• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pork prohibited not only for muslims

Shermana

Heretic
Locusts are kosher.

Indeed, I haven't had one yet, but I did mention that I love a good dish of chocolate covered or fried crickets, which is the Locust's little cousin.

Ashkenazis generally avoid Locusts and crickets because they think only certain kinds are kosher which knowledge of such is lost, even though the text is quite clear that they are all kosher if they have the jumping legs, an example of reliance on Talmud over Tanakah.

Shermana

Heretic
chapulines-seller-2-b.jpg

grasshoppers-091907-lg.jpg

Now that makes me hungry! No joke.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Pork consumption has a strong epidemiological association with cirrhosis of the liver — in fact, it may be more strongly associated with cirrhosis than alcohol
Other studies also show an association between pork consumption and liver cancer as well as multiple sclerosis.Read More

cablescavenger

I think someone's being a little ostrich-like here.

So why not eat flies? Please explain. Why will you eat one creature who feasts on feces but not another?
There are a number of causes, can you show that Pork is the prime cause for toxoplasmosis in the US?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
There are a number of causes, can you show that Pork is the prime cause for toxoplasmosis in the US?

That would be difficult, since the material from the NIH on the subject suggests to me that the main cause is contact with cats (or cat litter, rather):

Toxoplasmosis - PubMed Health

It does list undercooked meat as one source for toxoplasmosis, but it mentions beef, lamb AND pork without putting any special emphasis on pork at all.

CynthiaCypher

Indeed, I haven't had one yet, but I did mention that I love a good dish of chocolate covered or fried crickets, which is the Locust's little cousin.

Ashkenazis generally avoid Locusts and crickets because they think only certain kinds are kosher which knowledge of such is lost, even though the text is quite clear that they are all kosher if they have the jumping legs, an example of reliance on Talmud over Tanakah.

In Mexico I used eat a fried or even raw crickets and grasshopper all the time. Good grasshopper tacos there.

And your right. I think they are only kosher if they have jumping legs and rub their wings together.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Pork consumption has a strong epidemiological association with cirrhosis of the liver — in fact, it may be more strongly associated with cirrhosis than alcohol
Other studies also show an association between pork consumption and liver cancer as well as multiple sclerosis.Read More

So were you planning on addressing any of the points people have brought up here or are you just going to keep spamming the thread with cut and paste mis-information?

Shermana

Heretic
The studies seem to vary. If I recall right, and I'll add it in an edit, a European study didn't link it in humans necessarily to Cat Feces, but I might have read that wrong. Cats are how its reproduces nonetheless. I need to research it further. I will continue to look for reasons why Pork is bad.

So I will retract the statement for now until further research. However, a few things to keep in mind: Pigs will often eat cat feces on the farm, and its very difficult to tell if they have it.

http://www.pork.org/filelibrary/Factsheets/PorkSafety/toxoplasma04494.pdf

Toxoplasma and pork
Most species of livestock, including
sheep, goats, and pigs, are susceptible to
infection with Toxoplasma gondii; however,
animals exposed to T. gondii rarely
show signs of infection. Animals are
infected in a similar manner to humans:
ingestion of oocysts from the environment;
consumption of infected animals
such as mice, birds, and other wildlife;
consumption of undercooked meat
scraps; and in some species, through in
utero transmission.
Prevalence of Toxoplasma gondii in
pigs varies, but generally exceeds 10-20%
in most countries. Infection rates are
higher in breeding populations than in
market pigs, reflecting that length of
exposure is a factor in acquiring T. gondii
infection. A number of serologic surveys
for T. gondii have been conducted in the
U.S. (Table 1). Infection was estimated at
23.9% of pigs in 1983-1984 with higher
rates in breeders (42%) than in market
pigs (23%). When pigs from these same
areas were tested in 1992, the percentage
had dropped to 20.8% of breeders and

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The studies seem to vary. If I recall right, and I'll add it in an edit, a European study didn't link it necessarily to Cat Feces, but I might have read that wrong.

So I will retract the statement for now until further research. However, a few things to keep in mind: Pigs will often eat cat feces on the farm, and its very difficult to tell if they have it.

Which do you think is more common?

- a cat wanders into a pig enclosure, poops, the pigs eat it, and when the pig is cooked, it isn't cooked thoroughly.

- a person doesn't wash their hands properly after changing the kitty litter and then touches their face or handles food.

That first one sounds kinda Rube Goldberg-esque. I suppose it might happen sometimes, but a lot of things have to line up just right for it to work.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
**ssainhu is seriously considering going vegetarian**

I've been so indoctrinated to not eat pork that I don't think I could now. All meat has the potential to kill us.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
**ssainhu is seriously considering going vegetarian**

I've been so indoctrinated to not eat pork that I don't think I could now. All meat has the potential to kill us.
All our food has the potential to kill us. The last few e. Coli-related food recalls that I heard in the news were for spinach and bean sprouts.

Edit: and you can get lots of pathogens from improperly treated water (including my avatar).

Zoe Doidge

Basically a Goddess

So were you planning on addressing any of the points people have brought up here or are you just going to keep spamming the thread with cut and paste mis-information?

Quite right, it just shows how weak your position is when you have to resort to making numerous indefensible claims in the hope that maybe one will work.

Quality over quantity and all.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
All our food has the potential to kill us. The last few e. Coli-related food recalls that I heard in the news were for spinach and bean sprouts.

Edit: and you can get lots of pathogens from improperly treated water (including my avatar).

Come on, Penguin, I have to survive on something! :p

Yes, I remember the spinach mess; I was sort of freaking out because I am a huge spinach eater.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Come on, Penguin, I have to survive on something! :p
I have never once heard of any sort of bacterial, viral, or protozoan contamination of Twinkies. I think the chemicals in them must kill all pathogens.

Stick to them and you'll be as healthy as an ox. :D

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I wonder if so many people would have come up with reasons as to why eating pigs is unhealthy if it hadn't been forbidden from consumption in their religion(s).

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I wonder if so many people would have come up with reasons as to why eating pigs is unhealthy if it hadn't been forbidden from consumption in their religion(s).
Of course not. I'm still waiting for trruth to start a thread discussing why we should all take Omega-3 and avoid junk food. But since there is a lot of hypocrisy in this thread it's never going to happen. All we get is outlandish preaching about pork consumption... very out of context, and pretty crazy if you ask me.
Stay out of people's kitchens!

Pink Top Hat

When did Jesus say "thou shalt not eat pork"?

If you're going from the Old Testament, that's the Jewish part of the bible.

Jesus was a Jew.
Jesus did not bring a new religion to worship him.

No doubt Jesus did not eat pork. His worshippers do though.

Christians also used to pray 5 times a day. No doubt Jesus did the same thing the Muslims do now.