• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Pope suggests it's better to be an atheist than a bad Christian"

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
160627113600-the-pope-church-apology-quote-exlarge-169.jpg

The Pope suggested the latter, in characteristically blunt language.
He imagined a wealthy Christian knocking at the gates of heaven and saying, "Here I am, Lord! ... I went to Church, I was close to you, I belong to this association, I did this... Don't you remember all the offerings I made?"
To which Jesus may reply, according to the Pope:
"Yes, I remember. The offerings, I remember them: All dirty. All stolen from the poor. I don't know you.' That will be Jesus' response to these scandalous people who live a double life."

Pope: It's better to be an atheist than a bad Christian - CNN.com

What do you think? Is it better to be an atheist than a bad Christian?

And do you think the Church should apologize as the Pope suggest?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I like the Pope's emphasis on economic justice. If I recall, he's pointed out that economic problems, such as poverty, need structural solutions, not just charity. I don't see him as perfect, but I see that as a positive.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
It's a start, at best. Apologies not followed up by a change in behavior or actions are empty and useless.

For the most part I would agree, but I typically don't frame things in absolute terms, as I would imagine that even empty apologies have some value. Not much but some.

What I am wondering is why the Pope didn't just apologize? I mean he is the Pope and I would assume that is something in his power to do.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
He should apologize for Jesus and the whole "sin" thing, then the pope can truly kiss the whole worlds bottom.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
I like this Pope....and am I missing something because I went through the slides and I do not see where the Pope suggests it's better to be an atheist than a bad Christian

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
I like this Pope....and am I missing something because I went through the slides and I do not see where the Pope suggests it's better to be an atheist than a bad Christian

So many Christians are like this, and these people scandalize others," Francis said during morning Mass at Casa Santa Marta, according to Vatican Radio. "How many times have we heard -- all of us, around the neighborhood and elsewhere -- 'But to be a Catholic like that, it's better to be an atheist.' It is that: scandal."

In other words, anyone who leads others to do wrong, directly or indirectly, is responsible for the evil he has encouraged, the church says. So when Francis compares hypocritical Christians to atheists, he's not being flip; he's trying to protect his flock.

It not in the slides, it is the news story under the slides.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
He should apologize for Jesus and the whole "sin" thing, then the pope can truly kiss the whole worlds bottom.
Man, when someone actually tries being Christlike, it's like a lot of Christians suddenly want to discredit that person, as if they themselves are ashamed of how they've acted and instead of bettering themselves, double-down on their hate..

Valerian

Useful actions outweigh apologies any day.

When do Protestant churches apologize for any of their sins or misdeeds in history?

When do Muslims ever apologize? When do Hindus or Buddhists?

When do communist nations ever apologize for their crimes? When do other totalitarian nations? Did Japan ever apologize for its war crimes in ww2?

When do political parties ever apologize for any of their lies or despicable acts?

When do major media outlets ever apologize? I guess every once in a blue moon the NYTimes will print some small paragraph buried on page 16.

The Catholic Church has apologized many times over on many historical deeds. I guess the fact they have done so maybe ten times and the others none, makes them 10 times worse and the others innocent.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
What do you think? Is it better to be an atheist than a bad Christian?

And do you think the Church should apologize as the Pope suggest?

The "Church" can't apologize. That's something only an actual person can do. I could say "I apologize for the USofA, does that mean anything. I apologize that other folks did stupid harmful crap. Is there any actual accountability there? I don't think so. There's still going to be Americas running around doing stupid crappy things. Next Pope can apologize for crap current Catholics are doing. I guess we can be forgiving again and again and again. Ain't that how it's supposed to work?

If next Sunday, he could get every Catholic to commit to stop doing stupid, harmful crap, now that would be something. They have a really broad platform don't they? Stop the ritual cannibalism of God and talk about how they can go out and do some good for their fellow man.