• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Practical Hinduism?

Onkara

A common man is a householder, one who is not eager for moksa and does not have time to dedicate himself to Vedic studies.

Hello
That's pretty much what I am trying to suggest is an erroneous view because:

1) It is is an assumption that householders are always householders and can never change. There have been exceptions and religious paths who cater for householder liberation.

2) Also it is an assumption that being a householder implies that one is not "eager for moksha". All it takes to refute it is one householder who is eager.

Lastly if all is Brahman, then what is a householder if not already Brahman and why does the thought arise.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Eager for moksha, in most schools, means willing to become a renunciate. Brahmins are not renunciates, and renunciates most often aren't from the Brahmin caste.

Last edited:

bp789

Well, in most Vaishnava schools, being a renunciate is not necessary to attain moksha. We believe that it is possible to be a householder, but still be willing to attain moksha at the same time. It's just considered tougher because while renunciates are spending their entire lives focusing on God, householders have to find a balance between worldly life and spiritual life. The point is to remember God in everything you do and chant his name, so that you'll be with God.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Well, in most Vaishnava schools, being a renunciate is not necessary to attain moksha. We believe that it is possible to be a householder, but still be willing to attain moksha at the same time. It's just considered tougher because while renunciates are spending their entire lives focusing on God, householders have to find a balance between worldly life and spiritual life. The point is to remember God in everything you do and chant his name, so that you'll be with God.

Yes, schools do vary, and so does the definition of moksha, and the idea of how it is attained. But I don't want to derail the thread. I think practical Hinduism does exist, but some people are so intent on the philosophy, they practically forget the practical stuff.

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
And yet the punishment for a Sudra who listens to a Veda recitation is to have his ears filled with molten lead
Many well known Vedic scholars of Arya Samaj eariler were shudras and now they are vedic Brahmins and their ears were fine. May be they developed resistance against molten lead.

We only have what the ancients did to go by. All law books prohibit women and Shudras from Vedic studies.
Law books like Manusmriti?? The manusmriti is corrupted but still it contains verses that allows all to read scripture. Also no single verse from the authority scripture of Hinduism "vedas" are against women.

And when I say No, you'll say I have no authority to speak on the matter
I only asked, before making such claims, do you have knowledge of Vedas??

Name the books for the common man, so far you have been unable to name a single one.
All Hindu books are for common people. what other book you want for your "common men" who have no time to study? Books like "how to cook in 2 min" or "101 ways to live happy". :facepalm:

Satyamavejayanti

=vistascan;3323212]Hello.

Namaste

As one sided as this text sounds, I can see that it is easy to come to this conclusion. The Upanishads and commentaries, which are the first places one goes to to know about Hinduism constantly talk about how desires bind one to samsara, how one must give up stuff etc.

it is obviously a one sided view of Hinduism, are you sure this is the Subject of all the Upanishads, or only a few?

The Upanishads are Philosophy based on the Veda and Brahmanas and Aranyakas, a lot of subjects are discussed and a lot of illustrations are provided to get a most poetical philosophical view of the subject dealt within the Vedas and earlier texts.

The Gita to me is a summary of the Upanishads Philosophy, and the Gita does not ever advise us to give up this life.

The mimansa school, which does not pay heed to moksa, instead goes on about Vedic rituals, preferring to talk in detail about how rituals are to be done, but nothing secular is talked about.

Vadic rituals are a integral part of Hinduism, Mimamsa is not meant to talk about Moksha as it is not the subject discussed in it and is not the purpose of the texts. Indians have a tradition of keeping different subjects separate in texts.

We see some basic ethics in the Yoga sutras, (Yama and niyama), but these again are steps on the road to liberation.

Moksha is the ultimate goal of all Hindus, Yama and Niyama are a basic guide to do good karma in order to attain Moksha.

In the Dharma shashtras and Dharma sutras, we see ritual penances, casteism, misogyny, and how Brahmins are superior, but again nothing secular.

Dharma Shastras and Dharma Sutra are not regarded as authoritative any more, these are most of the time been interpolated or corrupted. But in any case with these we can take the Good and leave the Bad, there is no blasphemy in doing so.

In contrast, on the Abrahamic Judaism side, the Rabbis are most likely to give out practical advice for the common man. Books such as Pirkei Avot and Mesillas Yesharim are no nonsense guides to living, which nonetheless depend on the Torah.

Does these text consider that the Individuality of the "Common Man" as well, or just one size fits all, can you provide some references?

So, I have to ask, how far do you think this characterisation of Hinduism is justified?

I don't think it can be justified, because it has not taken the view and lifestyle of all the Hindus in the world.

Do you know of sources of ethics or daily living for the common man?

The Bhagvad Gita and Ramayana through illustrations of Dharmah and life situations and Rig, Yajur, Sama and Atharva Veda as being the up most authority in all matters, and the texts of the Six systems of Philosophy, the Vedanga the Upavedas, the Puranas with devotional emphasis on life and all the texts of Hinduism ever written, all have dealt with every aspect of life while still catering for the individual.

Plus what people have to understand is that Hinduism provides Guides of the art of living, and does not command someone to follow a specific leader or even text, it provides the scope of individuality and self thinking, it encourages one to think for them self rather someone telling you how to live your life, it does it through the process of education through the thousands of texts which deal with different subjects and the hundreds of sects withing Hinduism to cater for nearly every individual.

Hinduism is designed for all Humans, so it needs to cater for all individuals not just the majority or the minority.