• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pope From Hospital: I Continue To Serve Church And Humanity

Scott1

VATICAN CITY, FEB 6, 2005 (VIS) - Pope John Paul appeared at the window of his hospital room today at noon for the recitation of the Angelus and to bless the faithful gathered in the courtyard of Gemelli hospital as well as in St. Peter's Square where four massive television screens transmitted the Marian prayer. Archbishop Leonardo Sandri, substitute of the Secretariat of State, read the Pope's message and led the Angelus, following which the Holy Father imparted his apostolic blessing.

"Today I address you from Agostino Gemelli Polyclinic," began the Pope's message, "where, for several days, I have been cared for with loving solicitude by doctors, nurses and health personnel, whom I thank with all my heart.

"I hope that the _expression of my thanks for your sincere affection, which I have felt so intensely during these days, reaches you dear brothers and sisters, and everyone around the world who has been close to me."

The Holy Father assured the faithful of his prayers for them "according to your intentions, as well as for the needs of the Church and the great causes of the world. Thus, even here in the hospital, in the midst of other sick people, to whom I send affectionate thoughts, I continue to serve the Church and all of humanity."

Noting that Italy today celebrates the Day for Life, he said that the message of Italian bishops for this occasion "accented the mystery of life as a association which calls for trust. We need to trust life! Unborn children silently ask for trust in life. Children who, for diverse reasons are without a family, wish to trust life and hope that they will find a home that will welcome them through adoption or temporary custody.

"With special consideration," conclude the Pope's Angelus reflections, "I am thinking of the beloved Italian people and everyone who has at heart the defense of nascent life. I am especially close to the Italian bishops; may they continue to exhort Catholics and all people of good will to defend the basic right to life, in respect for the dignity of every human person."

POPE IMPROVES: HAS NO FEVER, EATS REGULARLY, CELEBRATES MASS

VATICAN CITY, FEB 7, 2005 (VIS) - Joaquin Navarro-Valls, director of the Holy See Press Office, appeared at noon today in the press office and read a bulletin to journalists which gave an update on the Holy Father's health.

"The Holy Father's condition continues to improve. He no longer has a fever, eats regularly and spends several hours a day in an armchair next to his bed.

"For obvious reasons of prudence, the Pope has been advised to remain at Gemelli Hospital for several more days. The next communique will be issued Thursday, Feb 10 at 12 noon."

In remarks following the reading of the communique, Navarro-Valls noted that "numerous get-well messages and letters continue to arrive daily for the Pope. Many people are offering up their sufferings for the Pope, who is keeping everyone in his prayers, as was mentioned yesterday during the Angelus. The messages come from all over the world, and many from within the hospital. Most are very moving."

He added that "the Pope celebrates Mass daily in his room to which members of the medical staff are invited." Navarro-Valls also said that "the Holy Father glances at the newspapers to - as he says - 'follow the evolution of my health'."