• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Post your childhood/younger pics

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Are you referring to the yeast tea(kombocha)or the kelp tea (literally kombucha)? It's Japanese so I'm not really much aware of those. The only tea I love drinking is themilk tea. :D

Not the Japanese kelp tea - the yeast tea. I am making it in a big jar in my kitchen. It's really cool. The SCOBY makes a new baby SCOBY every week, and the resulting fermented tea is DELICIOUS. I put a little ginger in it, and it's nice and bubbly - and also has a bit of an alcohol content!

I've never tried the Japanese kelp tea. Have you? And what's milk tea?

I'm also making kefir at home too - it's FANTASTIC. It's that yogurt sort of milk that originated in the Caucasus mountains and middle east. It is so yummy!

Renji

Hey Kath, can you tell me how you make kimchi? Honestly, I'm not familiar of the whole process. I only know how to eat it! :D

I don't even dare asking my granny cause she'll just answer me "You're Korean. You should know it my boy!" and will probably hit me with a thin stick she has on her hand most of the time. :p

Kathryn

Absolutely, Lawrence -here you go:

Easy Kimchi
(makes 2 quarts)

1 head Napa cabbage, cored and shredded
1 bunch of green onions, chopped
1 cup carrots, grated
1/2 cup daidon radish, grated
1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1/2 teaspoon dried chili flakes
1 tablespoon sea salt
4 tablespoons whey* (or use additional 1 T salt instead)

Place vegetables, ginger, red chili flakes, salt and whey in a bowl and pound it with a wooden pounder or a meat hammer to release juices. Place them in two quart sized glass jars and press down firmly until all the juices come up to the top and cover the vegetables. The top of the vegetables should be at least an inch from the top of the jar. Cover tightly and keep at room temperature for about 3 days at which time you can put it in the fridge or cold storage.

*You can get whey by draining a quart of yogurt (make sure it contains the good bacteria-we use Pavels) through a clean dishtowel for a few hours. If you do this overnight you’ll end up with more than 4 tablespoons, but it will keep in the fridge for up to 6 months. And you’ll also end up with yogurt cheese as a by product, which is delicious and makes a great alternative to cream cheese.
An Intro into Fermentation : How to Make Kimchi | A Sonoma Garden

Renji

Not the Japanese kelp tea - the yeast tea. I am making it in a big jar in my kitchen. It's really cool. The SCOBY makes a new baby SCOBY every week, and the resulting fermented tea is DELICIOUS. I put a little ginger in it, and it's nice and bubbly - and also has a bit of an alcohol content!

I've never tried the Japanese kelp tea. Have you?

Not yet, but having some Japanese friends, I hear them talking about that one sometimes.

And what's milk tea?

Just the regular yellow or red tea (I prefer those tea leaves that require boiling, instead of the instant tea on tea bags) mixed with milk (preferably cow's milk or evaporated milk) and sugar. It's kinda hit here on Asia. You must try it.:)

I'm also making kefir at home too - it's FANTASTIC. It's that yogurt sort of milk that originated in the Caucasus mountains and middle east. It is so yummy!

I haven't tried that one yet, but since it's yogurt (sort of) and I love yogurt, I think it's yummy. :p

Renji

Absolutely, Lawrence -here you go:

Easy Kimchi
(makes 2 quarts)

1 head Napa cabbage, cored and shredded
1 bunch of green onions, chopped
1 cup carrots, grated
1/2 cup daidon radish, grated
1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1/2 teaspoon dried chili flakes
1 tablespoon sea salt
4 tablespoons whey* (or use additional 1 T salt instead)

Place vegetables, ginger, red chili flakes, salt and whey in a bowl and pound it with a wooden pounder or a meat hammer to release juices. Place them in two quart sized glass jars and press down firmly until all the juices come up to the top and cover the vegetables. The top of the vegetables should be at least an inch from the top of the jar. Cover tightly and keep at room temperature for about 3 days at which time you can put it in the fridge or cold storage.

*You can get whey by draining a quart of yogurt (make sure it contains the good bacteria-we use Pavels) through a clean dishtowel for a few hours. If you do this overnight you’ll end up with more than 4 tablespoons, but it will keep in the fridge for up to 6 months. And you’ll also end up with yogurt cheese as a by product, which is delicious and makes a great alternative to cream cheese.
An Intro into Fermentation : How to Make Kimchi | A Sonoma Garden

Will try that and show it to granny hehe. And try to convince her that it's convinient for her (though I still think that the buried one is superb in terms of taste). Hope she wont hit me with her stick! :D

Kathryn

Will try that and show it to granny hehe. And try to convince her that it's convinient for her (though I still think that the buried one is superb in terms of taste). Hope she wont hit me with her stick! :D

I am sure that the buried type is better. Actually, since I've been busy googling kimchi this morning, I found this recipe I think I will try instead:

How to Make Kim Chi

Except I will add a few carrots. That's probably not traditional but that's OK too. Man, I love me some Korean food. My husband thinks I'm completely crazy sometimes.

I know how to make great miso soup too! Wow, we have derailed this thread.

Renji

I am sure that the buried type is better. Actually, since I've been busy googling kimchi this morning, I found this recipe I think I will try instead:

How to Make Kim Chi

Except I will add a few carrots. That's probably not traditional but that's OK too.

Actually, I've tried the one with carrots, but I still prefer the one without it. It's just me. :D

Man, I love me some Korean food.
Try bibimbap.

My husband thinks I'm completely crazy sometimes.

Lol, why?:p

I know how to make great miso soup too!
So does my mom.:)

Wow, we have derailed this thread.

Can't help it. You love Asian (Koreans) stuff and it kinda make me happy. I can't just ignore any discussion that involves that topic, even if this thread isn't really about that. hehe. :D

Renji

Alright, just to go back :p, here's me few weeks before our high school graduation (2009). I don't have much friends back then , so you might notice that I'm always alone on my pics. I'm a loner back then. :D

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
My stepfather eats kimchi, rice with green tea in it, and such things. He is an American of Japanese descent. He spent time in a WWII interment camp, too, when he was a little boy.