• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Power of Lord Shiva

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
So during recitation of Sri Rudram, is it common to not recite mantra for offering diya, ghee, parsad, etc?

Generally there are specific mantras for offerings, including what you're offering, etc. But while that's going on, another priest, or a group of people will often chant rudram off to the side. Kind of like 'in the background', so it creates an inner vibration around the entire place.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
So during recitation of Sri Rudram, is it common to not recite mantra for offering diya, ghee, parsad, etc?
When I did the Rudrabhishekam in our temple (that was some 50 years ago), it came after the puja; but I think my grandfather did it before the puja. I do not know what is the scripturally suggested sequence, if there is any.

ajay0

Oh, you got it all wrong, how I stand in this. This little anecdote will clarify it:
Once Sai Baba was with a bunch of students. One student was sitting alone at a table, and Sai Baba called him. But the student did not respond. So, Sai Baba turned to the other students, saying "That is a bad student, don't you think?". All nodded, and agreed with Baba "it's a very bad student, not listening to swami". So, Swami called the student again. No reaction. After the third time, Sai Baba said "let's go to him, and ask, why he did not come".

When asking the student, the student replied "Swami inside told me not to respond"
Aha, Sai Baba said, looking at the other student, you see, he understands, always listen to God inside. Even if the God outside is telling you differently. Even if I tell you differently. Listen to your own conscience.

I like this story.

The message is that one must follow the intuition within.

I credit Satya Sai Baba, Swami Vivekananda and Yogananda with creating a culture of fraternity , equality in India and internationalism as well.

Hindus , due to the numerous castes they were divided into, were a divided lot, and it was because of this they were ruled by a few foreigners for centuries, even though the subject Hindus were much numerically superior to the foreign rulers.

In ashrams of Sai Baba, casteism was not observed at all, and all including foreigners were treated equally. Sai Baba's charitable services conducted under his teaching of serving man as God, with free schools, colleges, medical services, food for the poor became a model for other ashrams and spiritual institutions as well.

Casteism has no basis in the Vedas and was purely a manmade custom which should have been changed with the times, but this was not done.

Casteism also destroyed the quality of fraternity too, inspite of vedic injunctions on it. People were hesitant to help others in need in case they were of an another caste. Fear of caste pollution and other superstitions was very high.

Swami Vivekananda, once lying unconscious on the ground during pilgrimage due to exhaustion, was saved by a muslim who fed and nursed him.

Swami Chinmayananda was similarly saved by a Christian woman when he was lying on the streets with illness and fatigue.

It is ironic that no Hindus helped them.

It was the likes of Vivekananda, Yogananda and Sai Baba, Swami Dayananda Saraswati and the Prajapita Brahmakumaris who created a culture of fraternity as well in India, emphasising universal brotherhood and equality.

Yogananda's ashrams and centers around the world have a theme of universal brotherhood and fraternity, and one finds people from different nations living together in harmony.

Last edited: