• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Powerlessness is a lie

Tmac

In less harsh terms its an excuse, we always have a choice. We are always making choices. Even if one is in a situation where opposition in any form results in death, we either choose to endure the situation or accept death. If we choose to endure then we make up words like powerlessness.
In most situation, we accept the term because the situation in question is not felt to be that relevant.
Life is, because we choose endure it as, we found it.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Denying that powerlessness exists strikes me as roughly analogous to denying that limitations exist; while such denial makes for an appealing, idealistic philosophy, it is also something of a foolish one. Failure to recognize limits are a thing tends to make it more difficult to navigate around them and find alternative paths (or one does not bother to seek an alternative path at all and spits into the wind).

whirlingmerc

In less harsh terms its an excuse, we always have a choice. We are always making choices. Even if one is in a situation where opposition in any form results in death, we either choose to endure the situation or accept death. If we choose to endure then we make up words like powerlessness.
In most situation, we accept the term because the situation in question is not felt to be that relevant.

Perhaps it depends on what you mean by powerless. You can cry out to God for help and God is powerful
I go along with the title of Jonathan Edwards first sermon: God glorified in man's dependence

Psalm 6 a sorrowful psalm

WalterTrull

Godfella
Tee Hee. I know this is not where you were going, but I seem powerless to resist two-centing. God is the power. Whatever power we seem to have, is merely a reflection. We have faith, we pray, and sometimes it appears we are powerful, sometimes not. Hmmm... I seem to be making a distinction between motivation and power. I'll think on it.

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.

You may really like the philosopher Epictetus. Check him out.

Epictetus - Wikipedia

I disn't really get intertested in the Stoics until I learned about Admiral Stockdale's story, especially his experiences as a POW in Vietnam. He used Stoic philosophy to survive.

https://reasonandmeaning.com/2015/03/08/admiral-james-stockdale-and-epictetus/

Thought you might find it all interesting, given the content of the OP.

Last edited:

Tmac

Denying that powerlessness exists strikes me as roughly analogous to denying that limitations exist; while such denial makes for an appealing, idealistic philosophy, it is also something of a foolish one. Failure to recognize limits are a thing tends to make it more difficult to navigate around them and find alternative paths (or one does not bother to seek an alternative path at all and spits into the wind).

If I had to take a guess I'd say you say I can't more than you say I can.

Tmac

Tee Hee. I know this is not where you were going, but I seem powerless to resist two-centing. God is the power. Whatever power we seem to have, is merely a reflection. We have faith, we pray, and sometimes it appears we are powerful, sometimes not. Hmmm... I seem to be making a distinction between motivation and power. I'll think on it.

I have no idea what you are wrestling with today.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

I take this to be an orientation on life, not some black and white claim. It is a very empowering and freeing perspective.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Denying that powerlessness exists strikes me as roughly analogous to denying that limitations exist.....
I infer something completely different.
When faced with choices, too many people feel that because one path is compelling, there's no
choice. This is the mind killer, blinding one to options made available by re-evaluating one's goals
& values.
Sure, sure...one always faces limitations of one type or another. But to see them as making
one powerless is to become weak of mind & spirit. Within limitations, one can make
choices with imagination & determination....& occasionally exceed perceived limitations.

Tmac

I infer something completely different.
When faced with choices, too many people feel that because one path is compelling, there's no
choice. This is the mind killer, blinding one to options made available by re-evaluating one's goals
& values.
Sure, sure...one always faces limitations of one type or another. But to see them as making
one powerless is to become weak of mind & spirit. Within limitations, one can make
choices with imagination & determination....& occasionally exceed perceived limitations.

Thank you.