• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prayer: The Miracle of a Literal Super-Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

djhwoodwerks

I can pray to God that I get a job so that I can take care of my family. If I get the job then I have to judge whether or not I got the job because God answered my prayer or if it was because I was the most qualified applicant. I don't see how that is judging God.

Only a person that doesn't believe in God could say something like that. If you believed in God, and believed in prayer, when you prayed and asked for a good job you would believe God gave it to you.

QuestioningMind

It's not part of God's plan to help you win the lottery or swindle a promotion out of your company, simply because you pray for it.

Rather presumptuous. But carry on- God loves you anyway, even if you want to assess his conduct against your own flaws.

Wow, what's with your attitude? I'm simply responding to the post you started claiming that prayer is a super-power. How is praying to God for a job to help feed and house your family like asking to win the lottery or swindle a promotion? When a person is desperate to pay bills and keep a roof over the heads of their children, isn't it natural for people to pray to God that they land a job they desperately need?

All I'm asking you is if I DO land that job, how can I tell if I landed it because I was the most qualified and the person who interviewed me really liked me or if it was God's answer to my prayer? You think that that's presumptuous? How about you telling me that 'God loves me anyway', just because I dared to ask you a simply question? Now THAT'S presumptuous. And how is asking if I got the job because of the prayers or because the employer just wanted to hire me assessing His conduct against my own flaws?

Your inability to answer a few simple questions suggests that you have absolutely nothing to back up your claim that prayer is a superpower.

QuestioningMind

Only a person that doesn't believe in God could say something like that. If you believed in God, and believed in prayer, when you prayed and asked for a good job you would believe God gave it to you.

That's an interesting claim. So anyone who believes in God and believes in prayer thinks that every single thing they pray for that comes to pass is due to God's direct intervention. I wasn't aware that there were theists who believed that.

I still don't see how that makes prayer a superpower.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Yes, there are definitely many things that science cannot explain.

No, there is a science behind all things. However, it is our current knowledge and understanding of science that cannot yet explain some things. In the past for example, we had no knowledge or understanding of how thunder and lightning worked, but that did not mean that it was Thor working his magic. In time, as we studied and learned, we came to know and understand how it does work. Yes, there are things that we're not able to explain right now, but that doesn't mean that we won't be able to later. It's okay to leave the gaps blank until we find the right puzzle piece that fits. We don't have to fill them in with unsubstantiated presumptions.

Last edited:

Grumpuss

Wow, what's with your attitude? I'm simply responding to the post you started claiming that prayer is a super-power. How is praying to God for a job to help feed and house your family like asking to win the lottery or swindle a promotion? When a person is desperate to pay bills and keep a roof over the heads of their children, isn't it natural for people to pray to God that they land a job they desperately need?

All I'm asking you is if I DO land that job, how can I tell if I landed it because I was the most qualified and the person who interviewed me really liked me or if it was God's answer to my prayer? You think that that's presumptuous? How about you telling me that 'God loves me anyway', just because I dared to ask you a simply question? Now THAT'S presumptuous. And how is asking if I got the job because of the prayers or because the employer just wanted to hire me assessing His conduct against my own flaws?

Your inability to answer a few simple questions suggests that you have absolutely nothing to back up your claim that prayer is a superpower.
You're deflecting an awful lot, and seem really angry. It's okay to dislike ideas and not pray to any God, but you seem to have an incredible disdain for people.

The example given was, "why can't God give me a promotion when I pray for it". Somehow you've twisted that to be "feed and house" a family. Tell me, are they starving and homeless already, or do you need a handout to prevent such conditions in an uncertain future?

It's time for you to be honest. You don't actually have an open mind to pray to The Lord. You just want to be argumentative and attack others, rather be even the slightest bit introspective.

A Vestigial Mote

"That I fear"? I don't fear, there was a day when I didn't believe there was a God, but I met Him, He found me so I have seen it from both perspectives!
From the tone and content of your replies to me, I genuinely feel that you have never held disbelief like mine, or circumnavigated many aspects of the moral and "love-based" conundrums that (at least I STRONGLY feel) exist when one imagines that God exists, considering what we actually experience versus what is taught or explained as His supposed desires or plans for us. Not trying to imply that my position is objectively superior (though it is from the standpoint of satisfying me, definitely), or tha I have any answers - in fact, when contemplating God's existence all I have ever obtained in recompense is a series of more questions - questions that I can find no adequate answers to. Not within my own meandering, nor from within the words or "wisdom" of believers.

Last edited:

djhwoodwerks

That's an interesting claim. So anyone who believes in God and believes in prayer thinks that every single thing they pray for that comes to pass is due to God's direct intervention. I wasn't aware that there were theists who believed that.

I still don't see how that makes prayer a superpower.

No. Even the demons believe in God!

James 2:19 (ESV Strong's) 19 You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder!

That would depend on what they ask for.

John 16:23-24 (ESV Strong's) 23 In that day you will ask nothing of me. Truly, truly, I say to you, whatever you ask of the Father in my name, he will give it to you. 24 Until now you have asked nothing in my name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full.

James 4:2-3 (ESV Strong's) 2 You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask. 3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions.

DavidFirth

No, there is a science behind all things. However, it is our current knowledge and understanding of science that cannot yet explain some things. In the past for example, we had no knowledge or understanding of how thunder and lightning worked, but that did not mean that it was Thor working his magic. In time, as we studied and learned, we came to know and understand how it does work. Yes, there are things that we're not able to explain right now, but that doesn't mean that we won't be able to later. It's okay to leave the gaps blank until we find the right puzzle piece that fits. We don't have to pull fill them with unsubstantiated presumptions.

Maybe I should have that there many things scientists cannot explain.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
No. Even the demons believe in God!

James 2:19 (ESV Strong's) 19 You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder!

Even them? Amazing.

By the way: what demons?

That would depend on what they ask for.

John 16:23-24 (ESV Strong's) 23 In that day you will ask nothing of me. Truly, truly, I say to you, whatever you ask of the Father in my name, he will give it to you. 24 Until now you have asked nothing in my name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full.

James 4:2-3 (ESV Strong's) 2 You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask. 3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions.

So, when I asked and did not receive, is that because I asked wrongly?

Are you aware that I could replace praying to God with praying to my iPad and use the same explanation to justify the same exact hit ratio that I get when praying to both of them?

Ciao

- viole

djhwoodwerks

Are you aware that I could replace praying to God with praying to my iPad and use the same explanation to justify the same exact hit ratio that I get when praying to both of them?

I guess that sucks for you, huh! You'd probably have just as much faith praying to your iPad.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I guess that sucks for you, huh! You'd probably have just as much faith praying to your iPad.

Not really. My iPad has also some mysterious ways to anwer prayers. But the expected return seems to be identical. With the bonus that my iPad has actually some evidence to exist.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

djhwoodwerks

Not really. My iPad has also some mysterious ways to anwer prayers. But the expected return seems to be identical. With the bonus that my iPad has actually some evidence to exist.

Ciao

- viole

I guess some people need to see to believe, and some people don't! I for one don't need to see to believe!!

John 20:28-29 (ESV Strong's) Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!” 29 Jesus said to him, “Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

DavidFirth

this is nothing more than you claiming you are right until proven wrong without you supporting your claim ast sll.

Just so you know, that is not how it works in honest discussion.

Sure it is. It is much better than, "We're right because most scientists think we are."

I'm being honest. The latter is simply the fallacy of arguing from authority.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Sure it is. It is much better than, "We're right because most scientists think we are."

I'm being honest. The latter is simply the fallacy of arguing from authority.
Ah, so you are merely stating you will go with your beliefs regardless of what facts show them not likely.

Gotcha

Status
Not open for further replies.