• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prayers for a material cause... opinions welcome

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
Namaste,

My 2nd nephew has been suffering from strange mental illness for 7 yrs now. While young, as a school boy, he used to be a good student and passed all the grades until high school senior. But then after that, at age 15+, some mysterious mental illness, identified as a version of Schizophrenia has struck him. He has been actively placed under treatment for all this time, without any merit.

Prayers are the only resort. Last year, I tried praying to Ganapathi ji for his cause for 1 mandala (48 days) having recited Vinayagar agawal 24 times every single day. To this day, my prarthana has not yielded any major benefit to him.

Not doubting the prarthana, but isn't it said, the amount of prarthana needed is proportionate to the amount of sin? I believe my prarthana might not be sufficient.

His own mom, my sister, has been trying all sorts of prayers, recently started Narayaneeyam, to Lord Shri Guruvayoorappan for my 2nd nephew's cause... To this day, that hasn't changed anything.

At this time, I request my readers to kindly suggest any effective prayers/remedies, etc. to counter this condition for my nephew. Do you know of any prayer that has helped a mentally sick relative or friend of yours? Or any visit to any shrine? Any thoughts on prayers already done?

Many thanks.

* Please be free with your suggestions, I have this gut feeling or instinct, if some recommendation really strikes a chord somewhere, I am planning to pursue that... which is the reason for me posting my question here. Thanks again.

Last edited:

ajay0

I know of physical illnesses cured by intake of prana/chi through reiki, pranic healing, Sudarshan Kriya and so on. Ayurvedic medical system too have cured health issues which allopathic doctors have dismissed as incurable. Satsang with enlightened sages are also known to effect physical cures due to this principle of prana transmission.

But I am not aware of mental illnesses cured by above systems except for trauma relief and depression.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
Yes, true, also personal involvement and participation in any system is of utmost importance, and that is missing in our particular case. That is, if one is personally involved in praying for one's welfare, and gives out the best he can, it might add more depth to the prayer, than someone like me casually praying. But this time around, I have decided to try my best, for as long as it takes to see some result. Thanks for the kind reply.

ajay0

Personal contact with enlightened masters like Mata Amritanandamayi or Sri Sri Ravi Shankar can be helpful. You can even write letters to them highlighting the issue without even meeting them. It might elicit a favorable response.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Where is he being treated? Is it with allopathic medicines or medicines of some other system (Homeopathy, Ayurvedic, Siddha, Unani)? Perhaps you can try some other doctor. There are doctors who would purposely keep a patient ill to squeeze out money. There have been two incidents in my knowledge.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I can’t offer anything in the way of medical advice, but I pray Lord Dhanvantari, the Divine Physician to intervene and give your nephew health and peace, and to you and your family also.

oṁ namo bhagavate mahāsudharshanāya
vasudevāya dhanvantaraye amrutha kalaśa hasthāya
sarva bhaya vinasāya sarva roka nivaranāya
thri lokāya pathaye thri lokāya nithaye
sri mahāvishnu swarupa sri dhanvantari swarupa
sri sri sri aushata chakra narayana namaḥ

oṁ tat purushāya vidmahe
amritha kalaśa hastāya dhimahi
tanno dhanvantari prachodayat

oṁ śrī dhanvantaraye namaḥ

3E082A22-4A19-43B9-B441-A773652E2ADF.jpeg

Shantanu

Namaste,

My 2nd nephew has been suffering from strange mental illness for 7 yrs now. While young, as a school boy, he used to be a good student and passed all the grades until high school senior. But then after that, at age 15+, some mysterious mental illness, identified as a version of Schizophrenia has struck him. He has been actively placed under treatment for all this time, without any merit.

Prayers are the only resort. Last year, I tried praying to Ganapathi ji for his cause for 1 mandala (48 days) having recited Vinayagar agawal 24 times every single day. To this day, my prarthana has not yielded any major benefit to him.

Not doubting the prarthana, but isn't it said, the amount of prarthana needed is proportionate to the amount of sin? I believe my prarthana might not be sufficient.

His own mom, my sister, has been trying all sorts of prayers, recently started Narayaneeyam, to Lord Shri Guruvayoorappan for my 2nd nephew's cause... To this day, that hasn't changed anything.

At this time, I request my readers to kindly suggest any effective prayers/remedies, etc. to counter this condition for my nephew. Do you know of any prayer that has helped a mentally sick relative or friend of yours? Or any visit to any shrine? Any thoughts on prayers already done?

Many thanks.

* Please be free with your suggestions, I have this gut feeling or instinct, if some recommendation really strikes a chord somewhere, I am planning to pursue that... which is the reason for me posting my question here. Thanks again.
Does your nephew accept that he is mentally ill?

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
Where is he being treated? Is it with allopathic medicines or medicines of some other system (Homeopathy, Ayurvedic, Siddha, Unani)? Perhaps you can try some other doctor. There are doctors who would purposely keep a patient ill to squeeze out money. There have been two incidents in my knowledge.

Ji, he has been seen by several doctors... Allopathic medicine. Also some times, the ECT / shock treatments have been given too. To no avail though.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
I can’t offer anything in the way of medical advice, but I pray Lord Dhanvantari, the Divine Physician to intervene and give your nephew health and peace, and to you and your family also.

oṁ tat purushāya vidmahe

View attachment 25093

Appreciate your reply, Jai ji! I too thought of praying to Dhavantari bhagwan. I will browse more on his gayathri and also ask for more opinions on the topic of praying to Dhanvantari bhagwan. Thank you very much.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
Does your nephew accept that he is mentally ill?

OMG! He all the time refuses to move out and go anywhere because he is so afraid of getting neurotic and manic attacks... he is in a world of his own complaining all the time of mental illness, even if others encourage him to no end to give a try to pursuing some activities for part of the day at least.

Shantanu

OMG! He all the time refuses to move out and go anywhere because he is so afraid of getting neurotic and manic attacks... he is in a world of his own complaining all the time of mental illness, even if others encourage him to no end to give a try to pursuing some activities for part of the day at least.
How is his personal hygiene: does he brush his teeth each morning and night, have daily baths without being prompted, eat food normally at set times and sleep well at night or even day?

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
How is his personal hygiene: does he brush his teeth each morning and night, have daily baths without being prompted, eat food normally at set times and sleep well at night or even day?

Not sure of his brushing habits, but I am aware that he takes daily bath.

Up until recently, his routine has been to wake up in the morning, take a bath, go to Shirdi Saibaba temple (near their home), run a few errands as asked, and come back, and then immediately, to go to bed again. He literally sleeps the whole day and night, every single day.

He has been taking a lot of medicines, up until now. For the past 1 week, my sister told me she stopped his meds. He seems sleepless now.

He had been eating properly. Now for past 1 week when medicines have been stopped, has not eaten well.

This turn of events, that medicine has been stopped fully, is very scary news to me.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!

oṁ tat purushāya vidmahe

View attachment 25093

I am writing again to express my thanks to Jai ji for mentioning Dhanvantari bhagwan. I took a quick browse and it seems that this being the eve of Diwali, it is an especially auspicious season to propitiate Lord Dhanavantari.

But there are various Dhanvantari mantras being suggested, which one to choose?

I want to recite 108 * 12 times each day, of that mantra most apt for this boy's condition. Can anyone suggest, please? Thanks.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Jai, not 'roka', but 'roga'. Not 'aushata' but 'aushadha'. The mantra generally follows South-Indian pronunciation (which is no problem). :)

Viraja, depression (I am no doctor, but have a nephew with some of these symptoms. Was a brilliant student but something went wrong around the age of 16/17. Though he is not that bad. Completed his maters in Mathematics and presently is a teacher at Air Force School here. He continues to be under medication). Going to Sai Baba temple is not going to help. May trigger new problems (over religiousness, superstitions, that would distance him from worldly life).

ps: Choose any mantra. They are equally effective once the deity gets your request.

Last edited:

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
Thanks Aup ji. I have decided to go with Dhanvantari mantra / gayathri and also if possible, to recite to Vaideeswaran (Muruga).

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Jai, not 'roka', but 'roga'. Not 'aushata' but 'aushadha'. The mantra generally follows South-Indian pronunciation (which is no problem). :)

Thanks. Transliterations are all over the map sometimes (no pun intended :D).

ajay0

Up until recently, his routine has been to wake up in the morning, take a bath, go to Shirdi Saibaba temple (near their home), run a few errands as asked, and come back, and then immediately, to go to bed again. He literally sleeps the whole day and night, every single day.

Why does he go to the Shirdi Sai temple ! Does he have any spiritual interests or longing for peace and serenity! Have you talked to him or uncovered his interests or patterns !

Since he shows intelligence and initiative to some extent as shown by his adherence to routine to some extent, going to temples, running errands, you can , if possible, encourage him to chant Om or Om Namah Shivaya mantra. These mantras are known to be helpful in increasing prana, healing health issues, warding off negativity.

Again, this has to be done in a sensitive manner after gauging his receptivity. Letting him listen to mantras from a tape recorder can also be helpful.

Being in the company of nature, parks or pets may also relax him .

It is also important to be calm, peaceful and composed before him through your own sadhana so as to transmit healing and calming vibes to him as well.

Shantanu

Up until recently, his routine has been to wake up in the morning, take a bath, go to Shirdi Saibaba ytemple (near their home), run a few errands as asked, and come back, and then immediately, to go to bed again. He literally sleeps the whole day and night, every single day.

He has been taking a lot of medicines, up until now. For the past 1 week, my sister told me she stopped his meds. He seems sleepless now.

He had been eating properly. Now for past 1 week when medicines have been stopped, has not eaten well.

This turn of events, that medicine has been stopped fully, is very scary news to me.
It looks like he takes care of himself and is religious. That means he does not do any harm to himself or to anyone else. He just does not want to bet involved in the rat race. He just sleeps when he has nothing to do. He does not watch television to pass his time nor does he want to play sports or study. He does not want a job. I would leave him alone. He is doing everything he needs to for survival as he has got people who care for him.

To be frank you are worrying too much trying to mould him into a respectable person which he does not want.
God makes him the way he is. Please accept him and do your best to keep him happy and contented as a human being with feelings. Prayers are wrong and why should a God listen to you interfering in someone else's life.

Sorry to be frank.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
Namaste Shantanu,

It is one thing whether we strive to offer solace to others, but at best, it is better not to ridicule or trivialize the problems of those whom you encounter.

Do you know of the agony the young man goes through, every single time he complains of 'voices' inside his brain?

I'm not talking about some idle spoilt / billionaire kid who has got every resource to support him through his entire life, if in similar situation.

I'm talking about the stigma, the pain, the agony and the suffering the individual and his family goes through.

Whatever you do, please do not pass on such lame and insulting comments again to the suffering.

Sorry I can also be frank.