• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pork prohibited not only for muslims

Shermana

Heretic
Not surprisingly, people actually do eat flies along with a whole host of other insects. Check out the list of edible bugs

List of Edible Insects | Girl Meets Bug

Mind you, I'm not endorsing the eating of such bugs. I just find it interesting. Some of them are even listed as being nutritious

Okay, so why don't YOU eat flies. I'm aware many cultures eat flies and beetles. That's part of my point. If you'll eat pork, why not try flies? Does it gross you out too much? Why not get past the grossness and prove your "Christian" idea that you can eat whatever you want? Scared? Scarf a fly and tell me how it tastes. Otherwise, kindly admit that your preferences are arbitrary, I don't see any reason why pork is okay but flies are not. Explain. And then , explain why you wouldn't chow down on some fried Pigmy meat if it was offered to you if you were missionizing in the Congo.

Why DON"T you advocate the eating of bugs?

Why pigs but not pigmies?

Shermana

Heretic
Bugs may be healthier than pork :yes:

And far cheaper and easier to produce, and much better on the environment.

Have you ever heard of Pig Lagoons? Pilots over North Carolina can smell them.

The whole world could be fed with a few square miles of bug farms.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
And far cheaper and easier to produce, and much better on the environment.

Have you ever heard of Pig Lagoons? Pilots over North Carolina can smell them.

Had to Google it but it turned out to be more or less what I was expecting, only a lot worse.

The whole world could be fed with a few square miles of bug farms.

"McBugBurgers"!!

I'd try one.

Seriously though, I wonder how many steps would be involved in producing a pound of ground bug.

Shermana

Heretic
Had to Google it but it turned out to be more or less what I was expecting, only a lot worse.

"McBugBurgers"!!

I'd try one.

Seriously though, I wonder how many steps would be involved in producing a pound of ground bug.

I'm a big fan of Crickets! Chocolate covered, fried, baked, stewed, crickets= YUMM!

Problem is they're so dang expensive, not that many good cricket breeders outside of the pet food circuit. Maybe I should start one....

Seriously though, with the same acrage used for livestock, you could probably make 1000x the cricket meat per pound. But I'd have to research this to be sure.

Super Universe

Defender of God
Jesus(p) said to uphold those laws in the ''Jewish part of the bible'' its called Torah..

I'm not aware of what verse you are getting that from. Perhaps you could post it and I'll look it up but still, I don't take the bible as the word of God. It's too full of human misinterpretations of the truth.

You need the Old Testament to have the prophecy of Jesus.

I don't need the Old Testament at all, I have the Urantia Book which details Jesus earthly life from beginning to end. The point I was trying to make is that some Christians put the Old Testament preachings above Jesus teaching of forgiveness. To me, they're more Jewish than Christian.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I think somebody's being a little melodramatic here
A "little"?
Last time I heard this much drama, I walked into my 16 year old daughters slumber party...

I think someone's being a little ostrich-like here.
Why?
because they are not falling for your fear mongering?

So why not eat flies? Please explain. Why will you eat one creature who feasts on feces but not another?
ah, so you do not eat fish, right?
Or chicken?

F0uad

I'm not aware of what verse you are getting that from. Perhaps you could post it and I'll look it up but still, I don't take the bible as the word of God. It's too full of human misinterpretations of the truth.
Page 2.

You belief that Jesus(p) was disobeying the laws? Just a question...

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm a big fan of Crickets! Chocolate covered, fried, baked, stewed, crickets= YUMM!

Problem is they're so dang expensive, not that many good cricket breeders outside of the pet food circuit. Maybe I should start one....

Seriously though, with the same acrage used for livestock, you could probably make 1000x the cricket meat per pound. But I'd have to research this to be sure.

Not to mention those farms would be lot more pleasant to live next to. :p

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
That's just my guess. I'd have to calculate the math and get back to ya.

Does anybody know how many calories come from your average bug? I certainly don't. I know that the number of calories needed for humans each day is 2,100, at least according to people in the nutrition field. Multiply 2,100 by the number of people on the planet and you have the number of calories the world needs each day. I figure an advantage to bug farms would be the lighting fast speed at which bugs mature relative to mammals especially. Mind you , I'm just having a little fun pondering this question. If this was a viable solution I'm sure it would've been implemented a long time ago. On the other hand, fame and fortune are usually found by those bold enough to dream

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Does anybody know how many calories come from your average bug? I certainly don't. I know that the number of calories needed for humans each day is 2,100, at least according to people in the nutrition field. Multiply 2,100 by the number of people on the planet and you have the number of calories the world needs each day. I figure an advantage to bug farms would be the lighting fast speed at which bugs mature relative to mammals especially. Mind you , I'm just having a little fun pondering this question. If this was a viable solution I'm sure it would've been implemented a long time ago. On the other hand, fame and fortune are usually found by those bold enough to dream
B.A.B.E.S. Bay Area Bug Eating Society - Nutritional Information

My favourite line from this website:
However, unlike crickets, mealworms are unlikely to escape unless you are hideously careless.

Last edited by a moderator:

Super Universe

Defender of God
Page 2.

You belief that Jesus(p) was disobeying the laws? Just a question...

Page 2 of what book, what verse?

Page 2 of the bible is Genesis, which doesn't mention Jesus.

Page 2 of the New Testament is Matthew, page 958, which talks about Joseph and Mary and Jesus birth.

Last edited:

Draka

Wonder Woman
This is humorous. Firstly, I've had the odd bug fly in my mouth while on bikes, they aren't quite as tasty as a couple slices of bacon next to my eggs. As for eating things that eat feces...we eat feces. There are things we eat which have feces still in them. As much as we try to not think about it, it's true. Feces are used to fertilize our farmlands...where we get our veges and fruits. We also eat different kinds of birds, birds themselves are not known for being very clean animals either. What makes our food as safe as it can be for consumption is the way we clean it and the way we cook and prepare it. Myself, I like a nice ham and Swiss sandwich, I like bacon with my eggs and hashbrowns, I even like the occasional ribs (I get them very rarely :( ). And personally, they just seem a hell of a lot more appealing to the palate than a heaping plate of flies and worms to me.