• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pope invites the world to keep the Jewish Shabbat

PruePhillip

"
From his frequent denunciations of antisemitism to his close friendship with an Argentine rabbi, Pope Francis has long been a friend of the Jews. As some of his fans were reminded this week, he also admires the way Jews observe Shabbat, the weekly day of rest."
Pope Francis says he likes the Jewish custom of Shabbat

The Pope has reached out to the Muslims too.
In the early centuries the Catholic Church reached out to the pagan Romans.
In the end you aren't sure what Catholicism stands for.

Ebionite

According to Judaism non-Jews cannot observe Shabbat, as it's a sign between G-d and His people; at least, they can't observe it totally. If they want they can do it all except do one thing wrong, such as drive or light a fire.
What's your source for that?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
The base of the law is learned from the verse "...and day and night shall not cease." (Gen. 8:22) from the story of Noah, which also relates the various Noahide commandments. Which literally means: And day and night they shall not rest. This is interpreted homiletically to mean that the descendants of Noah may not take a day of rest.
From this the Talmud writes that a gentile that keeps the Shabbat per, obviously, the Jewish definition of a Shabbat, "is liable to receive the death penalty".
The Talmud then proceeds to say that even if a gentile were to keep the Shabbat on a different day, such as Monday - but does so per all of the Jewish standards of a regular Shabbat - he too is liable to receive the death penalty.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
The Pope is forever apologizing for not being tolerant enough.

Yeah, I do think Christians should be on good terms with Jews.

I also think, however, that the Pope has forgotten his responsibility is to the Christian church, and as he goes along with any fad that strikes his fancy, he loses sight of that. This is not about Judaism so much as him also insisting on patronizing an Incan or whatever idol a couple years back.
Amazonian fetility goddess, I think it was.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The Pope is forever apologizing for not being tolerant enough.

Yeah, I do think Christians should be on good terms with Jews.

I also think, however, that the Pope has forgotten his responsibility is to the Christian church, and as he goes along with any fad that strikes his fancy, he loses sight of that. This is not about Judaism so much as him also insisting on patronizing an Incan or whatever idol a couple years back.
Amazonian fetility goddess, I think it was.
Sorry, but that is simply not at all true. Maybe read a biography on him to find out otherwise.

He came from both a conservative political and conservative Catholic background, but his working with the poor in Buenos Aries was a game-changer for him. He also was appalled by the autocratic leaders that put power and wealth above everything else, including their own people. He has reached out to Jews and Muslims and other people of faith as brothers and sisters in God, feeling that we can still have our differences and yet cooperate and respect each other, and we saw that in action when he visited Muslims in Yemen not long ago.

This is what he is.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Not everything in Jewish law is in the Torah. It is in fact Jewish law that we are not to have non-Jews keep the Shabbat in the same manner as Jews do. But quite honestly it never happens. Gentiles simply are not aware of the restrictions that we have. They'll go and squeeze a grapefruit or walk on grass or do any of a thousand different things without realizing it that makes their observance different from that of Orthodox Jews.

PearlSeeker

Not everything in Jewish law is in the Torah. It is in fact Jewish law that we are not to have non-Jews keep the Shabbat in the same manner as Jews do. But quite honestly it never happens. Gentiles simply are not aware of the restrictions that we have. They'll go and squeeze a grapefruit or walk on grass or do any of a thousand different things without realizing it that makes their observance different from that of Orthodox Jews.
Jesus is supposed to criticize placing importance on "thousand different things" not in the Torah.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
According to Judaism non-Jews cannot observe Shabbat, as it's a sign between G-d and His people; at least, they can't observe it totally. If they want they can do it all except do one thing wrong, such as drive or light a fire.
That's what I thought when I saw this. I hope the Pope is just throwing his two cents at the topic of the Sabbath and not dictating to people (i.e. Jews) what they ought to do. But I probably ought to watch the video.

To me it sounds like he's trying to encourage people to quarantine using one of the Ten Commandments. Hope there's nothing wrong with that.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
It is permissible to walk on grass on Shabbat.

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
It is permissible to walk on grass on Shabbat.
When I was Orthodox, our Rabbi instructed us not to walk on grass, lest it scatter seeds and violate the prohibition of sowing. Perhaps I realizing that other denominations do not follow this. Perhaps it may vary from shul to shul also?

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
Double pun, nice!
You have to understand that I have been friends with @metis for many, many years. Every now and again we allow ourselves to get silly. Actually, I do this for his sake. At his age this is what passes for excitement.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
Thank you! You know, one of the things I love about you, Rabbi, is that each time you respond to a question like this, you also give a reference, so that there is no question.
We could talk about that grapefruit..... but since daily I take the horse size Lipitor, getting involved with grapefruit may not be the best idea.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
You have to understand that I have been friends with @metis for many, many years. Every now and again we allow ourselves to get silly. Actually, I do this for his sake. At his age this is what passes for excitement.
Oh, the war is on! :mad:

Darn, where did I put my weapons??? :(