• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prayers for a material cause... opinions welcome

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Vannakkam:

I will be of no assistance whatsoever I'm sure. Sounds way too troubling for comments over the internet, but I'll make one anyway. Religion, especially strong darshan, or energy, as with some drugs, can intensify any experience. So it'll make you happier if you're happy already, but also make you more depressed if you're leaning that way.

My son was at a vortex of energy many years ago, (the monastery I'm associated with) got depressed, and was sent home. Gurudeva recommended nature as the healer.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yeah, Vinyaka, there will be different paths for different people. What I follow is not for my family. But we chugh along happily.

Shantanu

Namaste Shantanu,

It is one thing whether we strive to offer solace to others, but at best, it is better not to ridicule or trivialize the problems of those whom you encounter.

Do you know of the agony the young man goes through, every single time he complains of 'voices' inside his brain?

I'm not talking about some idle spoilt / billionaire kid who has got every resource to support him through his entire life, if in similar situation.

I'm talking about the stigma, the pain, the agony and the suffering the individual and his family goes through.

Whatever you do, please do not pass on such lame and insulting comments again to the suffering.

Sorry I can also be frank.
I am not trivialising the issue of mental illness. I had a brilliant scientific career, was married with a child when at the age of 40 was struck with mental illness. This was caused by a inner power that was guiding me into my action. I lost my career I because I understood this inner power to be saying to me to abandon the career iand move on to higher things in life. This led me to investigate and discover God through the process of satya-advaita which I have blogged. Doctors regarded me to be a lunatic suffering over 20 years from a mental disorder called persistent delusional disorder. God had takes over the reigns of my body and mind to cause me this disability. This may be happening to your nephew. Talk to the doctors saying I have suggested this.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
Namaste friends,

I appreciate and value all your comments.

I have been prone to depression (major) myself during my younger days. For one thing, I know very well that it is not only a wrong or incorrect thinking pattern that distills the illness, it is also physiological for the most part. That is, mental illness deserves treatment with medicines. It is a concrete illness and not something imaginary that many people think about it as.

Given that explanation, religious and god-believing that I am, I have decidedly taken the path of worship to devatas and to treating the affected with medicines as some means whereby the illness can be kept in check. Of course, there is yet a very important third alternative, that is, to provide with a soothing environment for the affected, a change perhaps, which might aid him feel better and I believe Vinayaka ji and Shantanu ji are emphasizing that. It is very well noted and in fact, my sister has been providing all that, including some form of occupational and pshychiatric counselling therapy to the affected for a long time now... Just that, we have all become extremely concerned that owing to the way the affected is behaving, which is being confined to bed every day through out all waking hours at age 25 is akin to being reduced to the state of a vegetable and it is not a joyous site to the on-looker nor it is a blissful experience for the concerned.

People pray for various causes, including invoking god of rain asking for drought-relief and for world peace. If mental illness of someone so young, and also near and dear, cannot be qualified for systematic prayers and worship. what else is?

I will stop here as I think I have conveyed what I intended to say, this being Hindu forum on a religious platform, and majority of us here are worshipers of some form of deity, praying and asking for suggestions on that is not inappropriate to have asked about. Therefore, my OP. Hope you all understand my predicament.

Many thanks.

ajay0

It is said that 'Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.'

I recently met a man who is a caretaker for my grandfather, and his teenage son suffering from ADHD.

With a few years treatment, and rest, he is now getting to be more normal and productive.

I similarly know of a friend of mine in college suffering from psychological issues along with skin disease. While visiting him at home, his father, who takes deep care of him, told me that his mother once reacted impatiently and harshly seeing her son's withdrawn nature, which actually made him more withdrawn later on.

So patience and acceptance is key in such cases, failing which it might aggravate the situation. Hope this helps.

Shantanu

It is said that 'Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.'

I recently met a man who is a caretaker for my grandfather, and his teenage son suffering from ADHD.

With a few years treatment, and rest, he is now getting to be more normal and productive.

I similarly know of a friend of mine in college suffering from psychological issues along with skin disease. While visiting him at home, his father, who takes deep care of him, told me that his mother once reacted impatiently and harshly seeing her son's withdrawn nature, which actually made him more withdrawn later on.

So patience and acceptance is key in such cases, failing which it might aggravate the situation. Hope this helps.
Of course it helps to be patient and accepting. That is what's advaita teaches a person. But one must always follow ones instincts and not rely on prayers because what Krisha consciousness has taught me is that one must be self-reliant.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
Sorry, this thread is asking for prayers and not asking for opinions on whether prayers can be done. There is a difference. There is no point in thrusting one's personal opinions on someone who believes in the power of prayers. Never solicited this kind of response for this thread.

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member
Take him to a place where a large group is chanting the gAyatri for vishwa shanti.
If not, he can listen with a family member on you tube - not the sing song one.

This chant is most effective - is my experience :

Om

At first it is fine if he does not want to sit upright to listen, but slowly this should be encouraged.
Then, after a few days of regular listening, the family member should encourage him to chant with the video, they should also chant,

With a simple request to the Sai Baba mandir authorities, they will agree to play the chant at a fixed time in the morning when he visits the Temple. Someone should go with him and encourage him to chant,

and/OR

In the afternoon, play the bhAgwat katha or bhakti channel in his mother tongue where he can watch and listen, if he shows interest in that,

Perhaps an occasional Sai katha in the Sai temple with a small group, not a big crowd, if he can relate to that

The key is to engage him - so as to enable his relationship with paramAtmA, and distract him from destructive/useless thoughts that lead nowhere

Last edited: