• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Praying to God for self benefit

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
To me, prayer to Allah for something i "need" is not a righterous way to pray.
Prayer to gain advice or wisdom about our situation is right.

What you think prayer is?

Dialogue with god (well, with me, family). Saying how you're doing and thank you every day. Acts of gratitude and being in silence. I do ask for things because it doesn't feel selfish but just asking any family member alive or not for help. I don't see an issue asking God for things you need.

If your heart is in the right place when asking, it just means you trust God will help you out-like family. I always found it odd people don't feel right asking their God for things. If their God is like a father to them, God would know the difference.

Prayer is a pretty peaceful gesture and dialogue with god, gods, spirits, family, so gave you. Just be.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Dialogue with god (well, with me, family). Saying how you're doing and thank you every day. Acts of gratitude and being on silence. I do ask for things because it doesn't feel selfish but just asking any family member alive or not for help. I don't see an issue asking God for things you need.

If your heart is in the right place when asking, it just means you trust God will help you out-like family. I always found it odd people don't feel right asking their God for things. If theur God is like a father to them, God would know the difference.

Prayer is a pretty peaceful gesture and dialogue with god, gods, spirits, family, so gave you. Just be.
A dialog with God like.
"God what may i do to better my situation?"
Or "God i need guidance" that to me would be a Nice prayer.
But to day "God fix my problem" that won't be good :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I think it depends very much on how we define 'need'. In praying for self-improvement, we're looking to improve ourselves, so that in turn we can be more effective and contributing members of society. It's not a selfish prayer because the long term result benefits others. But other 'needs' are more like wants.

I also think it's fair to keep in mind that we should do the best we can on our own rather than rely on God. For example, in positive self-talk, we can use the affirmation, "All my needs will always be met", rather than praying to God for it. In a way, praying like that, is admitting defeat ... I'm incapable so I need God's help."

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I think it depends very much on how we define 'need'. In praying for self-improvement, we're looking to improve ourselves, so that in turn we can be more effective and contributing members of society. It's not a selfish prayer because the long term result benefits others. But other 'needs' are more like wants.

I also think it's fair to keep in mind that we should do the best we can on our own rather than rely on God. For example, in positive self-talk, we can use the affirmation, "All my needs will always be met", rather than praying to God for it. In a way, praying like that, is admitting defeat ... I'm incapable so I need God's help."
I agree with much you say here.
The "need" many seem to pray for is materalistic gain, and not wisdom

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I agree with much you say here.
The "need" many seem to pray for is materalistic gain, and not wisdom

I view some of the prayers as rather silly ... the 'need' to win a game, or thanking God for winning a game ... the entire 'God is on my side' mentality. In real wars, its the same. A more fitting prayer, in that instance would be to pray that talk can lead to a non-violent resolution, not for God to give you a bigger gun.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
What if the solution is within our own grasp? That to gain from it we must go through the difficulties to learn from it? Instead of running away from it?

I would say asking god for something, if your heart is in the right place, would not be to put god to the test or assume god would do what you want him to do. Rather, it's a gesture of knowing he would provide and letting him hear what your desires are whether material or wisdom or so have you. You still believe god would provide but asking for something wouldn't exclude that.

In a relationship, if one person asks the other for, say, a hug and the other doesn't return the hug it doesn't mean that person didn't love him or her. The love is still there just it wasn't the right timing. The intentions are genuine. The other person wouldn't love you less nor get made at you for the gesture. But to make that gesture in itself shows he trusts the person he loves to receive (not expect to receive).

-

I wouldn't say "must". To me, that's like saying a child must feel pain in order to know what no pain is like. That, or someone saying their friend or stranger should loose a loved one to know what it's like and learn love and empathy. I assume difficulties in life isn't something we choose to have to learn something. We choose to learn from our mistakes and difficulties. Running away in some instances is pretty smart. For example, if someone was in danger or perceived danger, the body sees it as a threat. To force our physiology to face that threat because we want to have wisdom is pretty much the opposite of what I think god would want someone to do....

When I had my spiritual experiences and concluded it all had to do with protection (some people say theirs is love, some grace, etc), I thought not to take such things for granted. So, if I asked for protection, it's without strings attached.

Anyway. I could go on. But in general, if the solution is within your grasp, ask god for support. Instead of seeing you must go through difficulties to learn something, learn from difficulties you can't control-choose which difficulties to learn from. Running away is the body's natural reaction to threat, fear, and so forth. It's not bad in itself-I would think god would want you to protect yourself. The focus would be on asking his support.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I would say asking god for something, if your heart is in the right place, would not be to put god to the test or assume god would do what you want him to do. Rather, it's a gesture of knowing he would provide and letting him hear what your desires are whether material or wisdom or so have you. You still believe god would provide but asking for something wouldn't exclude that.

In a relationship, if one person asks the other for, say, a hug and the other doesn't return the hug it doesn't mean that person didn't love him or her. The love is still there just it wasn't the right timing. The intentions are genuine. The other person wouldn't love you less nor get made at you for the gesture. But to make that gesture in itself shows he trusts the person he loves to receive (not expect to receive).

-

I wouldn't say "must". To me, that's like saying a child must feel pain in order to know what no pain is like. That, or someone saying their friend or stranger should loose a loved one to know what it's like and learn love and empathy. I assume difficulties in life isn't something we choose to have to learn something. We choose to learn from our mistakes and difficulties. Running away in some instances is pretty smart. For example, if someone was in danger or perceived danger, the body sees it as a threat. To force our physiology to face that threat because we want to have wisdom is pretty much the opposite of what I think god would want someone to do....

When I had my spiritual experiences and concluded it all had to do with protection (some people say theirs is love, some grace, etc), I thought not to take such things for granted. So, if I asked for protection, it's without strings attached.

Anyway. I could go on. But in general, if the solution is within your grasp, ask god for support. Instead of seeing you must go through difficulties to learn something, learn from difficulties you can't control-choose which difficulties to learn from. Running away is the body's natural reaction to threat, fear, and so forth. It's not bad in itself-I would think god would want you to protect yourself. The focus would be on asking his support.
Thank you for a very nice answer:)

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

As an atheist, I see prayer as a waste of time. And if I were a theist, then prayer would also be a waste of time for most people, namely the one who do not pray to my God.

However, it is possible that it serves some psychological need. Sometimes, talking to ourself about our problems helps to find a solution.

ciao

- viole

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

There are all types of prayers.

As you noted, asking for wisdom is good.

For Christians, praying for others is part of our lifestyle but, as Jesus said, "Give us this day our daily bread" -- so praying for oneself is also included.

I like the Lord's prayer that contains many types of prayer:

Our Father who art in Heaven hallowed be thy name... Prayer of praise for who He is and for our relationship with Him
Thy Kingdom come thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven - prayers of faith and declaratory prayers
Give us the day our daily bread - prayer for personal needs. Prayer of petitions. Praying for wisdom etc.
Forgive our trespasses as we forgive others - Cleansing of oneself, prayer of repentance, keeping offenses out of ones life
For thine is the Kingdom, the power and the glory forever - finishing with more praise prayers.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
There are all types of prayers.

As you noted, asking for wisdom is good.

For Christians, praying for others is part of our lifestyle but, as Jesus said, "Give us this day our daily bread" -- so praying for oneself is also included.

I like the Lord's prayer that contains many types of prayer:

Our Father who art in Heaven hallowed be thy name... Prayer of praise for who He is and for our relationship with Him
Thy Kingdom come thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven - prayers of faith and declaratory prayers
Give us the day our daily bread - prayer for personal needs. Prayer of petitions. Praying for wisdom etc.
Forgive our trespasses as we forgive others - Cleansing of oneself, prayer of repentance, keeping offenses out of ones life
For thine is the Kingdom, the power and the glory forever - finishing with more praise prayers.
Do i remember correct that for a Christian the Lords prayer is the only prayer needed? Or is there other mandatory prayers?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Do i remember correct that for a Christian the Lords prayer is the only prayer needed? Or is there other mandatory prayers?

I don't think i would call them "mandatory"...but rather one uses the "keys of the Kingdom" to implement God's will on the earth.

Even when Jesus spoke about this particular prayer, he said, "and when you pray" - giving the understanding of choice IMV.

But, yes, there are other prayers...

Intercessory, prayer of agreement and others. :)

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
A dialog with God like.
"God what may i do to better my situation?"
Or "God i need guidance" that to me would be a Nice prayer.
But to day "God fix my problem" that won't be good :)

I don't understand.

How is asking for guidance to tackle problems not the same as basically asking god to fix your problem? Or at least help you to fix your problem?

If you are supposed to fix your own problems, why ask for anything in that context?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Why doesn't "asking for advice or wisdom" count as asking for something you need / want?
Asking for guidance how to come closer to God is to ask about the path or asking for guidance to become more pure that is what religion is about.
Asking for materalistic gain was nothing to do with getting closer to God