• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prana and Consciousness

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Maya as in delusion?

Illusion. We’re not all delusional. :D

And yes.

Prana would be part of the (how to say) physical world but not reality that exists without Maya?

This is my understanding, yes.

I'm wondering, that's true, prana exists as maya because without the physical body, prana no longer exists in it???

I would say it exists as a result of Maya.

Prana (life force; energy) cannot be created or destroyed. It exists in vyavaharika (transactional reality) with or without a physical body.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Consciousness: Chetnā , Chaitanya, Bodha, Sangyā, Samvedā (there are other words also, I have given the common ones)
The first two related to wakefulness, the last three relation to knowing.
A very good site to know Sanskrit equivalents of English words or vice-versa is Sanskrit Dictionary for Spoken Sanskrit / Sanskrit Dictionary for Spoken Sanskrit
@SalixIncendium also may kindly note. They have a nascent teaching page also.

The video in #16 was the closest I understood of the pranas. I don't know anything about Sanskrit to maneuver through the sites you posted though.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I was speaking from the Eastern perspective on consciousness.

I don't see a specific relation between consciousness and prana, as in my understanding, the latter is a product of Maya and exists only in transactional reality, while the former transcends this reality.
The opposite poles unite in Hinduism, Salix. Though I would go with your explanation, but friends like @atanu will have strong objection to it. They will say "Prajnanam Brahma" (Consciousness is Brahman). :)
I don't know anything about Sanskrit to maneuver through the sites you posted though.
In case anyone want the meaning of a word from Sanskrit to English, just type that in Roman. And if you want from English to Sanskrit, again type the word in the box provided.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The opposite poles unite in Hinduism, Salix. Though I would go with your explanation, but friends like @atanu will have strong objection to it. They will say "Prajnanam Brahma" (Consciousness is Brahman). :)In case anyone want the meaning of a word from Sanskrit to English, just type that in Roman. And if you want from English to Sanskrit, again type the word in the box provided.

Roman?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Consciousness: Chetnā , Chaitanya, Bodha, Sangyā, Samvedā (there are other words also, I have given the common ones)
The first two related to wakefulness, the last three relation to knowing.
A very good site to know Sanskrit equivalents of English words or vice-versa is Sanskrit Dictionary for Spoken Sanskrit / Sanskrit Dictionary for Spoken Sanskrit
@SalixIncendium also may kindly note. They have a nascent teaching page also.

Since I don't know Sanskrit it's hard to know what I'm reading in English translation and in what cultural context.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
That is how we write Krishna, Rama, according to vowels and consonants - as we speak.
I do not know what is it called technically, but some one will help.

The links are if you ever want to know word or word meanings and not in RF so that one of the members here can explain. Of course, Wikipedia also will explain it in detail and lucidly.

firedragon

Veteran Member
What's the difference between prana and consciousness? that and prana and qi?

I know they are different; what are their differences?

1. Prana = In essence Prana means "life". For example, in the Buddhist panchaseela, it says "Panathipatha Veramani" to denote not to take life as in do not kill a living being. Thats of course in Pali but its basically the same thing. In Sanskrit, Pra means "Prior, before or earlier, or Principle". And "an" means "life" coming from "to breath in" or "Blow". Life Principle is the deeper meaning. Vitality.

2. Consciousness can be taken as a variable or static. Yet most would consider consciousness as a variable. Scientifically if you get into this biological study of consciousness it becomes objective by default. But consciousness is absolutely subjective. How two people perceive one single painting is absolutely different. Philosophers call it Qualia. Consciousness is your apprehension or/and appreciation of existence, within you, and external to you.

This is not life or life principle. It is not "prana". Consciousness is Chittha or Chith.

3. Qi is the Japanese version of Chi. Same thing. A lot of people consider Chi and Prana to be philosophically the same thing. I think they are. But in practice there are certain differences. The Chinese philosophy of Chi has projection depending on your mastering of your chi which generally decreases since birth and only upon your subjective progress do you advance. In Hinduism I believe you have to be an expert to comment because I believe it is too vast in epistemology.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
The opposite poles unite in Hinduism, Salix. Though I would go with your explanation, but friends like @atanu will have strong objection to it. They will say "Prajnanam Brahma" (Consciousness is Brahman). :)

If @atanu et al had objection to what I said, they likely missed the point of what I was saying. Since this isn't a debate forum, I will only go as far as to say I agree with both them and the Mahavakyas.

We can certainly have a more detailed discussion about the nature of consciousness in either Same Faith Debates or One-On-One Debates and the hash out the difference between Advaita Vedanta and Advaita Charvaka regarding the nature of consciousness. I'm sure we can learn from each other, or at least more about one another's views. :)

atanu

Premium Member
If @atanu et al had objection to what I said, they likely missed the point of what I was saying. Since this isn't a debate forum, I will only go as far as to say I agree with both them and the Mahavakyas.

We can certainly have a more detailed discussion about the nature of consciousness in either Same Faith Debates or One-On-One Debates and the hash out the difference between Advaita Vedanta and Advaita Charvaka regarding the nature of consciousness. I'm sure we can learn from each other, or at least more about one another's views. :)

Hello @SalixIncendium

I am coming here after some time. Did I contradict your view? I do not find it in this post. In fact I agree to your view.

:)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Hello @SalixIncendium

I am coming here after some time. Did I contradict your view? I do not find it in this post. In fact I agree to your view.

:)

No contradiction at all. I think there was just a simple misunderstanding in what I was saying in my original post in this thread.