• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Practical Meditation Techniques

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
My humble understanding about meditation is that today's understanding of meditation is not true meditation. It is either relaxation therapy by stopping thoughts which is very healthy or it is an attempt to attain some personal state of mind for oneself.

True meditation has for its goal the service of mankind. If I meditate on a verse of say the Buddha, the end result should be an action or deed which is of benefit to society.

If I am only meditating for myself that to me would be more relaxation therapy than meditation.

So step one is to select a passage from any Holy Book as those Words are very powerful. Meditate and reflect on its meaning. Then meditate on how it can be translated into action. Then ACT. Service to humanity being the outcome not just some personal good feeling.

The world needs action. Meditation can help us solve many problems if we use it for the service of others.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
My humble understanding about meditation is that today's understanding of meditation is not true meditation. It is either relaxation therapy by stopping thoughts which is very healthy or it is an attempt to attain some personal state of mind for oneself.

True meditation has for its goal the service of mankind. If I meditate on a verse of say the Buddha, the end result should be an action or deed which is of benefit to society.

If I am only meditating for myself that to me would be more relaxation therapy than meditation.

So step one is to select a passage from any Holy Book as those Words are very powerful. Meditate and reflect on its meaning. Then meditate on how it can be translated into action. Then ACT. Service to humanity being the outcome not just some personal good feeling.

The world needs action. Meditation can help us solve many problems if we use it for the service of others.
What you are describing is contemplation, not meditation, in the formal sense. For what it's worth, I get that the Abrahamic faiths don't really understand the concept of meditation in the Eastern sense.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
What you are describing is contemplation, not meditation, in the formal sense. For what it's worth, I get that the Abrahamic faiths don't really understand the concept of meditation in the Eastern sense.

I lived in Burma and studied meditation there over a period of 5 years and the best form of meditation I found is the form of meditation which is followed by noble actions and good deeds.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I lived in Burma and studied meditation there over a period of 5 years and the best form of meditation I found is the form of meditation which is followed by noble actions and good deeds.

"Best" is a pretty subjective assessment. One of the things I wager the OP wants to get out of this thread is a presentation of diverse methods of the discipline so that they (and perhaps others) might find a form of meditation that they enjoy. I've personally seen so many different styles, I'd be hard pressed to call any particular style "best" as I've found all of them to be worthwhile even as I acknowledge some forms work better for me than others.

In the interest of exploring more different varieties of meditation, do you you think you could share a little bit more about your experiences with us?

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
"Best" is a pretty subjective assessment. One of the things I wager the OP wants to get out of this thread is a presentation of diverse methods of the discipline so that they (and perhaps others) might find a form of meditation that they enjoy. I've personally seen so many different styles, I'd be hard pressed to call any particular style "best" as I've found all of them to be worthwhile even as I acknowledge some forms work better for me than others.

In the interest of exploring more different varieties of meditation, do you you think you could share a little bit more about your experiences with us?

Meditation bestows various degrees of enlightenment. During meditation we may receive inspiration or just peace and contentment depending what we use it for.

Please excuse if this is a bit long but it explains one process combining contemplation, reflection, prayer and meditation to solve problems which anyone can use. The Words of Buddha are ideal to use also with this method. I found it more helpful than the intense focus exercises taught at the Pagodas and monasteries where we had to eat and do everything in slow motion.

1st: Pray and meditate about it. Use the prayers of the Manifestations of God as they have the greatest power. Then remain in the silence of contemplation for a few minutes.

2nd: Arrive at a decision and hold this. This decision is usually born during the contemplation. It may seem almost impossible of accomplishment but if it seems to be as answer to a prayer or a way of solving the problem, then immediately take the next step.

3rd: Have determination to carry the decision through. Many fail here. The decision, budding into determination, is blighted and instead becomes a wish or a vague longing. When determination is born, immediately take the next step.

4th: Have faith and confidence that the power will flow through you, the right way will appear, the door will open, the right thought, the right message, the right principle or the right book will be given you. Have confidence, and the right thing will come to your need. Then, as you rise from prayer, take at once the fifth step.

5th: Then, he said, lastly, ACT; act as though it had all been answered. Then act with tireless, ceaseless energy. And as you act, you, yourself, will become a magnet, which will attract more power to your being, until you become an unobstructed channel for the Divine power to flow through you. Many pray but do not remain for the last half of the first step. Some who meditate arrive at a decision, but fail to hold it. Few have the determination to carry the decision through, still fewer have the confidence that the right thing will come to their need. But how many remember to act as though it had all been answered?

How true are those words – “Greater than the prayer is the spirit in which it is uttered” and greater than the way it is uttered is the spirit in which it is carried out.