• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prasad in Shiva temples without salt?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Is it true that in Shiva temples you get only food without salt?
Why?
Where did you get this information? Shiva temples come in large varieties, and vary a lot regionally. With or without salt seems a fairly minor concern to me.

Shrew

I read this in a biography of Ramana Maharishi.
Whenever he went to the Shiva temple to beg for food, they gave him food without salt.
The author write 'because it was a Shiva temple the food was without salt.'
I wonder about the customs regarding what kind of food is served in temples depending on the main deity.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I read this in a biography of Ramana Maharishi.
Whenever he went to the Shiva temple to beg for food, they gave him food without salt.
I wonder about the customs regarding what kind of food is served in temples depending on the main deity.

That's one temple ... Arunachalesvara Temple - Wikipedia

In the South prasad from the temple is generally just some form of rice. This is the first time I've heard of 'no salt' but come to think of it most South style temples here where I've taken prasad has been something simple. The meals are a different matter. It's cooked and served in a separate hall, served by volunteers, and isn't food offered to the deities, but as a temple 'feeding the pilgrims' program.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Quite possible. I have not been to Arunachalam. Have been given prasada in Karnataka, Kerala. Sweet, a mixture with jaggery. Salt is a taste enhancer and may not be liked by some mendicants, not sattvic. However, we can get our dose of salt and carbohydrates in normal food, enough for bodily needs. Additional salt and sugar are not necessities.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't know about salt, but what about the devotees who want to avoid MSG? What's the Shaivite position on that?

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I don't know about salt, but what about the devotees who want to avoid MSG? What's the Shaivite position on that.
There is no Shaivite position, but there may be positions within individual Shaiva sampradayas. Just as Hinduism has no one leader, one set of rules, neither does Shaivism. There is no position within my sampradaya other than 'everything in moderation'.

But what Aup said about salt and sugar is absolutely true. There is no need to supplement much. Indian food is generally too salty and sugary for good health.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I don't know about salt, but what about the devotees who want to avoid MSG? What's the Shaivite position on that?
True devotees here (in India) will not encounter MSG as they do not buy such things. They prepare there own dal, roti, rice, vegs.
And (edit): Chutneys and pappadams.

dal-chawal-sabji-roti-platter.JPG

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Please, what is MSG?
MSG? See ManSinha's post, above.

MSG was routinely added to food in Chinese restaurants, till a massive anti-MSG campaign by health purists took it off the menu.
It's become a trope, and alludes to overblown dietary alarmism. That's the sense in which I used it in post #7. I was being humorous.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
MSG? See ManSinha's post, above.

MSG was routinely added to food in Chinese restaurants, till a massive anti-MSG campaign by health purists took it off the menu.
It's become a trope, and alludes to overblown dietary alarmism. That's the sense in which I used it in post #7. I was being humorous.

This was right before the DMHO scare. The difference is that manufacturers are still putting DMHO in our food (and drinks) and the FDA and other regulatory authorities just turn a blind eye to this practice. :mad:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
This was right before the DMHO scare. The difference is that manufacturers are still putting DMHO in our food (and drinks) and the FDA and other regulatory authorities just turn a blind eye to this practice. :mad:

Well, y'know the FDA is a puppet of the manufacturers and suppliers of DMHO. There's huge lobby. It even spans the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans!

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Well, y'know the FDA is a puppet of the manufacturers and suppliers of DMHO. There's huge lobby. It even spans the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans!

I use the watered down version, but only rarely. It's a lot wetter than the regular stuff.