• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Possibilianism - middle ground?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Hope you are all well and if not may you get better real soon if that's a possibility ...

Here's an interesting article & website that may appeal to those of you with open minds like me - if there are any just like me? I often wonder ... :)

Here's a little taste -

In a New Yorker profile of Eagleman, Burkhard Bilger further elaborated on Eagleman’s viewpoint:

“Science had taught him to be skeptical of cosmic certainties, [Eagleman] told me. From the unfathomed complexity of brain tissue—‘essentially an alien computational material’—to the mystery of dark matter, we know too little about our own minds and the universe around us to insist on strict atheism, he said. ‘And we know far too much to commit to a particular religious story.’ Why not revel in the alternatives? Why not imagine ourselves, as he did in Sum, as bits of networked hardware in a cosmic program, or as particles of some celestial organism, or any of a thousand other possibilities, and then test those ideas against the available evidence? ‘Part of the scientific temperament is this tolerance for holding multiple hypotheses in mind at the same time,’ he said. ‘As Voltaire said, uncertainty is an uncomfortable position. But certainty is an absurd one.’”

Read more here - if that has aroused your interest - if not enjoy your day anyway! -

Possibilianism: The Awesome Middle Ground Between Strict Atheism and Grandma's Christianity

All the best!

eik

"Strict atheism" is probably the most perverse form of "certainty" that has ever been mooted. Even self-professing atheists would have to concede that God cannot be disproved and has never been disproved. So self deception is often an integral part of "being certain," especially for the atheist varieties of "certainty" (2 Thess 2:11). Most atheists in practise base their contempt for God in the hubris of misplaced belief in the rightness of self, and in mocking, or at least despising, those who profess a sincere faith, rather than in any objective proof of God's non-existence.

Blessed are those who are certain, and yet who are not self deceived! The only people in this category are real Christians.