1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Praying for answers = cheating?

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by 1137, Jun 25, 2014.

1. 9-10ths_Penguin

9-10ths_Penguin 1/10 Riboflavin
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +13,981
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    Getting help answering questions on an exam is cheating. Was the prayer an attempt to get help or not?

2. Sees

Sees Dragonslayer

Ratings:
    +2,832
    Religion:
    Ásatrú - Path of Heroes™
    Assuming that God for that person or any other is an outside force/entity? I would eat said teacher alive in this case :)

3. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Crazy Diamond

Ratings:
    +19,270
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    I wonder how many consider the use of logical deduction on multiple choice to be cheating? Or finding patterns in quizzes that reveal the correct answer?

Satan would slap you silly for not sufficiently preparing and asking for his help.

4. Freedomelf

Freedomelf Active Member

Ratings:
    +38
    I think, if the teacher is that sure of the existence of God, that he would appreciate another like-minded soul, who is sure of the existence of God. That he doesn't appreciate his own kindred spirit shows that perhaps there is a paradox there, and his mind is still struggling with God himself. In other words, maybe he is trying to rip God, when he is ripping the paper in half. The student is just a bystander in his rage. Something to ponder.

5. Willamena

Willamena Just me
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,414
    Religion:
    Mystics
    And irrational, which is unfortunate for a professor of philosophy.

6. Willamena

Willamena Just me
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,414
    Religion:
    Mystics
    A metaphysical model. The answers that "God gives" are not distinct from the answers that you derive.

7. 1137

1137 | O.S. Co-founder
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,930
    Religion:
    Order of the Serpent
    It's still different. I can think about answers all I want; I can't ask my neighbor.

8. Sleeppy

Sleeppy Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.

Ratings:
    +405
    Don't get caught.

9. Sees

Sees Dragonslayer

Ratings:
    +2,832
    Religion:
    Ásatrú - Path of Heroes™
    You can if you are using telepathy :) or if this neighbor is so integral or connected to your being that mere thoughts communicate...

This whole scenario is a theological issue and the teacher's theology isn't relevant. The praying student could make the case that it's no different than thoughts to yourself that you do your best and any outside sign is used to enhance focus.

10. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Misanthropic Humanist

Ratings:
    +9,148
    I say let him pray and fail the test on his own.

11. InChrist

InChrist Free4ever

Ratings:
    +1,374
    For a Bible believing Christian, anyway, the point is God. And the scriptures give clear instruction that one's motivation and intent while praying is to be God's will.

So He said to them, “When you pray, say: Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done On earth as it is in heaven.Luke 11:2

You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures. James 4:3

12. ChristineES

ChristineES Tiggerism
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,199
    Religion:
    Disciple of Yeshua.
    It seems to me he was attacking the guy just because he's religious. There is no way I could prove it, but that is the feeling I get from it. If the professor was not a religious man, he wouldn't believe that the student could get an answer.

13. InChrist

InChrist Free4ever

Ratings:
    +1,374

I think you are right. A professor who doesn't believe in God or prayer would not think a student would be able to aquire answers to the test through prayer. So as you have concluded it certainly appears that by tearing up the student's test he was simply and blatantly attacking the student's faith.

14. 1137

1137 | O.S. Co-founder
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,930
    Religion:
    Order of the Serpent
    It would be irrelevant if the professor is a believer. Maybe you try to look at the paper of the druggy next to you. The teacher knows the druggy won't pass but it's still cheating.

15. 4consideration

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,908
    I think the professor doesn't need to be teaching a philosophy of religion class.

IMO, he doesn't seem to understand the concept of omnipresence that, if believed by the student, means that God is everywhere -- meaning there is no place God in not -- so that God would necessarily also be within each person.

Any answer derived from a prayer said by the student would be an answer received and information produced, from within. That would mean no external assistance was sought, but assistance through a connection that is unable to be broken -- and present for all, at all times.

I wonder, does the professor also tear up the exams of students that are asking their mind for answers?

It seems the professor is demonstrating his own belief in a duality between spirit and matter, with his assumption that God is "out there".

• Like Like x 2
  16. 1137

1137 | O.S. Co-founder
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,930
    Religion:
    Order of the Serpent
    The student specifically states he was asking God for answers. Not looking internally.

17. 4consideration

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,908
    If he had his hands covering his face, as described in the OP, he was not looking externally.

18. 1137

1137 | O.S. Co-founder
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,930
    Religion:
    Order of the Serpent
    Playing semantics?

19. 4consideration

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,908
    Literally.

edit: Everything else about the scenario was the professor's own projection. That's how I see it.

20. nash8

nash8 Da man, when I walk thru!

Ratings:
    +68
    Studying the material helps you get answers on an exam... is that cheating?