• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pre-Islamic Tayammum?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I came across the Islamic concept of Tayammum today (dry ablution with earth/sand/dust). Such a form of ablution is mentioned in the Talmud, but I was wondering whether this was something that was done in pre-Islamic Arabian societies/religions too. Does anyone know? Sources would be appreciated.

Jedster

I came across the Islamic concept of Tayammum today (dry ablution with earth/sand/dust). Such a form of ablution is mentioned in the Talmud, but I was wondering whether this was something that was done in pre-Islamic Arabian societies/religions too. Does anyone know? Sources would be appreciated.
I don't know about the origin, however, I was once in the Negev desert with a friend(who identified as a Karaite) and he told me this method. I.e we washed our hands in the sand.