• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Possible Causes Behind The Popularity of Beard-Wearing in the 21st Century

Jonathan Bailey

7. Because you want to

8. Because your wife, gf, other half thinks they are sexy.

9. As a naval seaman it is an optional code of practice and you want to help keep your face warm in Atlantic blizzards.

Oh, re 4, very unfair and bigoted, there is no evidence a beard is unhygienic, no evidence that wearing a beard contributes to litter. And the janitorial services at your local fast food joint are the responsibility of management, not the poor bearded sap who has to clean up your urine when you miss the urinal

And 2, have you bought a good razor yet?

I was saying that if you are such a pig as to not bother to use a garbage can, you probably don't care about your personal appearance as well. America was much more litter-free when male adult faces were much more clean-shaven widespread so I figure social attitude has something to do with it. I think beard wearers look like slobs. I think people who are conscientious as to how the environment looks also care enough to appear neat. The only "tree-hugger" I know to ever have worn a beard was a coot named John Muir. Teddy Roosevelt started a program to protect our national forests but he only wore a mustache, a rather bushy one though.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I shave because I want to look like a human
Human males have beards.

Personally, I don't care how you do your hair or your attire.
You could dye your pubes in rainbow colors, I don't want to know what you do with your hair.

Why do you think that the rest of us should care about such things? That's the part I don't understand. Why all these threads about something as unimportant as hairdos?
Sounds kinda gay, to me.
Tom

Galateasdream

I think beard wearers look like slobs.

That, I think, explains your love of beard threads :)

But George V isn't impressed:

il_570xN.590542965_jb0t.jpg

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I was saying that if you are such a pig as to not bother to use a garbage can, you probably don't care about your personal appearance as well. America was much more litter-free when male adult faces were much more clean-shaven widespread so I figure social attitude has something to do with it. I think beard wearers look like slobs. I think people who are conscientious as to how the environment looks also care enough to appear neat. The only "tree-hugger" I know to ever have worn a beard was a coot named John Muir. Teddy Roosevelt started a program to protect our national forests but he only wore a mustache, a rather bushy one though.

your opinion is noted.

David1967

Premium Member
1. insecurity about one's manliness: today's younger male is sheltered and softened

2. wide-spread poverty: inability or unwillingness to purchase quality shaving equipment

3. rebellion against parents and authority: police and military are mostly clean-shaven as well as most male elected officials and most men over 60

4. insensitivity to, ignorance and apathy regarding personal hygiene, sanitation, the environment and cleanliness: the widespread litter in public streets and lack of janitorial service in many places of business (particularly those businesses which are food-related) are clear indicators that this new age is not appreciative of cleanliness and tidiness

5. widespread lack of a father figure in the home to show teenage boys how to shave

6. permissiveness and tolerance of disheveled appearance: civilian employers don't have strict dress codes as they used to, and/or, health code laws are now too lax regarding the personal hygiene of people working in food-handling and healthcare occupations

I blame 'Duck Dynasty'.

Galateasdream

@Jonathan Bailey
The other thread seemed to disappear.

But I was going to respond:

Those Brady Bunch people and the likes of them don't make me nauseous to look at them while I am eating. That is why.
Here is another handsome family (1970's):
usa-1970s-young-american-family-portrait-at-wedding-celebration-black-ATDCB5.jpg

So you wish everyone to be clean shaven and look 1950-70s American conservative because other looks make you feel sick.

And you desire this enough to start multiple threads here in an effort to spread awareness.

Just to check: you want everyone to be a white, Christian, heteronormative, American 1950-70s conservative family, yes?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
1. insecurity about one's manliness: today's younger male is sheltered and softened

2. wide-spread poverty: inability or unwillingness to purchase quality shaving equipment

3. rebellion against parents and authority: police and military are mostly clean-shaven as well as most male elected officials and most men over 60

4. insensitivity to, ignorance and apathy regarding personal hygiene, sanitation, the environment and cleanliness: the widespread litter in public streets and lack of janitorial service in many places of business (particularly those businesses which are food-related) are clear indicators that this new age is not appreciative of cleanliness and tidiness

5. widespread lack of a father figure in the home to show teenage boys how to shave

6. permissiveness and tolerance of disheveled appearance: civilian employers don't have strict dress codes as they used to, and/or, health code laws are now too lax regarding the personal hygiene of people working in food-handling and healthcare occupations

3n4vhd.jpg

Howard Is

Lucky Mud

Do you shave your pubes ?
If not, why not ?
(Deleted by moderator)

Last edited by a moderator:

Milton Platt

Don't buy number 1. People who have been in the service and fought wars wear beards. Lumberjacks grow beards.
Don't buy number 2. I have a beard, my son has a beard, both of my brother-in-laws have beards..we are not poverty stricken.
Don't buy number 3. My parents are long dead and I grew my beard after they died...long after.
Don't buy number 4. People who have beards are not unclean because they allow the hair on their face to grow. If having hair is unclean, then you should shave your head and the rest of your body before you complain. Hair is a natural part of the body. This objection is just plain stupid. You are just displaying your own intolerance and lack of consideration of others. What does litter in a street and bad janitorial services have to to with beards?
Don't buy 5. So people who have beards don't (or didn't) have a father? Seriously?
Don't buy 6. This is pretty much a repeat of the idiocy in number 4. Health laws as pertaining food places are probably the best they have ever been. Want to roll them back to the 1800's??? Well, perhaps you are posting from a third world country?

Milton Platt

I shave clean not for the sake of wanting to "look like a woman or a child", I shave because I want to look like a human and have my face feel clean and comfortable. The foreskin of males is removed for the same reason: hygiene and comfort. Did the vast majority of men who shaved in the 20th century look like sissies to you? Do soldiers look like sissies? Wear a neat-trimmed mustache then if you think it will man you up. Even so, food gets all in it.

Humans have facial hair and foreskins. Who made you the arbiter of fashion? The foreskin thing was just a religious thing at one time. There is no medically sound reason to remove it. Why would you think that a foreskin would be uncomfortable? Why would you think it would be bad hygiene? Don't you wash your d**k???