• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

post an obvious

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I started a thread to debate what I consider obvious.....
Someone had to be First

it seems that several participants are unfamiliar with that kind of thought

so......post an item you consider...obvious
an item that has no rebuttal

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Except it did have rebuttals. Which you proceeded to ignore.

There is no such thing as a statement that has no rebuttal. If we believe our own statements have no rebuttal, we are hopelessly stuck inside our own heads.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Someone had to be First

Find the beginning of a circle or give the smallest atom until there is nothing left and maybe there's be an idea of there is a first. Try to create a baby without any preexisting "tools" needed to create such a thing. Figure out how our ashes disappear when we die. Another thing try and prove beyond our perception of thought there Is a spirit or soul that exist apart from the brain and will continue despite what religion we follow and whether we are guided to experience the spirit or born again to receive it.

There is a lot of mystery in life but mystery does not equal the definition and answer to our origin. Its actually not question that makes sense to ask. However, people who dont believe life goes in a cycle will be trying to find The First for thousands of years later.

Shrugs.

Earthling

David Henson
Someone had to be First

Anything and everything can have a rebuttal. Just look at my god thread, for example.

The Earth is round? Some apparently still think it's flat, some would be more specific and accurate, some would question if the Earth even really exists.

The sky is blue? Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Or does it just appear to us as blue? What is blue? What is the sky? From what perspective - outer space, for example? It's just a racetrack. A circle to run around like a dog chasing it's own tail.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Anything and everything can have a rebuttal. Just look at my god thread, for example.

The Earth is round? Some apparently still think it's flat, some would be more specific and accurate, some would question if the Earth even really exists.

The sky is blue? Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Or does it just appear to us as blue? What is blue? What is the sky? From what perspective - outer space, for example? It's just a racetrack. A circle to run around like a dog chasing it's own tail.

The sky is Carolina Blue on a clear day at noon on the fourth of July 2018.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Someone had to be First

Very familiar with this type of argument. Your argument was repeatedly refuted, and there is no such thing as self-proving statements, except this that confirm objective verifiable evidence outside the statement, and in the case the statement is not self proving in isolation.

Example the sky is Carolina Blue at noon on a clear day on the 4th of July of 2018.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Very familiar with this type of argument. Your argument was repeatedly refuted, and there is no such thing as self-proving statements, except this that confirm objective verifiable evidence outside the statement, and in the case the statement is not self proving in isolation.

Well, it does work if you are trapped inside your own head. Which all of us are, to some extent or another. If we can't think creatively enough or critically enough to get outside of our own boxes, we can convince ourselves of all sorts of things. We can convince ourselves that something is self-evident, self-proving, or obvious. Personal truths, as it were.

Personal truths don't apply outside of oneself, however - a reason why many folks take the phrase "personal truth" to be an oxymoron. To some, truths are not personal, they are universal.

Earthling

David Henson
The sky is Carolina Blue on a clear day at noon on the fourth of July.

Crayola Carolina Blue or Ford Motor Company Carolina Blue? (Not that either one of tham necessarily have a version of Carolina Blue, but you get my point) From space the same?

Audie

Veteran Member
Someone had to be First

Obvious: Thief has not succeeded

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Someone had to be First

Bachelors are not married.

Ciao

- viole

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Someone had to be First

How do you post an item?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
wolves, dogs and coyotes are canines.

claims about immaterial spirit are not subject to empirical testing.

I am posting at 2:36 pm CDT, according to my computer's clock.

Shaul

Premium Member
Obvious: human beings have innate worth and murder is wrong.

Yes, yes, we may argue the definition of murder. But irrespective of the definition no one argues that murder per se is not wrong.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Obvious: human beings have innate worth and murder is wrong.

Yes, yes, we may argue the definition of murder. But irrespective of the definition no one argues that murder per se is not wrong.

I can (and have), but I won't. It's difficult to do within the framework of RF's rules because it is too easily construed as advocating an illegal activity.