• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Positive Effects On Mental Health?

Jumi

what are some old routines that helps your pain attacks if you dont mind me asking?
Basically go out in nature, breathe deeply and move with purpose, try not to think much. It's quite natural for people. There are of course things like traditional martial arts or yoga that have sets of movements that are good also.

and what exactly is a pain attack?
I have bouts of severe nerve pain.

LiveByFaithNotSight

The Art Of Conversing
Basically go out in nature, breathe deeply and move with purpose, try not to think much. It's quite natural for people. There are of course things like traditional martial arts or yoga that have sets of movements that are good also.

I have bouts of severe nerve pain.
I'm so sorry to hear you deal with that and how are you currently doing with that pain and your mental health?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
For me personally Going up in what I would Call a "Hood" Low income high crime rate area I was subject to a high level of Trama in my life that resulted in alot of Mental Health Issues Anxiety, Depression, PTSD, and High level of paranoia which often lead to suicidal thoughts. I wasnt religious at all and had no spiritual understanding. I Can sayin in the last 5 years of learning about the Spiritual Side of life and applying Bible principles I've completely got rid of Anxiety and Paranoia I still Have Clinical Depression based on traumatic past experiences that are out of my control.i Do not have suicidal thoughts any more at all.I'm not on med and i do talk therapy. But my Spirituality has been the biggest component to my mental well-being.

Matthew 5:3 "3 “Happy are those conscious of their spiritual need"

that a short summary of my experience I'd love to share more in deeper detail but most importantly I'd love to hear you guys experience 1st. please if you feel comfortable to share I'd love to hear the benefit of your beliefs help your mental health.when I say belief that including belief in science or Evolution or a different philosophy that isn't a traditional "religious belief". any way of thinking that helps your mental health.

My religion is Buddhism. That is how I see the facts of life through Dharmic teachings. I try to meditate more but the tradtional sit down and breathe and having ADD issues etc its hard to sit down without getting up literally the next second as if I sat on something on fire. My brain goes this way and that and to settle it down is a lot of work and energy.

My passion is my art. That has helped me a lot in my mental health; it is my spirituality; it is my religion. I learn about Dharmic principles and things I value etc through collage, journaling, taking a walk or jog outside to reflect on thoughts, etc.

I have epilepsy, a seizure disorder, and meditation calms my nerves both psychological and neurological. I had chronic depression years ago after my surgery in '99 and still havent fully recovered but I value life now. I still find ways to give gratitude. Its hard to feel it so Im learning how to express it instead of trying to pray into it. Mostly through art. I want to publish my poetry some day and give it to different LGBTQ organizations and Epilepsy Foundations in and out of state.

Ive been an artist (non-professional) for years. I remember when I started writing poetry and stories in elementary school. I painted with my mother. With my father and brother we would go hiking in the woods. I came to Buddhism later in life. I havent developed it as a passion. Kinda like you know you will be rebirn and continue with life, but its not something to study and focus on all the time. Its a truth and fact in the background I think about once in a while.

Developing friendships has helped me understand love that I never had psychologicaly growing up. Finding out more about myself is cool too. Thats my religion.

The traditional ones with high emphasis on ritual and practice (like Buddhism etc) is very hard for me to follow. Im more free spirited; so, if I can find ways to practice in a non-traditional way with the same path and results, that would be cool.

LiveByFaithNotSight

The Art Of Conversing
My religion is Buddhism. That is how I see the facts of life through Dharmic teachings. I try to meditate more but the tradtional sit down and breathe and having ADD issues etc its hard to sit down without getting up literally the next second as if I sat on something on fire. My brain goes this way and that and to settle it down is a lot of work and energy.

My passion is my art. That has helped me a lot in my mental health; it is my spirituality; it is my religion. I learn about Dharmic principles and things I value etc through collage, journaling, taking a walk or jog outside to reflect on thoughts, etc.

I have epilepsy, a seizure disorder, and meditation calms my nerves both psychological and neurological. I had chronic depression years ago after my surgery in '99 and still havent fully recovered but I value life now. I still find ways to give gratitude. Its hard to feel it so Im learning how to express it instead of trying to pray into it. Mostly through art. I want to publish my poetry some day and give it to different LGBTQ organizations and Epilepsy Foundations in and out of state.

Ive been an artist (non-professional) for years. I remember when I started writing poetry and stories in elementary school. I painted with my mother. With my father and brother we would go hiking in the woods. I came to Buddhism later in life. I havent developed it as a passion. Kinda like you know you will be rebirn and continue with life, but its not something to study and focus on all the time. Its a truth and fact in the background I think about once in a while.

Developing friendships has helped me understand love that I never had psychologicaly growing up. Finding out more about myself is cool too. Thats my religion.

The traditional ones with high emphasis on ritual and practice (like Buddhism etc) is very hard for me to follow. Im more free spirited; so, if I can find ways to practice in a non-traditional way with the same path and results, that would be cool.
I deeply appreciate you sharing that with me. I write poetry as well I'd love to read your work. do you mind me asking what surgery did you have in 99?

LiveByFaithNotSight

The Art Of Conversing
Developing friendships has helped me understand love that I never had psychologicaly growing up. Finding out more about myself is cool too. Thats my religion..

I Hope I can gain friendship with you moving forward. especially after sharing with me a deep part of yourself . is the one friend who help you understand Love that you can share in regards to helping you with your mental health?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I deeply appreciate you sharing that with me. I write poetry as well I'd love to read your work. do you mind me asking what surgery did you have in 99?

Thank you. Yeah, I started getting back writing almost recently as my depression started to digress. I had right temporal lobectomy. They cut out a piece of my brain near my ear and plot it in the trash :p thats where my seizures originate; so, I dont have the big ones anymore. I created a website full of my poetry. I may post it sometime.

LiveByFaithNotSight

The Art Of Conversing
Thank you. Yeah, I started getting back writing almost recently as my depression started to digress. I had right temporal lobectomy. They cut out a piece of my brain near my ear and plot it in the trash :p thats where my seizures originate; so, I dont have the big ones anymore. I created a website full of my poetry. I may post it sometime.
I look forward to that forsure.

Dave Watchman

How has my belief affected my mental health?

I can't say i think about it much.

I was always a believer. But after i became a more devout believer, i put away the vices that probably would have eventually hurt both the physical and the mental health.

But then something else happened. I almost immediately started to become aware that we were in the Biblical end times. So let my reasonableness be known to ALL men because I think the Lord is at hand. I've been bitten by that Pauline bug, don't get married, don't buy anything, but if you do don't plan on having it for very long. This world is passing away.

I'm not depressed about it, just more nervous or on edge. It feels like time is moving too fast, winter is approaching too quickly as we speed towards a "darkened" sun and a moon that will not give her light. There's a sense of urgency. I'm a bit impatient with silly people, silly women, that are consumed with the inconsequential, like being upset with the knobs they received on their new kitchen cabinets. I'm thinking that's not the end of the world.

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.​

sealchan

For me personally Going up in what I would Call a "Hood" Low income high crime rate area I was subject to a high level of Trama in my life that resulted in alot of Mental Health Issues Anxiety, Depression, PTSD, and High level of paranoia which often lead to suicidal thoughts. I wasnt religious at all and had no spiritual understanding. I Can sayin in the last 5 years of learning about the Spiritual Side of life and applying Bible principles I've completely got rid of Anxiety and Paranoia I still Have Clinical Depression based on traumatic past experiences that are out of my control.i Do not have suicidal thoughts any more at all.I'm not on med and i do talk therapy. But my Spirituality has been the biggest component to my mental well-being.

that a short summary of my experience I'd love to share more in deeper detail but most importantly I'd love to hear you guys experience 1st. please if you feel comfortable to share I'd love to hear the benefit of your beliefs help your mental health.when I say belief that including belief in science or Evolution or a different philosophy that isn't a traditional "religious belief". any way of thinking that helps your mental health.

In brief, when I was a young adult I fell in love for the first time. But I was naive and the young woman more worldly. She broke up with me and I went into what I would call a mild depression. This lasted for about a year and a half. During that time I started attending college and I was exposed to religion in a serious way for the first time. One summer I became so upset about my lost relationship that I began to complain to God. I had never spoken to God prior to that time except in a way I hadn't recognized once before.

Out of that one-way conversation I undertook a new resolve. I began to re-write Genesis. From that day forward and with a new sense of a need for me to take up responsibility for the quality of my life, my depression melted away.

About a year later I had a dream that really shook me. I dreamt that I was in my bedroom and a malevolent presence, God, was approaching my closed door out in the hallway. I knew that I had to choose my "secret name" or that presence would destroy me. The name came to me and suddenly the dream changed from one of darkness and fear to one of incredible ecstasy as I found my voice and sang with the passion and volume of an opera singer. That dream was immediately followed by a dream that I will describe briefly as a very intense sexual encounter.

More recently looking at Genesis and surveying other categorically similar dreams and visions of other posters on a forum I used to hang out at, I realized that the components of those experiences are of a type that if not common are uncommonly experienced by many people.

It is now that I feel a confidence that I am acting for both psychological reasons (scientific) and for reasons of faith in the Christian tradition, that I am acting with a "divine" will to pursue my faith in the manner that I am doing it: studying and analyzing the Word and interpreting it based on my own learning. This has given me a deep sense of purpose and meaning in my life and a certain strength to step away from material distractions.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

A friend of mine had very similar issues when he was younger. He had constant mental health problems. Depression, addiction, his life was a real wreck and he attempted suicide a couple of times. That is what his parents confirmed to me, since he is a good friend of my son.

And I have to admit that he also got saved by his faith. Now he is another person, really. He told me he could not have survived without his renewed faith in Allah.

Happy for him, but I suppose that we both agree that this does not add an atom to the plausibility of Allah. It just tells us that belief in something bigger, no matter what it is, can be helpful, especially if it has a plan for us and so. And that is probably why our propension to believe the supernatural has been naturally selected, since it provides some survival advantages.

Wouldn’t you agree?

Ciao

- viole

Riders

Well I am mentally ill too and have an addiction. I see 2 perspectives to this.
I have seen alcoholics and drug addicts get into Christianize 12 step programs and or church and do very well with the program sometimes spirituality is a big help for the mentally ill.

However AA and the 12 step programs only require a belief in a power greater then our selves but not a strict belief in Jesus to get well.12 step programs world wide are way bigger then Christian programs for addiction.

So off hand Id say there is proof that for some mentally ill and addicted folks can get help with spirituality although many times medication or counseling should be applied with that.

But it does not prove that Jesus is the only way!!

ALso sometimes spirituality can make things worse depending on what kind of mental illness you have.

I was desperate for help in my mid twenties and ended up in a Pentecostal cult and had a mental breakdown and had to break from religion for awhile because the extreme emotionalism at church drove me nuts.

Riders

A friend of mine had very similar issues when he was younger. He had constant mental health problems. Depression, addiction, his life was a real wreck and he attempted suicide a couple of times. That is what his parents confirmed to me, since he is a good friend of my son.

And I have to admit that he also got saved by his faith. Now he is another person, really. He told me he could not have survived without his renewed faith in Allah.

Happy for him, but I suppose that we both agree that this does not add an atom to the plausibility of Allah. It just tells us that belief in something bigger, no matter what it is, can be helpful, especially if it has a plan for us and so. And that is probably why our propension to believe the supernatural has been naturally selected, since it provides some survival advantages.

Wouldn’t you agree?

Ciao

- viole

I agree it doesn't point to one religion being the answer for everyone but to spirituality in general.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Hi mate,
Don't really have anything to share that would help with this, but just wanted to say I found the OP interesting and inclusive.
Glad you're making progress with your mental state over the years. It's always incremental, so being reflective like you are here is important.

LiveByFaithNotSight

The Art Of Conversing
Hi mate,
Don't really have anything to share that would help with this, but just wanted to say I found the OP interesting and inclusive.
Glad you're making progress with your mental state over the years. It's always incremental, so being reflective like you are here is important.
I really appreciate that bro means alot. I know it health Exercise to Express the progress we made and share how our beliefs helped. I wanna do postive things on this site I see alot of ego in proving other wrong here and I wanna up build each other. no matter what belief we are all human Suffering in a crazy world.

LiveByFaithNotSight

The Art Of Conversing
Well I am mentally ill too and have an addiction. I see 2 perspectives to this.
I have seen alcoholics and drug addicts get into Christianize 12 step programs and or church and do very well with the program sometimes spirituality is a big help for the mentally ill.

However AA and the 12 step programs only require a belief in a power greater then our selves but not a strict belief in Jesus to get well.12 step programs world wide are way bigger then Christian programs for addiction.

So off hand Id say there is proof that for some mentally ill and addicted folks can get help with spirituality although many times medication or counseling should be applied with that.

But it does not prove that Jesus is the only way!!

ALso sometimes spirituality can make things worse depending on what kind of mental illness you have.

I was desperate for help in my mid twenties and ended up in a Pentecostal cult and had a mental breakdown and had to break from religion for awhile because the extreme emotionalism at church drove me nuts.
a Cult will definitely do that but I'm more interested in the postive effects your belief regardless of what those beliefs are helped you.

LiveByFaithNotSight

The Art Of Conversing

Wouldn’t you agree?

Ciao

- viole
I Dont agree but this isn't a debate topic. I Believe Worshipping the Creator is Beneficial To a Creation simply based on he Created us so he knows best. Applying Biblical Principles Help mental Health cuz your living in harmony with how you were created to carry yourself and live. nothing no lonelier then A Creation without a Creator. When we're Hungry our bodies let's us know we are hungry with a Growl and stomach pains. Same way with Sadness it's our body telling us we must feed our spirituality. in my humble opinion ofcourse. I know not every feel that way but in my personal life its been the case.

LiveByFaithNotSight

The Art Of Conversing
How has my belief affected my mental health?

I can't say i think about it much.

I was always a believer. But after i became a more devout believer, i put away the vices that probably would have eventually hurt both the physical and the mental health.

But then something else happened. I almost immediately started to become aware that we were in the Biblical end times. So let my reasonableness be known to ALL men because I think the Lord is at hand. I've been bitten by that Pauline bug, don't get married, don't buy anything, but if you do don't plan on having it for very long. This world is passing away.

I'm not depressed about it, just more nervous or on edge. It feels like time is moving too fast, winter is approaching too quickly as we speed towards a "darkened" sun and a moon that will not give her light. There's a sense of urgency. I'm a bit impatient with silly people, silly women, that are consumed with the inconsequential, like being upset with the knobs they received on their new kitchen cabinets. I'm thinking that's not the end of the world.

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.​
that extremely interesting. my understanding of the fact we are living in the last days gives me that same urgency but at the same time peace and comfort. its exciting to be alive during a time so very unique in human history. I think about

2 Peter 3:9
"9 Jehovah is not slow concerning his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with you because he does not desire anyone to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance. "

I'm Thankful that he waited for me and is still waiting for other to Find him. Gives me a piece of mind I can't describe bro. thank you for sharing that means alot to me.

Dave Watchman

that extremely interesting. my understanding of the fact we are living in the last days gives me that same urgency but at the same time peace and comfort. its exciting to be alive during a time so very unique in human history. I think about

2 Peter 3:9
"9 Jehovah is not slow concerning his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with you because he does not desire anyone to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance. "

Agreed. It would be an honor to be alive to see the return of the Lord. That would be the greatest event in the history of mankind. Like He said: "lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

I'm Thankful that he waited for me and is still waiting for other to Find him. Gives me a piece of mind I can't describe bro. thank you for sharing that means alot to me.

I'm glad the idea of it gives you peace of mind. But it's making me nervous. It's driving me crazy.(sorry). It was one of the reasons why i started looking at this forum. I was curious what the other religions thought about the end times. I knew the Muslims had their Mahdi. But i googled to find out what the Pagans and the Satanists thought about it and didn't find too much. I gave up on the Eastern Mystics. I asked a Baha'i girl at the variety store if their religion had an end time scenario but she just stared at me with a blank look.

It might be that the end of the world scenarios are unique to the Abrahamic religions.

LiveByFaithNotSight

The Art Of Conversing
Agreed. It would be an honor to be alive to see the return of the Lord. That would be the greatest event in the history of mankind. Like He said: "lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

I'm glad the idea of it gives you peace of mind. But it's making me nervous. It's driving me crazy.(sorry). It was one of the reasons why i started looking at this forum. I was curious what the other religions thought about the end times. I knew the Muslims had their Mahdi. But i googled to find out what the Pagans and the Satanists thought about it and didn't find too much. I gave up on the Eastern Mystics. I asked a Baha'i girl at the variety store if their religion had an end time scenario but she just stared at me with a blank look.

It might be that the end of the world scenarios are unique to the Abrahamic religions.

visit Jw.org bro as a Jehovah's Witness we Focus heavy on the fact were at the end times its why we preach door to door world wide. our magazine are called Awake and Watchtower both insinuating watching carefully till the end. if you have any questions hmu