:
Shacking Up: 40 Reasons Why Not to by Dr. Laura

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Schools do need to teach proper sex ed, rather than myths and lies. While no one will argue that abstinence is the most effective way to not become pregnant or contract a STD, there are ways to help prevent it, and the wishy-washy sex ed my school provided claimed none of them worked that good.
With real sex ed, I'm sure the rate of STD's and teen pregnancies would dramatically drop. People are going to have to sex, and 90% of them is, IMO, a good enough number to change things.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Schools do need to teach proper sex ed, rather than myths and lies. While no one will argue that abstinence is the most effective way to not become pregnant or contract a STD, there are ways to help prevent it, and the wishy-washy sex ed my school provided claimed none of them worked that good.
Abstinence may be the best way to prevent pregnancy and STDs, but teaching abstinence is not. This is because teaching abstinence does not actually lead to people practicing abstinence, generally.

madhatter85

Transhumanist

The act of intercourse is a wonderful thing and is cheapened by premarital sex.

a friend asked me the age-old question "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?" when i told him i was getting married.

without hesitation i said "Because I love the cow, and she gives good milk." (not that my wife is a cow, mind you.... she is far from looking like anything with a hoof)

but yes, i think it cheapens it and makes a mockery of it. same thing for abortion, granted i think there are cases where aborton is acceptable (rape, incest, and the mother's life at stake), but not an abortion for convenience. it cheapens the value of life.

Hope

Princesinha
I agree with Scott on this issue as well.

I think part of the reason people don't see how marriage vows make sex any more meaningful is because so many people these days don't take those vows seriously enough, and don't take promises in general seriously enough.

When you make a promise or a vow to someone with little intention of keeping that promise or vow, then it shows one of two things: either you have no idea what a vow or promise really is, or you do and are simply very selfish and untrustworthy.

When sex is kept within the context of a solemn vow of faithfulness, it allows the two people to trust each other more, and therefore be truly intimate. True intimacy cannot be established without complete trust, and vows are meant to provide that trust.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
When sex is kept within the context of a solemn vow of faithfulness, it allows the two people to trust each other more, and therefore be truly intimate. True intimacy cannot be established without complete trust, and vows are meant to provide that trust.

Are you seriously suggesting that "true intimacy" cannot be established without vows?