• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pope Francis: there is no contradiction in the fact that priests can get married

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
The crazy thing also is that they don't want us to use birth control and also not get abortions! What about that combo don't they understand???
Which perfectly answer the frequent question: why do atheists like to criticize or knock down Christianity?

Simple, because Christians also mess around with my life, my choices, on a premise that has the same evidence as Superman.

If they just believed their stuff, like my Iceland friend believes in trolls and elves, and not try to enforce any policy on me, then I will never object to their superstitions.

Ciao

- viole

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Which perfectly answer the frequent question: why do atheists like to criticize or knock down Christianity?

Simple, because Christians also mess around with my life, my choices, on a premise that has the same evidence as Superman.

If they just believed their stuff, like my Iceland friend believes in trolls and elves, and not try to enforce any policy on me, then I will never object to their superstitions.

Ciao

- viole
I like the "Ciao":) since my wife was born and raised in Italy-- Sicily to be more precise. I'm much more northwestern European and look it.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I saw a survey a couple of decades ago of Catholics that showed over 95% don't agree with the Church's teaching against birth control.

The crazy thing also is that they don't want us to use birth control and also not get abortions! What about that combo don't they understand???

Unfortunately, this is what we tend to get with old white men like me making the rules as bishops.
I find that the anti-choice movement's actions - and the positions of the Catholic Church on reproduction in particular - make no sense at all if we assume that they're motivated by a desire to prevent abortions, but they all make perfect sense if we assume they're motivated by a desire to punish women for having "unapproved" sex.

GardenLady

the positions of the Catholic Church on reproduction in particular - make no sense at all if we assume that they're motivated by a desire to prevent abortions, but they all make perfect sense if we assume they're motivated by a desire to punish women for having "unapproved" sex.

The desire to prevent abortions is coupled with the equally strong desire to control women.

Having been raised Catholic for the first several decades of my life, I finally came to the conclusion that the Catholic church values women if we are (1) fetuses, (2) pregnant, or (3) providing free or cheap services to the church.

The ban against contraception, if actually followed, would fill the pews... for a time. But many, like me, will become alienated by the misogyny and abuse and coverups and denigration of victims and RICO-like behavior to protect the organization.

It took me to long to leave the RCC; too long. But I am very happy in the creedal, liturgical alternative I chose.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The desire to prevent abortions is coupled with the equally strong desire to control women.

Having been raised Catholic for the first several decades of my life, I finally came to the conclusion that the Catholic church values women if we are (1) fetuses, (2) pregnant, or (3) providing free or cheap services to the church.

The ban against contraception, if actually followed, would fill the pews... for a time. But many, like me, will become alienated by the misogyny and abuse and coverups and denigration of victims and RICO-like behavior to protect the organization.

It took me to long to leave the RCC; too long. But I am very happy in the creedal, liturgical alternative I chose.
From watching the Catholic Church's actions over the past few decades, I've come to the conclusion that their actions don't reflect any general desire to prevent abortion or a general valuing of fetuses.

I mean, aside from the obvious stuff to prevent unwanted pregnancy that they actively oppose - e.g. contraception - they usually just don't do anything to prevent abortion.

For instance, a few years ago here, government parental leave benefits got expanded significantly. One might have expected some sort of statement from the Catholic Church in Canada to say "yes, giving pregnant women more paid, job-protected leave directly addresses a number of reasons why women seek out abortions, so we support this measure as a way to reduce abortion." If they were really gung-ho, they could have said "this legislation doesn't go far enough. The government needs to do more."

... but they didn't do either of these things. They just kept quiet.

The Catholic Church only acts to prevent abortions when doing so involves some measure of cruelty, shame, or other cost for a pregnant person.

GardenLady

Add to that combo that official church doctrine considers it a "grave sin" for a women to EVER turn her husband down for sex. Flu? Too bad? Painful menstrual cramps? Too bad. Papa wants some nookie.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Add to that combo that official church doctrine considers it a "grave sin" for a women to EVER turn her husband down for sex. Flu? Too bad? Painful menstrual cramps? Too bad. Papa wants some nookie.
I've never heard of that. It's not mentioned in the Cathechism. Sounds like nonsense.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
If a priest having a wife and family prevents him from properly doing his work, then how much more so would the chief of surgery at a major hospital be kept from saving the lives of patients just for the convenience of having a wife and kids? Or the President of any country -- surely they're way to busy to be distracted by such paltry concerns as a sex life.

Hey, RCC! Get on with it. Change can be a good thing.

GardenLady

If a priest having a wife and family prevents him from properly doing his work, then how much more so would the chief of surgery at a major hospital be kept from saving the lives of patients just for the convenience of having a wife and kids? Or the President of any country -- surely they're way to busy to be distracted by such paltry concerns as a sex life.

Hey, RCC! Get on with it. Change can be a good thing.

I left the RCC and belong to an ELCA Lutheran church. Our married pastor with three kids has had no problem fulfilling his role as pastor.
It's about money.