• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Post-truth is pre-fascism"

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
How large and well-knit was the community you lived and worked in?
Ah ha! Very good question!
Massive variation.
Enormous cities , through average towns ....reducing to small mining communities.

Ah ......... my information for very small communities is not as strong as for villages and upwards because there were problems with hamlets of (say) 25-40 homes because in this age people drive to their village stores to shop and that changes the character of a community. I could prepare for travelling shoppers and travelling pro-thieves in those stores.... that was my focus in them.

For example: I couldn't dress down to (for example) as a 'care in the community' type of character with odd socks, a mis-buttoned duffle coat and a beanie woolly hat with a disabled facial countenance (very easy for me, Sunstone :D and deadly in supermarkets) because every local soul in the place would react 'Who the hell is he!!!?'
So staff had to be prepared to answer intrigued locals with 'Oh he's alright! That's oldbadger (!) he's no trouble, his carer is somewhere around.' Big Smile..... That could work for locals to leave me alone.

But what about the Salem witch hunts? Was it 18 locals executed by locals because of local allegations? How does that event fit with your proposal?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Love the authors bio. "Taught at a university".
How perfect: you mock the author of an article about post-truth/pre-fascism for being a scholar.

From the Wikipedia entry linked in the OP:

Timothy David Snyder (born August 18, 1969) is an American author and historian specializing in the history of Central and Eastern Europe and the Holocaust. He is the Richard C. Levin Professor of History at Yale University and a Permanent Fellow at the Institute for Human Sciences in Vienna.
Though detestable, it should come as no surprise that you would deprecate such work.

tytlyf

Not Religious
I always laugh when someone on the right labels people on the left as 'fascists.' You know you're dealing with a person who doesn't understand Fascist history.
These same people forget that Fascists hate communists and vice versa.
Fascism is always a RW ideology.
A sign of Fascism is mixing religion into government, I don't see people on the left doing that. But I do see domestic terrorists using religious phrases and prayers while storming America's democracy.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
How perfect: you mock the author of an article about post-truth/pre-fascism for being a scholar.

Timothy David Snyder (born August 18, 1969) is an American author and historian specializing in the history of Central and Eastern Europe and the Holocaust. He is the Richard C. Levin Professor of History at Yale University and a Permanent Fellow at the Institute for Human Sciences in Vienna.
Though detestable, it should come as no surprise that you would deprecate such work.
Surprise !

That vox bio came from the very link you posted.

Not very impressive or in depth to say the least.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Fascists and their ilk have disdain for intellectuals and higher learning.

618D9+sAqpL._AC_SY741_.jpg

Twilight Hue

Incidentally,
I was talking about the Vox article's author. Not Timothy David Snyder.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Only one "Air Force".
(Although the Navy & Army have their own aircraft too.)
So the question is for what country?
Well since Mr Snyder is an American, I would assume the US Air Force. Unless the gentleman migrated and is a citizen of another country. But there’s no reason to assume such a thing. How is that hard to figure out?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well since Mr Snyder is an American, I would assume the US Air Force. Unless the gentleman migrated and is a citizen of another country. But there’s no reason to assume such a thing. How is that hard to figure out?
(Shhhhh....it's a continuation of some humor. Don't tell the others.)

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
One thing that stands out for me, apart from the many other good points in the article:

An obvious problem is the role of money in politics, the confusion between the right to free speech and the right to give as much money as you want to anyone you want. Those are obviously two different things. The founders knew, because they read Aristotle, that inequality itself is always going to be a threat to democracy. If you have too much inequality, Aristotle warned, the people will grow tired of oligarchs. And someone like Trump will come along and say, well, the world's run by billionaires but at least I'll be your billionaire, which is false and demagogic and generally horrible.

Which is one of the things so often wrong with politics and elections (power from wealth), especially in the USA, and which many outside of America would probably have noticed - and for decades. And with the advent of easily accessible and so often influential media, often controlled by political factions, it has become more important, especially when the wealthy have their own interests more in their minds than much else.

Twilight Hue

One thing that stands out for me, apart from the many other good points in the article:

An obvious problem is the role of money in politics, the confusion between the right to free speech and the right to give as much money as you want to anyone you want. Those are obviously two different things. The founders knew, because they read Aristotle, that inequality itself is always going to be a threat to democracy. If you have too much inequality, Aristotle warned, the people will grow tired of oligarchs. And someone like Trump will come along and say, well, the world's run by billionaires but at least I'll be your billionaire, which is false and demagogic and generally horrible.

Which is one of the things so often wrong with politics and elections (power from wealth), especially in the USA, and which many outside of America would probably have noticed - and for decades. And with the advent of easily accessible and so often influential media, often controlled by political factions, it has become more important, especially when the wealthy have their own interests more in their minds than much else.
And now Biden is the people's millionaire.

What a happy outcome.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
And now Biden is the people's millionaire.

What a happy outcome.
You have come to this position, as in so many other countries too, even the UK, but it is not useful to have such, rather than having decent humans doing the best they can and with some expertise.