• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pray Away. (the gay)

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Do you think that a pedophile can help his attractions? ...do not play the 'that's obviously wrong' card.
No, I dont' think a pedophile can help his attraction. But he can make choices whether to act on it or not. The first is not sin, the second is.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
For me, I find the beginning of my path to my own personal enlightenment, to be not thinking that everyone needs saved or a Savior, and even if they do, the solution to that problem may not always be the Abrahamic God or Christ. For example, I consider my own hell I fear, not to be eternal damnation, but rather the chaos of my own mind and living with my own choices. If God can save me from that, I might additionally consider him a Savior of mine, but he hasn't and/or won't. So for me, I find what I need elsewhere. My path to overcoming my own hell is better taken through me and my choices, rather than through God/Christ, as there comes a point where you have to stop wishing for a knight in shining armor that doesn't come, and save yourself (to use an analogy).

DNB

Christian
Would it not be more wise to say "In my belief so and so is a sin" because if people do not believe as you do, they will feel as if you are God and trying to deside for everyone what they should do.

Being humble and speak from our heart, yes.
It has only been with you that I have made an appeal to God's laws. All my other arguments were based on biological and sociological evidence - I was attempting to be axiomatic about it, which I believe that it is.

DNB

Christian
No, this is not the definition of dementia. Lots of people believe in beings that do not exist, and they do not suffer from dementia.
If dementia is a deterioration of one's mental faculties, and believing in absurdities is not derived from such an effect, that's fine, then let's leave it as delusional. I just wanted to be the first to emphasize the extreme irrationality of talking and praying to something that does not exist.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Like I said, mammals share a common DNA structure simply by virtue of their basic constitution. If by chance humans and apes share more in common than the rest (as would be expected by design alone), simply reflects a biological similarity, not necessarily an ancestral one.
What you really need to start detecting are the differences, and that's where the key lies - it is not only a human's intellect that profoundly differentiates species from other mammals, but, again, his spiritual awareness and sense of justice (for better or for worse). There is no DNA or gene for such a perception and attribute.
There are genes that regulate brain size and complexity.

There are animals which apear to have some degree of moral agency, for example what do you make of Dr De Waal's experiments? (you can read about them in the link below);

Chimps and Bonobos Prove that Moral Behavior is a Product of Evolution

In my opinion

DNB

Christian
No, I dont' think a pedophile can help his attraction. But he can make choices whether to act on it or not. The first is not sin, the second is.
If we're talking about righteousness, then thoughts are sinful, there is no contest to that.
If it's merely about punishment, then, yes, only actions apply.

DNB

Christian
There are genes that regulate brain size and complexity.

There are animals which apear to have some degree of moral agency, for example what do you make of Dr De Waal's experiments? (you can read about them in the link below);

Chimps and Bonobos Prove that Moral Behavior is a Product of Evolution

In my opinion
No time to read what is self-evident. The influences that act upon man, clearly denote both a diabolical and sublime realm. There is no rational explanation for racism or vice, it is depravity and hedonism. War, rape and kidnapping, cannot be justified by any argument of pragmatism - it is purely selfishness, avarice and hate. These are not quantifiable traits, and they are not sentiments and practices that are sustainable - life will become chaotic and destructive. And yet, these activities have prevailed predominantly throughout human history ever since man's inception.
There is clearly a force that affects man's judgment, typically for the worse, despite his faculties being capable of much greater things.
There is a spiritual warfare going on, not an intellectual one, otherwise man would've won and there would be no senseless suffering.

danieldemol

Premium Member
There is no rational explanation for racism or vice
Actually racism comes from fear of the unknown, and vices arise from environmental factors and / or genetics and brain defects.

In the battle between the spirit and the body (ie the flesh) it makes sense to know one's enemy, and it is ultimately science which can tell us the workings of the brain and body, not religion which is based on primitive ideas and outdated information.

In my opinion.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
If dementia is a deterioration of one's mental faculties, and believing in absurdities is not derived from such an effect, that's fine, then let's leave it as delusional. I just wanted to be the first to emphasize the extreme irrationality of talking and praying to something that does not exist.
I'm just saying, all down through history, people have believed in beings that don't exist. It's not dementia.

danieldemol

Premium Member
There is a spiritual warfare going on, not an intellectual one, otherwise man would've won and there would be no senseless suffering.

Suffering has been greatly reduced thanks to science, therefore it is clear that some battles in the war have been won, and this is evidence that it is an intellectual struggle.

Although I can see why the ministers of religion urge you to shun the intellect as it would inevitably lead you away from their dishonest religions based on untruths.

In my opinion.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Time for you to open your eyes - what a notion.
More a notion of where do you get your evidence - given that some of us don't take a religious text as authority and hence build up our knowledge and beliefs as appropriate. Others like yourself apparently don't.

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
No time to read what is self-evident. The influences that act upon man, clearly denote both a diabolical and sublime realm. There is no rational explanation for racism or vice, it is depravity and hedonism. War, rape and kidnapping, cannot be justified by any argument of pragmatism - it is purely selfishness, avarice and hate. These are not quantifiable traits, and they are not sentiments and practices that are sustainable - life will become chaotic and destructive. And yet, these activities have prevailed predominantly throughout human history ever since man's inception.
There is clearly a force that affects man's judgment, typically for the worse, despite his faculties being capable of much greater things.
Perhaps the warfare is actually going on between our inherited animal nature (derived over millions of years) and our 'new minds', which have developed mostly from language development, associated thinking, and subsequent capabilities (and relatively recently), and which makes more sense than your spiritual warfare nonsense. And when exactly was man's inception?

Last edited:

DNB

Christian
Actually racism comes from fear of the unknown, and vices arise from environmental factors and / or genetics and brain defects.

In the battle between the spirit and the body (ie the flesh) it makes sense to know one's enemy, and it is ultimately science which can tell us the workings of the brain and body, not religion which is based on primitive ideas and outdated information.

In my opinion.
For cryin' out loud Daniel, get serious. Racism is not xenophobia, it is a wicked person trying to justify his bigotries, and cover up his own ineptitude.

People lust after superficial items, whereas a wise man does not - his thoughts transcend the physaical realm. There is no congruity between science and the spirit.

DNB

Christian
I'm just saying, all down through history, people have believed in beings that don't exist. It's not dementia.
My point IC, was that if there is no God, then of course, it is a serious delusion and pyschosis (better word) to believe that God exists.

DNB

Christian
Suffering has been greatly reduced thanks to science, therefore it is clear that some battles in the war have been won, and this is evidence that it is an intellectual struggle.

Although I can see why the ministers of religion urge you to shun the intellect as it would inevitably lead you away from their dishonest religions based on untruths.

In my opinion.
For crying out loud - sufferings come from man's injustices, one to another! I'm not talking about natural disasters or medical infirmities.

DNB

Christian
More a notion of where do you get your evidence - given that some of us don't take a religious text as authority and hence build up our knowledge and beliefs as appropriate. Others like yourself apparently don't.
Sorry, evidence for what?

DNB

Christian
Perhaps the warfare is actually going on between our inherited animal nature (derived over millions of years) and our 'new minds', which have developed mostly from language development, associated thinking, and subsequent capabilities (and relatively recently), and which makes more sense than your spiritual warfare nonsense. And when exactly was man's inception?
Man's enemy is not his inability to discern and implement just standards, it is his propensity to be avaricious, lascivious and entitled. This is the warfare.,

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Man's enemy is not his inability to discern and implement just standards, it is his propensity to be avaricious, lascivious and entitled. This is the warfare.,
Might be so if one was to be selective and project this on to all, but seemingly we aren't all like this.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Sorry, evidence for what?
Evidence for anything. You (I would propose), like many others but with a different text perhaps, are persuaded first by such a text and therefore react to anything that might contradict this. Whether such is homosexuality, evolution, or perhaps morality, for example. Others don't have this as a bias.