• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Powerful Moments in Literature.

dust1n

Zindīq
Excerpt from the Fall.
‎"I say “my friends,” moreover, as a convention. I have no more friends; I have nothing but accomplices. To make up for this, their number has increased; they are the whole human race. And within the human race, you first of all. Whoever is at hand is always the first. How do I know I have no friends? It’s very easy: I ...discovered it the day I thought of killing myself to play a trick on them, to punish them, in a way. But punish whom? Some would be surprised, and no one would feel punished. I realized I had no friends. Besides, even if I had had, I shouldn’t be any better off. If I had been able to commit suicide and then see their reaction, why, then the game would have been worth the candle. But the earth is dark, cher ami, the coffin thick, and the shroud opaque, The eyes of the soul—to be sure—if there is a soul and it has eyes! But you see, we’re not sure, we can’t be sure. Otherwise, there would be a solution; at least one could get oneself taken seriously."

dust1n

Zindīq
"...‎"Isn’t it better thus? We’d suffer too much from their indifference. “You’ll pay for this!” a daughter said to her father who had prevented her from marrying a too well groomed suitor. And she killed herself. But the father paid for nothin...g. He loved fly-casting. Three Sundays later he went back to the river—to forget, as he said. He was right; he forgot. To tell the truth, the contrary would have been surprising. You think you are dying to punish your wife and actually you are freeing her. It’s better not to see that. Besides the fact that you might hear the reasons they give for your action. As far as I am concerned, I can hear them now: “He killed himself because he couldn’t bear ...”Ah, cher ami, how poor in invention men are! They always think one commits suicide for a reason. But it’s quite possible to commit suicide for two reasons. No, that never occurs to them. So what’s the good of dying intentionally, of sacrificing yourself to the idea you want people to have of you? Once you are dead, they will take advantage of it to attribute idiotic or vulgar motives to your action. Martyrs, cher ami, must choose between being forgotten, mocked, or made use of. As for being understood —never!"

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
From The Magical Forest of Gnomes (Choose-Your-Own-Adventure #389):
If you trust Professor Candlewick and choose to give him the Amulet of Courage turn to page 76.
If you keep the Amulet of Courage and jump through the mansion's window turn to page 12.
If you decide to destroy the Amulet of Courage by throwing it into the fireplace turn to page 98.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
Heart of Darkness:
One evening coming in with a candle I was startled to hear him say a little tremulously, 'I am lying here in the dark waiting for death.' The light was within a foot of his eyes. I forced myself to murmur, 'Oh, nonsense!' and stood over him as if transfixed.

Anything approaching the change that came over his features I have never seen before, and hope never to see again. Oh, I wasn't touched. I was fascinated. It was as though a veil had been rent. I saw on that ivory face the expression of sombre pride, of ruthless power, of craven terror - of an intense and hopeless despair. Did he live his life again in every detail of desire, temptation, and surrender during that supreme moment of complete knowledge? He cried in a whisper at some image, at some vision - he cried out twice, a cry that was no more than a breath:

"The horror! The horror!"

I blew the candle out and left the cabin. The pilgrims were dining in the mess-room, and I took my place opposite the manager, who lifted his eyes to give me a questioning glance, which I successfully ignored. He leaned back, serene, with that peculiar smile of his sealing the unexpressed depths of his meanness. A continuous shower of small flies streamed upon the lamp, upon the cloth, upon our hands and faces. Suddenly the manager's boy put his insolent black head in the doorway, and said in a tone of scathing contempt:

"Mistah Kurtz- he dead."

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
One of my favorite Nabokov tales, The Eye:
For I do not exist: there exist but the thousands of mirrors that reflect me. With every acquaintance I make, the population of phantoms resembling me increases. Somewhere they live, somewhere they multiply. I alone do not exist. . . . To be nothing but a big, slightly vitreous, somewhat bloodshot, unblinking eye. I swear this is happiness.

Smoke

Done here.
One of my favorite books is Housekeeping, by Marilynne Robinson. It's basically about grief. By the end of the book, Ruth (the narrator) and her Aunt Sylvie are drifters. Lucille is Ruth's sister. This is one of my favorite passages out of everything I've ever read:

Or imagine Lucille in Boston, at a table in a restaurant, waiting for a friend. She is tastefully dressed -- wearing, say, a tweed suit with an amber scarf at the throat to draw attention to the red in her darkening har. Her water glass has left two-thirds of a ring on the table, and she works at completing the circle with her thumbnail. Sylvie and I do not flounce in through the door, smoothing the skirts of our oversized coats and combing our hair back with our fingers. We do not sit down at the table next to hers and empty our pockets in a small damp heap in the middle of the table and sort out the gum wrappers and ticket stubs, and add up the coins and dollar bills, and laugh and add them up again. My mother, likewise, is not there, and my grandmother in her house slippers with her pigtail wagging, and my grandfather, with his hair combed flat against his brow, does not examine the menu with studious interest. We are nowhere in Boston. However Lucille may look, she will never find us there, or any trace or sign. We pause nowhere in Boston, even to admire a store window, and the perimeters of our wandering are nowhere. No one watching this woman smear her initials in the steam on her water glass with her first finger, or slip cellophane packets of oyster crackers into her handbag for the seagulls, could know how she does not watch, does not listen, does not wait, does not hope, and always for me and Sylvie.​

The same book has one of my favorite lines about vanity, and I think of it often, since you can't turn on the television anymore without seeing some unnerving results of cosmetic surgery. "She was an old woman, but she managed to look like a young woman with a ravaging disease."

Smoke

Done here.
From My Name is Asher Lev, by Chaim Potok:

She looked at me. "Do you believe in a special way? Do you believe in a special way?"

"I believe in God and the Torah He gave to the Jewish people. I pray three times a day. I eat only kosher food. I observe Shabbos -- the Sabbath -- and festivals and holy days. We don't travel or work on the Sabbath and festivals and holy days. I believe the Rebbe is a gift to us by God to help lead us in our lives. I believe --"

"The Rebbe?" she said.

"The Rebbe is the leader of our group."

"Ah," she murmured. "Yes. The man in Brooklyn Jacob goes to visit all these years. Yes. Go on."

"I believe it is man's task to make life holy. I believe --"

"Asher Lev," she said softly, "Asher Lev."

"Yes?"

"Asher Lev, you are entering the wrong world."

I was quiet.

"Asher Lev, this world will destroy you. Art is not for people who want to make the world holy. You will be like a nun in a bro -- in a -- theater for burlesque. Do you understand me, Asher Lev? If you want to make the world holy, stay in Brooklyn."

Smoke

Done here.
From The Joy Luck Club, by Amy Tan:

When the poison broke into her body, she whispered to me that she would rather kill her own weak spirit so she could give me a stronger one.

The stickiness clung to her body. They could not remove the poison and so she died, two days before the new year. They laid her on a wooden board in the hallway. She wore funeral clothes far richer than she had worn in life. Silk undergarments to keep her warm without the heavy burden of a fur coat. A silk gown, sewn with gold thread. A headdress of gold and lapis and jade. And two delicate slippers with the softest leather soles and two giant pearls on each toe, to light her way to nirvana.

Seeing her this last time, I threw myself on her body. And she opened her eyes slowly. I was not scared. I knew she could see me and what she had finally done. So I shut her eyes with my fingers and told her with my heart: I can see the truth, too. I am strong, too.

Because we both knew this: that on the third day after someone dies, the soul comes back to settle scores. In my mother's case, this would be the first day of the lunar new year. And because it is the new year, all debts must be paid, or disasters and misfortune will follow.

So on that day, Wu Tsing, fearful of my mother's vengeful spirit, wore the coarsest of white cotton mourning clothes. He promised her visiting ghost that he would raise Syaudi and me as his honored children. He promised to revere her as if she had been First Wife, his only wife.

And on that day, I showed Second Wife the fake pearl necklace she had given me and crushed it under my foot.

And on that day, Second Wife's hair began to turn white.

And on that day, I learned to shout.

Last edited:

dust1n

Zindīq
David Foster Wallace - Infinite Jest

Marathe seemed on the edge of sleep.

Even the voice of Steeply had a different timbre inside the shadow. ‘They say it’s a
great and maybe even timeless love, Rod Tine’s for your Luria person.’

Marathe grunted, shifting slightly in the chair.

Steeply said ‘The sort that gets sung about, the kind people die for and then get
immortalized in song. You got your ballads, your operas. Tristan and Isolde.
Lancelot and what’s‐her‐name. Agamemnon and Helen, Dante and Beatrice.’

Marathe’s drowsy smile continued upward to become a wince. ‘Narcissus and Echo.
Kierkegaard and Regina. Kafka and that poor girl afraid to go to the postbox for the
mail.’

‘Interesting choice of example here, the mailbox.’ Steeply pretended to chuckle.

Marathe came alert. 'Take off your wig and be ******** inside it, Hugh Steeply B.S.S.
And the ignorance of you appalls me. Agamemnon had no relation with this queen.
Menelaus was husband, him of Sparta. And you mean Paris. Helen and Paris. He of
Troy.’

Steeply seemed amused in the idiotic way: ‘Paris and Helen, the face that launched
vessels. The horse: the gift which was not a gift. The anonymous gift brought to the
door. The sack of Troy from inside.’

Marathe rose slightly on his stumps in the chair, showing some emotions at this
Steeply. ‘I am seated here appalled at the naïveté of history of your nation. Paris
and Helen were the excuse of the war. All the Greek states in addition to the Sparta
of Menelaus attacked Troy because Troy controlled the Dardanelles and charged
the ruinous tolls for passage through, which the Greeks, who would like very dearly
the easy sea passage for trade with the Oriental East, resented with fury. It was for
commerce, this war. The one‐quotes "love" one‐does‐not‐quote of Paris for Helen
merely was the excuse.’

Steeply, genius of interviewing, sometimes affected more than usual idiocy with
Marathe, which he knew baited Marathe. ‘Everything reduces itself to politics for
you guys. Wasn’t that whole war just a song? Did that war even really take place,
that anybody knows of?’

‘The point is that what launches vessels of war is the state and community and its
interests,’ Marathe said without heat, tiredly. ‘You only wish to enjoy to pretend for
yourself that the love of one woman could do this, launch so many vessels of
alliance.’

Steeply was stroking the perimeters of the mesquite‐scratch, which made his shrug
appear awkward. ‘I don’t think I’d be so sure. Those around Rod the God say the
man would die twice for her. Say he wouldn’t have to even think about it. Not just
that he’d let the whole of O.N.A.N. come down, if it came to that. But’d die.’
Marathe sniffed. ‘Twice.’

‘Without even having to pause and think,’ Steeply said, stroking at his lip’s
electrolysistic rash in a ruminative fashion. ‘It’s the reason most of us think he’s still
there, why he’s still got President Gentle’s ear. Divided loyalties are one thing. But if
he does it for love — well then you’ve got a kind of tragic element that transcends
the political, wouldn’t you say?’ Steeply smiled broadly down at Marathe.

Marathe’s own betrayal of A.F.R.: for medical care for the conditions of his wife; for
Steeply might imagine to think love of a person, a woman. ‘Tragic saying as if
Rodney Tine of Nonspecificity were not responsible for choosing it, as the insane
are not responsible,’ said Marathe quietly.

Steeply now was smiling even more broadly. ‘It has a kind of tragic quality,
timeless, musical, that how could Gentle resist?’

Marathe’s tone now became derisive despite his legendary sangfroid in matters of
technical interviews: ‘These sentiments from a person who allows them to place
him in the field as an enormous girl with tits at the ****‐eyed angle, now
discoursing on tragic love.’

Steeply, impassive and slackly ruminative, picked at the lipstick of the corner of his
mouth with a littlest finger, removing some grain of grit, gazing out from their shelf
of stone. ‘But sure. The fanatically patriotic Wheelchair Assassins of southern
Quebec scorn this type of interpersonal sentiment between people.’ Looking now
down at Marathe. ‘No? Even though it’s just this that has brought you Tine, yours
for Luria to command, should it ever come to that?’

Marathe had settled back on his bottom in the chair. ‘Your U.S.A. word for fanatic,
"fanatic," do they teach you it comes from the Latin for "temple"? It is meaning,
literally, "worshipper at the temple."

‘Oh Jesus now here we go again,’ Steeply said.

‘As, if you will give the permission, does this love you speak of, M. Tine’s grand love.
It means only the attachment. Tine is attached, fanatically. Our attachments are our
temple, what we worship, no? What we give ourselves to, what we invest with
faith.’

Steeply made motions of weary familiarity. ‘Herrrrrre we go.’

Marathe ignored this. ‘Are we not all of us fanatics? I say only what you of the U.S.A.
only pretend you do not know. Attachments are of great seriousness. Choose your
attachments carefully. Choose your temple of fanaticism with great care. What you
wish to sing of as tragic love is an attachment not carefully chosen. Die for one
person? This is a craziness. Persons change, leave, die, become ill. They leave, lie, go
mad, have sickness, betray you, die. Your nation outlives you. A cause outlives you.’

‘How are your wife and kids doing, up there, by the way?’

‘You U.S.A.’s do not seem to believe you may each choose what to die for. Love of a
woman, the sexual, it bends back in on the self, makes you narrow, maybe crazy.
Choose with care. Love of your nation, your country and people, it enlarges the
heart. Something bigger than the self.’

Steeply laid a hand between his misdirected breasts: ‘Ohh . . . Can‐ada.. ..’

Marathe leaned again forward on his stumps. ‘Make amusement all you wish. But
choose with care. You are what you love. No? You are, completely and only, what
you would die for without, as you say, the thinking twice. You, M. Hugh Steeply: you
would die without thinking for what?’

The A.F.R.’s extensive file on Steeply included mention of his recent divorce.
Marathe already had informed Steeply of the existence of this file. He wondered
how badly Steeply doubted what he reported, Marathe, or whether he assumed its
truth simply. Though the persona of him changed, Steeply’s car for all field
assignments was this green sedan subsidized by a painful ad for aspirin upon its
side — the file knew this stupidity — Marathe was sure the sedan with its aspirin
advertisement was somewhere below them, unseen. The fanatically beloved car of
M. Hugh Steeply. Steeply was watching or gazing at the darkness of the desert floor.
He did not respond. His expression of boredom could be real or tactical, either of
these.

Marathe said, ‘This, is it not the choice of the most supreme importance? Who
teaches your U.S.A. children how to choose their temple? What to love enough not
to think two times?’

‘This from a man who —’

Marathe was willing that his voice not rise. ‘For this choice determines all else. No?
All other of our you say free choices follow from this: what is our temple. What is
the temple, thus, for U.S.A.’s? What is it, when you fear that you must protect them
from themselves, if wicked Québecers conspire to bring the Entertainment into
their warm homes?’

Steeply’s face had assumed the openly twisted sneering expression which he knew
well Québecers found repellent on Americans. ‘But you assume it’s always choice,
conscious, decision. This isn’t just a little naïve, Rémy? You sit down with your little
accountant’s ledger and soberly decide what to love? Always?’

‘The alternatives are —’

‘What if sometimes there is no choice about what to love? What if the temple comes
to Mohammed? What if you just love? without deciding? You just do: you see her
and in that instant are lost to sober account‐keeping and cannot choose but to
love?’

Marathe’s sniff held disdain. ‘Then in such a case your temple is self and sentiment.
Then in such an instance you are a fanatic of desire, a slave to your individual
subjective narrow self’s sentiments; a citizen of nothing. You become a citizen of
nothing. You are by yourself and alone, kneeling to yourself.’
A silence ensued this.

Marathe shifted in his chair. ‘In a case such as this you become the slave who
believes he is free. The most pathetic of bondage. Not tragic. No songs. You believe
you would die twice for another but in truth would die only for your alone self, its
sentiment.’

Another silence ensued. Steeply, who had made his early career with Unspecified
Services conducting technical interviews, used silent pauses as integral parts of
his techniques of interface. Here it defused Marathe. Marathe felt the ironies of his
position. One strap of Steeply’s prostheses’ brassiere had slipped into view below
his shoulder, where it cut deeply into his flesh of the upper arm. The air smelled
faintly of creosote, but much less strongly smelling than the ties of train tracks,
which Marathe had smelled at close range. Steeply’s back was broad and soft.

Marathe eventually said:

‘You in such a case have nothing. You stand on nothing. Nothing of ground or
rock beneath your feet. You fall; you blow here and there. How does one say:
"tragically, unvoluntarily, lost."

Last edited:

no-body

From Huckleberry Finn:

It was a close place. I took it up, and held it in my hand. I was a trembling, because I'd got to decide, forever, betwixt two things, and I knowed it. I studied a minute, sort of holding my breath, and then says to myself: "All right, then, I'll go to hell"- and tore it up.
It was awful thoughts, and awful words, but they was said. And I let them stay said; and never thought no more about reforming. I shoved the whole thing out of my head; and said I would take up wickedness again, which was in my line, being brung up to it, and the other warn't. And for a starter, I would go to work and steal Jim out of slavery again; and if I could think up anything worse, I would do that, too; because as long as I was in, and in for good, I might as well go the whole hog.

gnomon

"Because I must fast, I cannot do otherwise," answered the hunger artist. "What a character you are," said the overseer, "and why can't you do otherwise?" "Because," said the hunger artist, lifting his head a little and puckering his lips as if for a kiss, and he spoke directly into the overseer's ear so that nothing would be missed, "because I could never find food I liked. Had I found it, believe me, I would never have created such a ruckus and would have stuffed myself like you and everyone else." These were his last words, but in his glazing eyes there remained the firm if no longer proud conviction that he was still fasting.

from The Hunger Artist by Franz Kafka.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I love this passage from Huckleberry Finn:

Well, I can tell you it made me all over trembly and feverish, too, to hear him, because I begun to get it through my head that he WAS most free—and who was to blame for it? Why, ME. I couldn't get that out of my , no how nor no way. It got to troubling me so I couldn't rest; I couldn't stay still in one place. It hadn't ever come home to me before, what this thing was that I was doing. But now it did; and it stayed with me, and scorched me more and more. I tried to make out to myself that I warn't to blame, because I didn't run Jim off from his rightful owner; but it warn't no use, conscience up and says, every time, "But you knowed he was running for his , and you could a paddled ashore and told ." That was so—I couldn't get around that noway. That was where it pinched. Conscience says to me, "What had poor Miss Watson done to you that you could see her ****** go off right under your eyes and never say one single word? What did that poor old woman do to you that you could treat her so mean? Why, she tried to learn you your book, she tried to learn you your manners, she tried to be good to you every way she knowed how. THAT'S what she done." I got to feeling so mean and so miserable I most wished I was dead. I fidgeted up and down the raft, abusing myself to myself, and Jim was fidgeting up and down past me. We neither of us could keep still. Every time he danced around and says, "Dah's Cairo!" it went through me like a shot, and I thought if it WAS Cairo I reckoned I would die of miserableness.
Jim talked out loud all the time while I was talking to myself. He was saying how the first thing he would do when he got to a free State he would go to saving up money and never spend a single cent, and when he got enough he would buy his wife, which was owned on a farm close to where Miss Watson lived; and then they would both work to buy the two , and if their master wouldn't sell them, they'd get an Ab'litionist to go and steal them.
It most froze me to hear such talk. He wouldn't ever dared to talk such talk in his life before. Just see what a difference it made in him the minute he judged he was about free. It was according to the old saying, "Give a ****** an inch and he'll take an ell." Thinks I, this is what comes of my not thinking. Here was this ******, which I had as good as helped to run away, coming right out flat-footed and saying he would steal his children—children that belonged to a man I didn't even know; a man that hadn't ever done me no harm.