• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Power of Lord Shiva

ajay0

I still have a long way to go in terms of meditation, as it is hard for me to visualize Lord Shiv without thinking of his anthropomorphic body. I don't know the specific school of thoughts on how one must meditate but I try to think of lingam.

The anthropomorphic body of Shiva is just a misconception that came about in the Puranic times and mythologies. In most temples related to Shiva there is only the Shivalingam and nothing else.

Scholars and writers later on started creating imaginary stories and so on and created the Puranas with its fantastic tales. This was done to create metaphoric tales with wisdom and is not to be taken literally.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
The 'Swami inside' is the brain, and not any God. Religious books are full of fables. Actually, they should be classed as story books. So, here, this is a story created by promoters of the Baba. Internet is full of such stories. Of course, good people should listen to their conscience, evil people may not have a conscience or may not listen to it; but it is hardly God's voice.
Thank you for your opinion!!!

stvdv

Unless you See unity in Diversity

Care to elaborate? I would agree with unity in diversity but obviously to varying degrees.
This comes from the Advaita thought, that only Consciousness is real, all else is superimposed.

e.g.: when you walk in the dark (ignorance), and see a rope, your mind creates a snake (illusion)
Same way, we see forms, give names and forget the underlying reality (called Consciousness)
(Western definition of consciousness differs from Advaita definition of Consciousness)

e.g.: when you go to the cinema, the movie is projected on the white screen
While watching, it's easy to forget the reality, that it's just a white screen
And get totally absorbed by what is superimposed on it, the movie

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
One day I will learn full Sri Rudram. What is the opening portion he is reciting before he starts Rudram?
It's the standard (one of them) prayer to Ganesha, before starting all things. I have tried to learn, from that video, but it's hard. Best wishes with that.

stvdv

Best rudram rendition I've found:

Thanks for sharing. I have done this rudram daily for quite a long time. I just loved to do it. Sai Baba had it chanted daily in the Ashram, and told us all to learn it. Really wonderful, when being with thousands of people (all nations) and all synchronously chanting (as good as we could of course:D).

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Thanks for sharing. I have done this rudram daily for quite a long time. I just loved to do it. Sai Baba had it chanted daily in the Ashram, and told us all to learn it. Really wonderful, when being with thousands of people (all nations) and all synchronously chanting (as good as we could of course:D).

I could listen all day.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I do not do all these rituals and worship. I am sort of beyond that. But I am writing in hope that Shiva devotees may get some information about what Hindus do in worship.

Sri Rudram should begin with Nyasa (getting ready).
"Nyasa (English: placing; literally, "deposit" or "setting down") is a concept in Hinduism. It involves touching various parts of the body while chanting specific portions of a mantra. This imposition of mantras upon the body is considered as the assigning or locating of divinity inside one's own body. For example, nyasa is part of the equipment of a sculptor as a sādhaka and yogi."
Nyasa (ritual) - Wikipedia
This is followed by 'Dhyanam', mentally focussing on the object of worship.
This is then followed by Namakam and then by Chamakam.

I have found a nice write-up on Sri Rudram at: http://www.skandagurunatha.org/works/stothras/sri-rudram.pdf

TravisJC

Sri Rudram should begin with Nyasa (getting ready).

I have learned a little about Nyasam, as of now I do not perform it during pooja but do hope to learn. The link you sent me seems to be tremendously helpful! I have bought several books that have attempted to explain nyasam and pooja procedures but many of them fail to be clear cut and dry. Thank you Aupmanyav!

Sai Baba had it chanted daily in the Ashram, and told us all to learn it.

Is Sri Rudram recited during abhishekam to SaiBaba? Since it has only been roughly 100 years since the death of Sai Baba of Shirdi I would think that there is not one orthodox way to perform abhishekam, but I could be wrong. :D

TravisJC

Apologizes for double response.

But I am writing in hope that Shiva devotees may get some information about what Hindus do in worship.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that different Saivite schools of thought have different ways to perform pooja to Lord Shiva. I've often seen that there is no mantra reciting for offering seat, prasad, etc, while others I have.

stvdv

Is Sri Rudram recited during abhishekam to SaiBaba? Since it has only been roughly 100 years since the death of Sai Baba of Shirdi I would think that there is not one orthodox way to perform abhishekam, but I could be wrong. :D
I have been to Shirdi and to Sathya Sai Baba. When on my first trip in India, I saw both pictures and I was more attracted to Shirdi Sai Baba at first. But I spend many years with Sathya Sai Baba, and now like them both.

The Rudram recitation I was speaking about happened in the Ashram of Sathya Sai Baba. They had twice Bhajan singing in Puttaparthi, and 1 hour before each Bhajan session they had like 1 to 1.5 hours of Rudram Chanting. It was amazing, a wonderful experience. And although I never learned Sanskrit, just by listening (+reading the book) and repeating, I learned to chant the Rudram (like 3 hours daily, 4 weeks it took). Was not easy, because they chanted at quite a high speed, but I really wanted to learn it, so I put in quite a bit of effort.

This Bhajan singing and mantra recitation in India is fantastic. Those years in India were the best years of my life.

TravisJC

And although I never learned Sanskrit, just by listening (+reading the book) and repeating, I learned to chant the Rudram (like 3 hours daily, 4 weeks it took). Was not easy, because they chanted at quite a high speed, but I really wanted to learn it, so I put in quite a bit of effort.

I intend to start committing one hour a day to learn Sri Rudram. I do abhishekam to Lingam daily but would like to be able to recite Sri Rudram for my lord. :D

stvdv

I intend to start committing one hour a day to learn Sri Rudram. I do abhishekam to Lingam daily but would like to be able to recite Sri Rudram for my lord. :D
That sounds fantastic. And as you probably know, Shiva is well known for granting boons easily, so He will help you with the chanting I believe.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
.. I would think that there is not one orthodox way to perform abhishekam, but I could be wrong. :D
You are right. Baba worship is like any other upstart religion. Term or claim a person to be a God / prophet / son / messenger / manifestation / mahdi and milk it for money / importance / sex (whatever is the focus of the promoter be).
The other Baba, died on a bed filled with various currencies, gold and diamonds in his store, valued at millions of USD, that the government had to intervene.
There are scores of Babas serving jail sentences (Gurmeet Ram Rahim singh, Ram Lal) or being prosecuted (Dati Maharaj) for sex crimes. One has escaped to Peru (Nithiyananda), and the other is absconding (Virendra Dev).
I'm going to go out on a limb here .. I've often seen that there is no mantra reciting for offering seat, prasad, etc, while others I have.
Yes, the 16 part house-hold worship (Puja (Hinduism) - Wikipedia) is different from Sri Rudram, which requires more time. Not all people can spend so much time on daily puja. Of course it can be done once a week. My grandpa used to do it daily. He was a Sanskrit scholar and knew the mantras by heart. I used to wake up to his chanting and the smell of 'ahuti' (offering clarified butter (ghee) in his fire-tray. No it is not costly. One does not pour ghee into fire. Just drops are enough, it is symbolic). Chamakam is so rhythmic.
What is the purpose of Rudra Santhi Pathah?
Rudra from the Aryan stream and Shiva from the indigenous stream, both were supposed to be 'hot' (ugra) gods, though easy to please and protective to their devotees. In time the two Gods became one during the assimilation of Aryans into the indigenous stock. Rudri or Rudra Shanti Patha is to pacify Rudra/Shiva.

Last edited:

TravisJC

different from Sri Rudram, which requires more time. Not all people can spend so much time on daily puja.

So during recitation of Sri Rudram, is it common to not recite mantra for offering diya, ghee, parsad, etc?

There are scores of Babas serving jail sentences

I mean no disrespect to the followers of Sathya SaiBaba but I have heard nasty rumors circulating about the said crimes, which you had mentioned.