• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Preaching Against Other Religions vs. Teaching Your Own

KirbyFan101

Resident Ball of Fluff
Maize said:

We believe in:

• The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
  • Justice, equity, and compassion in human relations;
  • Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
  • A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
  • The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
  • The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
  • Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
Reminds me of the phrase:

Community, Identity, Stability.

Not sure why though... :eek:

greatcalgarian

Mister Emu said:
:huh: I may be very sceptical of anyone claiming to be a prophet... doesn't mean I can't stand that idea of one existing.

Just how did you come to this conclusion?

While I have met many atheists that are some of the most tolerant people I have ever met, tolerance is not nessecarily inherent in athiesm.
Look at all those beautiful postings on RF by atheist, agnostics etc, and you can see they are very tolerant, kind hearted people :D :D :D

The most aggressive one I found on this RF is s2a, however, he is almost alwasys correct in his arguements:mad:

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
greatcalgarian said:
Look at all those beautiful postings on RF by atheist, agnostics etc, and you can see they are very tolerant, kind hearted people :D :D :D

The most aggressive one I found on this RF is s2a, however, he is almost alwasys correct in his arguements:mad:
Sometimes, we "ugly Americans" just can't help ourselves. ;-)

PS: I prefer to think of myself as "confidently assertive", as opposed to "aggressive". I really am a peaceful sort, even whilst prone to occasional error...;-)

KirbyFan101

Resident Ball of Fluff
s2a said:
Sometimes, we "ugly Americans" just can't help ourselves. ;-)

PS: I prefer to think of myself as "confidently assertive", as opposed to "aggressive". I really am a peaceful sort, even whilst prone to occasional error...;-)
Better to be hatefully remembered than to be forgotten, aye s2a! :biglaugh:

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
greatcalgarian said:
Christian cannot stand the idea of another prophet after Jesus Christ. They like to monopolize Jesus according to the dogma developed around 400AD. Thus Christians have been bashing Muslim, even recruiting the President of United State to help by linking Muslims with Terrorists. Similarly is the mentality of bashing Mormons.

Atheists are humanist, hence they will not allow intolerance to flourish. They 'preach' religious freedom.
Wow - I am glad you feel so certain that you can cover all with one sweep - tar the whole spectrum the way you see it. You do yourself no good in credibility by being so judgemental.

I am a Christian; I have NEVER bashed a muslim.

Atheists are humanist, hence they will not allow intolerance to flourish - all of them? - not one or two who aren't 'wonderful' ? and "they will not allow intollerance" I find the most intollerant and smug attitude if ever I heard one.................

Those may be your views, but they are charged with bias and totally unrepresentative of the world I live in.:p

Pah

Uber all member
Mister Emu said:
Yes, most here are tolerant. However that does not force tolerance as a precept of Atheism.
Granted! And there have been some very strong exceptions to the idea of tolerance in Atheism. In fact, I can think of an area or two in which I am very intolerant.

greatcalgarian

Pah said:
Granted! And there have been some very strong exceptions to the idea of tolerance in Atheism. In fact, I can think of an area or two in which I am very intolerant.
Tell us, tell us, which two areas you are not tolerant?

greatcalgarian

michel said:
Wow - I am glad you feel so certain that you can cover all with one sweep - tar the whole spectrum the way you see it. You do yourself no good in credibility by being so judgemental.

I am a Christian; I have NEVER bashed a muslim.

Atheists are humanist, hence they will not allow intolerance to flourish - all of them? - not one or two who aren't 'wonderful' ? and "they will not allow intollerance" I find the most intollerant and smug attitude if ever I heard one.................

Those may be your views, but they are charged with bias and totally unrepresentative of the world I live in.:p
One person's view (my view) is not important, majority view rules. If you agreed that majority of Atheists, Agnostic, Humanists on this RF is toleratnt, and only 50 or less percent of Christians and Religious persons are tolerant, then the first grouping is more tolerant than the 2nd grouping :bounce QED (Quite Easily Done, as one of my Maths teacher used to tell us):D

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
How do you define tolerant? Also, please show that only 50% of Christians meet this imaginary line of tolerance.

greatcalgarian

Mister Emu said:
How do you define tolerant? Also, please show that only 50% of Christians meet this imaginary line of tolerance.
Religious tolerant means accepting the fact that each person can have his or her own belief, respect other person's belief, and no one should make fun of the other person's belief, so long as the action of one person does not impose onto the other person by infringing upon his social rights etc.

No I do not know 50%, I am just saying that that is the yardstick to reach the conclusion if you can reach in your own heart, or feel that that is the figure after reading all the posting by different sect of religious and atheist.

When I said atheist in this RF is more tolerant than the theist, that is how I reach that conclusion, after reading about 10% of the recent postings by a wide spectrum of author. This is my own personal judgement. Every one can make their own conclusion.:D

For example, read this thread:
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17336
where it has been closed due to intolerancy?

greatcalgarian

michel said:
You do yourself no good in credibility by being so judgemental.
Thank You.

Judging another person and saying he or she is judgemental is sort of intolerant behavior :biglaugh:

Let us remove our tendency to judge others, and stand infront of a mirror and ask ourseleves:

Question:" Am I more judgemental than this other guy?"
Answer: "No, I am not judgemental"
Question:"Should I tell this other guy that he is judgemental?"
Answer: "Yes, if you think this can help him"
Question: "How do I know whether it is going to help him or not by telling him that he is being judgemental?"
Answer: "If after he received your comment, he said 'Thank You', then you have helped this person"
Question: "What is my reason for wanting to tell this person that he is judgemental"
Answer: "There are several answers, the first one has been mentioned by you, that is with the intent to help the other person. Other reasons include: to win an arguement, to show displeasure with this person regarding his view on certain matters, etc etc."
Question: "What actually happened if this person did not post a 'Thank You' note, and replied raising other points, side-tracking the issue?"
Answer: "This person is being arguementative, just ignore him":rolleyes:

I am an arguementative person, not judgemental.:bonk:

Pah

Uber all member
greatcalgarian said:
Tell us, tell us, which two areas you are not tolerant?
:biglaugh: Oh yeah sure. You really should read more of my posts. :biglaugh: and you KNOW I never go "off-topic" :biglaugh:

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Now see,

I feel that the theists (save for two) are far less judgmental than the athiests here on RF.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NetDoc said:
Now see,

I feel that the theists (save for two) are far less judgmental than the athiests here on RF.
I think I actually agree with you; but when you think of it, Christianity concentrates on a core of 'love' therefore tends to make Christians less judgemental, despite what the non theists seem to believe!:)

greatcalgarian

NetDoc said:
Now see,

Who are these two theists? Tell me, tell me, tell me please?

Let us make some scientific statistic study to verify Netdoc statement:
Evidence:
Netdoc less judgmental than Pah
Michel less judgmental than GreatCalgarian
Scott1 less judgmental than s2a
Katzpur less judgmental than Mr Spinkle
Okay, guess the case is strong enough and proven.:eek:

Guys, do not take this post too seriously, just trying to brighten up this place:bounce

greatcalgarian

michel said:
I think I actually agree with you; but when you think of it, Christianity concentrates on a core of 'love' therefore tends to make Christians less judgemental, despite what the non theists seem to believe!:)
I presume the statement means that non-theists are less loving than Christians?

Or does it mean that non theists are incapable or less capable of showing love compared to Christians?

Or is it still the same hidden feeling that "I am holier than thou" attitude that enhanced and consolidate your feeling and conclusion that Christians are less judgemental?

greatcalgarian

Read this article on the Humanist page, and you can see why I said that non-theists are more tolerant:
http://www.secularhumanism.org/library/fi/bullough_22_2.htm

One major change brought about by the terrorist attacks of September 11, has been to inject a new group into the religious equation—the Muslims; this will strengthen multiculturalism and further weaken the influence of groups that hold that the United States is or must become a Christian nation. In order not to alienate our potential Islamic allies the president, most of the press, and the U.S. political establishment have encouraged mass education about Islam. Large numbers of American Muslims who had more or less deliberately kept a low profile have emerged to claim their place in the religious pantheon. We are quite clearly no longer a Christian or even a Judeo-Christian country, but a multireligious one in which Muslims have an important place. In the process, other groups—Sikhs, Hindus, Buddhists, Parsees, Orthodox Christians, and others who have also long been silent—have also emerged to national prominence and are insisting on their rights. Quite clearly, most U.S. citizens still belong to one religion or another, but the only way disparate groups can be held together is in a tolerant secular state, something humanists very much want. It is also the only way the United States can defeat terrorism.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
If I were to say the things about "other" religions that atheists are allowed to say about Christianity, I would be censured on a daily basis.