• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Post Your Denomination

Faithofchristian

Do you worship God?

Seeing back in Thread #1 didn't ask nor the person who posted the Thread #1, didn't ask whether a person believes in God.

Now here's what the person who posted the Thread ask
(Hi guys. I am just asking what denomination you attend. No the specific place, but he specific type of church you attend(ex. baptist, catholic, methodist, etc.)
So my reply was, that I don't belong to any Religious organizations or churches.

And seeing that the person who posted back in Thread #1, didn't ask whether a person believes in God or not, then im not obligated to say.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Hi guys. I am just asking what denomination you attend. No the specific place, but he specific type of church you attend(ex. baptist, catholic, methodist, etc.)

When I was Christian, I was mostly Baptist, but also have attended Christian, Presbyterian, and Methodists churches. As an atheist/pantheist, I attend Unitarian Universalist churches.

Had to think about this. I'm leaning more towards Universal Unitarian. I have a church near me I go to from time to time. Some sermons I listen to kinda took away a lot of the misconceptions about the church I was surprised to hear. My beliefs have not changed; just, I have more of a pull towards inner mystic (for lack of better words) transformation. I think the creativity and art gave me that revelation.
So you do attend a church that is considered to be Christian?

Seeing back in Thread #1 didn't ask nor the person who posted the Thread #1, didn't ask whether a person believes in God.

Now here's what the person who posted the Thread ask
(Hi guys. I am just asking what denomination you attend. No the specific place, but he specific type of church you attend(ex. baptist, catholic, methodist, etc.)
So my reply was, that I don't belong to any Religious organizations or churches.

And seeing that the person who posted back in Thread #1, didn't ask whether a person believes in God or not, then im not obligated to say.
I am the person who posted the thread, I feel as if you know that. The question would imply that you believe in God. If you condor yourself as one who worships God, then you obviously believe in him. The reason I asked that question is because many do not consider themselves to be part of a denomination, but they still claim to worship God. I do not belong to a denomination, however, I worship God. I'll try this again, do you worship God? Your description says Christian, that is why I am curious.

When I was Christian, I was mostly Baptist, but also have attended Christian, Presbyterian, and Methodists churches. As an atheist/pantheist, I attend Unitarian Universalist churches.
Interesting. What led you to leave those churches? Also, what is the difference between atheist and pantheist? I don't think I have ever heard of pantheism(assuming that is what it is called).

You think so? Let's discuss them, one at a time.

We use all translations; using many and of course context provide a more rounded-out view of the author's intent / meaning.

Well, we can discuss these things. FYI, we believe the date of the Kingdom being established was 1914, not 1917.

Which topic would you like to begin with?

This was my response to another JW in the thread. Just waned to include you in as well!

1. Are you sing that Heaven and Hell are not realities?

2. Where does this verse in Daniel say that this will happen in 1914?(sorry about the misdate by the way) From all indications, we are told that Jesus established and was given his kingdom on the day of Pentecost, foretelling of that event in Matthew 16:18-19. If you would for just a moment take your Bible and go through these verses and read them carefully. It won't take long. Go to Mark 9:1 and read it. Jesus says the kingdom will come with power. Next, Luke 24:49. Jesus tells the apostles to stay in Jerusalem that they will receive that power. in Matthew, we saw Peter was going to be the one to open the door to the kingdom. With all this in mind, go to Act 1:8-9. They are just about to receive this power. Turn over to Act 2. We see the apostles given power and the kingdom being open by Peter, as promised in Matthew 16. With all this in mind, especially Acts 1:9, go back and read Daniel 7:13-14. That day, when Jesus went up in the clouds in Acts 1, he was given his kingdom that Peter opened the doors to in Acts 2, as he stood before the multitude and was given power, opening the doors to the kingdom, as promised by Jesus. This is when the kingdom was established, not 1914. This is why John said he was in the kingdom in Revelation 1:9. Any thoughts on these verses? Again, please read them carefully, they are very important and are significantly connected. I do agree that we should never believe because we have been told. We should only believe when evidence is given. As fro this topic, this is why I believe the kingdom was established in Acts 2. Because that is what the Bible says, with prophecies and verses supporting it.

Sorry it took so long to respond, haven't been on all week.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Gotcha. I don't think I have ever heard about this group. Do you all have a sacred text?

Actually, no. It's a help for social justice focused organization with diverse people of many faiths with whom agree on the principles of helping humanity regardless of our differing religions and definitions of "god". (Use of god because of it's roots) We learn from different religions in an academic manner. Each person takes away or adds the message of a given faith. It's individualist.

I'm still learning about it, though. I have (edit no bias) my biases against the christian faith. Outside of that, it's a welcoming church.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I see what you're saying. In your opinion, are they?
I don't see POV's as being wrong or right. But often 2 people with differing POVs will both say, "I'm right and you're wrong." Once you are in that mindset, that is what you look for. I prefer to leave it as differing POVs.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
This was my response to another JW in the thread. Just waned to include you in as well!

2. Where does this verse in Daniel say that this will happen in 1914?(sorry about the misdate by the way) From all indications, we are told that Jesus established and was given his kingdom on the day of Pentecost, foretelling of that event in Matthew 16:18-19. If you would for just a moment take your Bible and go through these verses and read them carefully. It won't take long. Go to Mark 9:1 and read it. Jesus says the kingdom will come with power. Next, Luke 24:49. Jesus tells the apostles to stay in Jerusalem that they will receive that power. in Matthew, we saw Peter was going to be the one to open the door to the kingdom. With all this in mind, go to Act 1:8-9. They are just about to receive this power. Turn over to Act 2. We see the apostles given power and the kingdom being open by Peter, as promised in Matthew 16. With all this in mind, especially Acts 1:9, go back and read Daniel 7:13-14. That day, when Jesus went up in the clouds in Acts 1, he was given his kingdom that Peter opened the doors to in Acts 2, as he stood before the multitude and was given power, opening the doors to the kingdom, as promised by Jesus. This is when the kingdom was established, not 1914. This is why John said he was in the kingdom in Revelation 1:9. Any thoughts on these verses? Again, please read them carefully, they are very important and are significantly connected. I do agree that we should never believe because we have been told. We should only believe when evidence is given. As fro this topic, this is why I believe the kingdom was established in Acts 2. Because that is what the Bible says, with prophecies and verses supporting it.

No need to apologize about being late to reply, we all lead busy lives! (I appreciate your friendly demeanor.)

Since you’ve replied to @Deeje with the same, I’ll let her respond; her comments will perfectly align with mine. We always “speak in agreement” as to our spiritual beliefs! (1 Corinthians 1:10) She’s a more eloquent writer. I’m not...I’m more of a talker.

Faithofchristian

I am the person who posted the thread, I feel as if you know that. The question would imply that you believe in God. If you condor yourself as one who worships God, then you obviously believe in him. The reason I asked that question is because many do not consider themselves to be part of a denomination, but they still claim to worship God. I do not belong to a denomination, however, I worship God. I'll try this again, do you worship God? Your description says Christian, that is why I am curious.

I worship the one and true God

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Sorry, been busy on other threads....

I guess I am confused with some things you are saying. If you would answer these questions, just to clarify your points.

Heaven is the place of God's dwelling. (1 Kings 8:49; Matthew 6:9) It is the place from which Christ and his chosen "joint-heirs" will rule in his Kingdom. (Romans 8:16-17) Their rulership however is over earthly subjects. (Revelation 21:2-4)

"Hell"(sheol, hades) is a place of rest, not a place to be tortured. (Ecclesiastes 9:5, 10) We believe what the ancient Jews believed...it is the common grave of mankind.....it is cold not hot. In ancient times there was something called "helling potatoes". It didn't mean cooking them, but burying them.

The dead do not live outside of their body. There is no teaching of an immortal soul in the Bible. Souls die. (Ezekiel 18:4)
Adam was simply told that he would die and return to the dust. No heaven or hell scenario is ever given by Jesus as opposite destinations.

2. Where does this verse in Daniel say that this will happen in 1914?

It is not a verse but a prophesy that leads us to 1914. It was used by the Jews to calculate Messiah's first appearance.

In the following link please scroll to: Why do Jehovah’s Witnesses say that God’s Kingdom was established in 1914?
Dates — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY
Too much to post here.

From all indications, we are told that Jesus established and was given his kingdom on the day of Pentecost, foretelling of that event in Matthew 16:18-19.

It was prophesied by King David that Jesus would remain at his Father's side till his enemies were placed as a stool for his feet.

The Lord (Jehovah) says to my Lord (Jesus):
Sit at My right hand
Until I make Your enemies a footstool for Your feet.”
2 The Lord will stretch forth Your strong scepter from Zion, saying,
Rule in the midst of Your enemies.”
(Psalm 110:1-2)

After he returned to heaven, David's Lord was then to wait for God to bring his enemies to a point in time where Christ would "rule in the midst of his enemies".

Matthew 16:18-19 is Jesus giving Peter the keys to the Kingdom to open up opportunities for Jews, Samaritans and Gentiles to become believers. It was part of Jesus' commission to Peter to "feed his sheep". Peter was used to impart holy spirit to Cornelius, the first Gentile to convert to Christianity. Jesus left a great responsibility for his apostles to fulfill, after his death and resurrection...but there was much work to be done before Jesus returned to take his chosen ones to heaven.

Paul said that Jesus would not resurrect them until he came back for them. They would sleep until that time. (1 Thessalonians 4:13-18; John 14:2-4)

If you would for just a moment take your Bible and go through these verses and read them carefully. It won't take long. Go to Mark 9:1 and read it. Jesus says the kingdom will come with power. Next, Luke 24:49. Jesus tells the apostles to stay in Jerusalem that they will receive that power. in Matthew, we saw Peter was going to be the one to open the door to the kingdom. With all this in mind, go to Act 1:8-9. They are just about to receive this power. Turn over to Act 2. We see the apostles given power and the kingdom being open by Peter, as promised in Matthew 16. With all this in mind, especially Acts 1:9, go back and read Daniel 7:13-14. That day, when Jesus went up in the clouds in Acts 1, he was given his kingdom that Peter opened the doors to in Acts 2, as he stood before the multitude and was given power, opening the doors to the kingdom, as promised by Jesus. This is when the kingdom was established, not 1914. This is why John said he was in the kingdom in Revelation 1:9. Any thoughts on these verses?

That is not the way we read those scriptures.
Mark 9:1 is Jesus indicating that some of his apostles would not taste death until they saw the power of the Kingdom. Three days later Peter, James and John accompanied Jesus up to the mountain and witnessed the transfiguration. They saw the power of the Kingdom in the glorified Christ just as Jesus had said.

At Luke 24:49 Jesus tells his apostles to remain in Jerusalem where they will receive holy spirit. This they did and on the day of Pentecost, they received the gifts and were able to preach to the foreign visitors who came to Jerusalem for the festival, in their own language. Those who accepted the good news took the message home with them and thus Christianity spread to far flung places.

Again, please read them carefully, they are very important and are significantly connected. I do agree that we should never believe because we have been told. We should only believe when evidence is given. As fro this topic, this is why I believe the kingdom was established in Acts 2. Because that is what the Bible says, with prophecies and verses supporting it.

They are only significantly connected for you. We connect them in a completely different way. The Kingdom was established when the last days began. What is recorded in Matthew 24: 3-14 all had to take place after Jesus began ruling as king.

Revelation also backs up the last days as something future. John is taken in vision to "the Lord's Day".....a future time. Revelation was written at the end of the first century.

Jesus, when giving his prophesy on the last days, indicated that a range of physical events had to take place on earth once Jesus became "present" in Kingdom power. (Matthew 24:3-14) He said that one of the features of his prophesy was the preaching of the good news in all the earth right up to the end. (Matthew 24:14) Where are the churches in this regard? (Matthew 28:19-20) They are in their church buildings preaching to the converted. (Acts of the Apostles 20:20) If Jesus said that he would back this work, then why are the churches failing to obey his command? (Luke 6:46)

We are all busy.....Lots going on at this time of year. Hope that answers your questions.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Interesting. What led you to leave those churches? Also, what is the difference between atheist and pantheist? I don't think I have ever heard of pantheism(assuming that is what it is called).

Well, I left Christianity itself and thought I would give UU a chance, since they are very into social justice and I like that. Plus you can be sitting next to a Christian, atheist, Buddhist or Wiccan and everyone gets along. It's great. A pantheist just sees the universe as imbued with a spiritual power, so IMO one can be anything and still be pantheist. It's not a god belief but it could be. It just depends on what you think animates the universe. I am open to the idea of deities but no one really knows for sure.