• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Power Balance

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
So, it's really no secret that in our fine Constitutional Republic (US), that the Senate skews way more powerful and influential than the House of Representatives by a pretty wide margin. Now this gives excess power to smaller States, imo. Giving a state the population of Wyoming the same clout as say Texas.

What exactly balances this?

Afaik, the electoral college only balances out how the POTUS is chosen, but not the Congressional power disparities.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Bonus question: Could balkanizing/merging some of the States be a viable fix for this? Say breaking apart California, and/or combing N & S Dakota for example? Keep 50 States but modify existing borders to more similarly reflect closer population totals?

PureX

Veteran Member
What would make sense in the modern US is to appoint reps according to population, not land mass or state borders. But it'll never happen. And even if we tried, the politicians would use the effort to cheat and skew elections even further in their favor than they already have. Political corruption is the single greatest problem facing this country, but a corrupt government can't fix itself. Only the people can do that. And so far we're all way to busy hating and blaming each other to ever unite to stop the wholesale corruption of our government. Many of us even support corruption when we think "our team" will benefit from it.

We are doomed.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
What would make sense in the modern US is to appoint reps according to population, not land mass or state borders. But it'll never happen. And even if we tried, the politicians would use the effort to cheat and skew elections even further in their favor than they already have. Political corruption is the single greatest problem facing this country, but a corrupt government can't fix itself. Only the people can do that. And so far we're all way to busy hating and blaming each other to ever unite to stop the wholesale corruption of our government. Many of us even support corruption when we think "our team" will benefit from it.

We are doomed.

I don't completely disagree. That's why I proposed that the borders of some states be shifted in order to reflect bigger or smaller populations, until they all neet an "average". A sort of State redistricting.

Is it feasible that this would happen, probably not. But would it work if it could?

PureX

Veteran Member
I don't completely disagree. That's why I proposed that the borders of some states be shifted in order to reflect bigger or smaller populations, until they all meet an "average". A sort of State redistricting.

Is it feasible that this would happen, probably not. But would it work if it could?
Why do we need separate states at all? Once we understand the answer to that question, then maybe we could re-arrange their borders so as to make more sense, and for them to be more effective. But as it stands, now, I don't see any real need for them.

I like the states for their variety: culturally, geographically, and so on. Maybe we should eliminate the current historical leftover state lines and create 'areas of similarity', north-east coast, south-east coast, gulf coast, west coast, northwest coast, great lakes, eastern plains, western plains, Mississippi basin, Appalachia, southern Rockies, northern Rockies, central desert, and so on. At least the variations in their local laws would make a bit more sense that way, as they would be more tied to the way of life in that area. We could even protect and encourage their unique differences instead of fighting over them.

Last edited: