• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Possession by a Hindu deity

SeRe

I've come across some instances of deities (Devi/Goddess like Ma Kali, Ma Chamunda, Mariamma etc, Ayyappa Swamy, Murugan, Snake Gods) possessing human beings. The possession is either during the specific time period (example, Navaratri), or it can be intermittent / at will. In most instances, the person possessed loses control over their body. The deity who possesses the body answers devotee questions, blesses people with boons, and then leaves the body. After this, the person who was possessed loses consciousness, and later becomes normal.

I have myself seen one instance of this, and have heard accounts of many other stories first hand from family members, friends etc. There are also many articles published about this phenomenon.

Do you believe this happens? Have you ever encountered anything of this nature? Do you think it is genuine?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
People enter trance for various reasons, and from certain conditions. It's definitely not part of my practice. I've never seen it in person.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I suspect this is a real phenomena. I also believe there are possession that are not so nice.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Shamanic practices, mostly surviving in villages. Theyyam dancers:
Theyyam Dance - Google Search
Theyyam: When Gods Dance Among Men

0218e25be85ab15ded7e0deef00314f8.jpg

Last edited: