• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Post all you know about the expanding Universe here

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I wonder, if there are Universes, beyond the 13.8 billion diameter of the 'Known universe' spectrum with sunlight from their own Suns??

Almost certainly.

First of all, it appears that space is very close to being 'flat'. That means that if there is any curvature, it is very small and, if space is finite, it is much bigger than the observable universe. Part of the standard model for the Big Bang is that space is homogeneous and isotropic (the same everywhere and in every direction) on an average.

The end of your question is rather confusing, though. The phrase 'spectrum with sunlight from their own suns' is strange. First of all, the word 'spectrum' relates to possible energies/colors of light so putting it beside 'Known universe' doesn't make a lot of sense.

Second, the sun is simply one of many, many stars. We *know* of other planets orbiting other stars, so 'sunlight from their own Suns' is something that is common, even in the observable universe. It would be expected to be similar beyond what we can see.

Next, while the 13.8 billion light year figure is correct in one sense, it measures how far away galaxies were when they emitted the light we see now. But, they are *now* much farther away than that: approximately 47 billion light years away. So there is a sense in which we know about what things are like that far away.

Finally, this would ALL be considered to be part of *our* universe. it is beyond what we can (currently) observe, but that alone doesn't make it another universe. A true multiverse theory has multiple universes, each of which can have 'observable universes' around any point in them.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
To start with, I would like to offer this piece of info.

Does everyone know the Universe is expanding, every single minute?

Yes, it does, at an alarming speed of light, that is.

A lot of care needs to be taken here. The rate at which other galaxies are moving away depends on how far away they are.

This means galaxies are moving further and further away from each other, so much that in many years from now, the skies will show up being void, with stars having moved away so far apart from each other, they say!

That we do not know at this point. it is certainly possible, but it isn't the only possibility that fits our data currently.

Nonetheless, our far-off neighbor - the ANDROMEDA, is said to get closer to the great MilkyWay every single second, off to a collision course with us sometime in far-off future.

Actually, the Andromeda Spiral is very *close* to us on a galactic scale. It is 'only' 2 million light years away, which puts it in our backyard, so to speak. Even with amateur telescopes, it is easy to see galaxies that are 30 times as far away.

These are my own thoughts on the subject:

Not an atom in the Universe can exist without movement. Even subatomic particles revolve constantly around a nucleus.

A LOT of care is required here. Electrons (probably the particles you were thinking about) do *not* revolve around the nucleus. They don't have 'orbits': they have 'orbitals' because of their quantum mechanical properties. Orbitals are 'spread out' and are not confined to one path.

Anyway, a great deal is known about the expansion of the universe and a great deal has been learned in the last couple of decades. To go over it all would take several books.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The space is not just available area... to expand, unfold, what-not. It is a matrix tightly united with the time factor.
What space are you talking about here? The existing space of the universe, or the "space" it's expanding into?

MNoBody

To start with, I would like to offer this piece of info.

Does everyone know the Universe is expanding, every single minute?

Yes, it does, at an alarming speed of light, that is.

This means galaxies are moving further and further away from each other, so much that in many years from now, the skies will show up being void, with stars having moved away so far apart from each other, they say!

Nonetheless, our far-off neighbor - the ANDROMEDA, is said to get closer to the great MilkyWay every single second, off to a collision course with us sometime in far-off future.

These are my own thoughts on the subject:

Not an atom in the Universe can exist without movement. Even subatomic particles revolve constantly around a nucleus.

If there is no movement on the galactic plane of existence, then space-time becomes irrelevant. Because lack of movement is redundant. It does not cause change, progress, evolution and such. Such a condition would then only signify death.

All things that want to exist must then imply movement. And with movement, comes maturity, change and evolution.

Therefore I trust that, the Universe expands in as much as the space-time folds are completely unfolded (unwarped) and when that happens (they have unfolded to the max. and there is no more room for expansion), that would trigger an opposite process of the Universe folding in on itself. So much that galaxies will bombard with each other resulting in a collapse of the whole model.

This is my idea of the expanding Universe. And of change and space-time.

What is yours? May I know.
It seems that model is flawed and there is really no such thing as an "expanding Universe"
these people explain why that is more eloquently.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
The reason I posted this thread is not only for scientific community to participate, but for
Almost certainly.

First of all, it appears that space is very close to being 'flat'. That means that if there is any curvature, it is very small and, if space is finite, it is much bigger than the observable universe. Part of the standard model for the Big Bang is that space is homogeneous and isotropic (the same everywhere and in every direction) on an average.

The end of your question is rather confusing, though. The phrase 'spectrum with sunlight from their own suns' is strange. First of all, the word 'spectrum' relates to possible energies/colors of light so putting it beside 'Known universe' doesn't make a lot of sense.

Second, the sun is simply one of many, many stars. We *know* of other planets orbiting other stars, so 'sunlight from their own Suns' is something that is common, even in the observable universe. It would be expected to be similar beyond what we can see.

Next, while the 13.8 billion light year figure is correct in one sense, it measures how far away galaxies were when they emitted the light we see now. But, they are *now* much farther away than that: approximately 47 billion light years away. So there is a sense in which we know about what things are like that far away.

Finally, this would ALL be considered to be part of *our* universe. it is beyond what we can (currently) observe, but that alone doesn't make it another universe. A true multiverse theory has multiple universes, each of which can have 'observable universes' around any point in them.

Oh well, what I truly meant to say is this -

From a presumed galactic center, light pours out in every direction apparently up to a distance of a total of 13.8 Billion light years from one end to other end.

This is the observable Universe. Which means, many people including me up until recently thought the res of the space (from 13.8 Billion Light Years to the so-called 96 Billion Light years which marks the end of space right now) is plunged into darkness.

But that is not so (as I came to understand recently) for the following reason -

Which is that, the space expanded to the 96 B Light years because the warped space-time rather kept unfolding... and unfolding... in between all the galaxies.Which does not mean, those galaxies placed at a distance above the 13.8 Billion light years from galactic middle should not have Sun and be illumined.

I'm reading your replies which are informative and that might take a bit. Thanks.