• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pope Francis says death penalty not aligned with the Gospel.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Seriously, dude? You have read the Bible I hope. Mt 5:38-48. Whenever Jesus says, "You have heard that..." and then says, "But I say..." he is refuting the OT.

Jesus is not refuting the Old Testament. He stated plainly in (Matt. 5:17), "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill."

Jesus Christ came preaching the 'Kingdom of Heaven', just as John the Baptist did. (Matt. 3:1-2), (Matt. 4:17) Just as He later sent the disciples out to preach. (Matt. 10:7)

That Kingdom will be the one where Jesus is present on earth and ruling in Jerusalem.

In (Matt. 5-7) Jesus is giving the laws of the Kingdom. And they are different then the Mosaic Law. In fact, they are more strict then the Mosaic Law. Under the law you could not commit adultery. Under the Kingdom law, you can not even lust after a woman. (Matt. 5:27-28) Under the law you must perform your oaths. Under Kingdom law you don't even make an oath. (Matt. 5:33-34)

Different set of laws for a different time. Jesus was ready to establish that Kingdom and the laws of it. But He the King was rejected, and the Kingdom didn't come.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Jesus is not refuting the Old Testament. He stated plainly in (Matt. 5:17), "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill."

Jesus Christ came preaching the 'Kingdom of Heaven', just as John the Baptist did. (Matt. 3:1-2), (Matt. 4:17) Just as He later sent the disciples out to preach. (Matt. 10:7)

That Kingdom will be the one where Jesus is present on earth and ruling in Jerusalem.

In (Matt. 5-7) Jesus is giving the laws of the Kingdom. And they are different then the Mosaic Law. In fact, they are more strict then the Mosaic Law. Under the law you could not commit adultery. Under the Kingdom law, you can not even lust after a woman. (Matt. 5:27-28) Under the law you must perform your oaths. Under Kingdom law you don't even make an oath. (Matt. 5:33-34)

Different set of laws for a different time. Jesus was ready to establish that Kingdom and the laws of it. But He the King was rejected, and the Kingdom didn't come.

Good-Ole-Rebel

The blatant contradictions are awful. I remember making excuses for a literal and inerrant bible when I was a Christian too. The thing is when you do that, it becomes a religion made by you, not by any deity.

Bob the Unbeliever

Theological issue is lie to Holy Spirit, it us an archetypal event , most likely never happened or something similar happened and a Gnostic type archetypical mythological story was invented.
Bible is a theological school book, not history book.

So what? Is the bible god's ego SO massive it could not withstand a white lie?

The couple were saving for an uncertain future-- the very fundamental basis of Capitalism.

But bible-gods' thin skin required yet another brutal death.

The bible god is quite the Bully, really.

pearl

I don't care if you call the death penalty revenge. I don't care if you call it murder. As I showed, it is God who sanctioned it. (Gen. 9:6)

The Old Testament commandment was meant to moderate vengeance; the punishment should not exceed the injury done. Jesus forbids even this proportionate retaliation. Mt 5 : 38

Good-Ole-Rebel

The Old Testament commandment was meant to moderate vengeance; the punishment should not exceed the injury done. Jesus forbids even this proportionate retaliation. Mt 5 : 38

Which Old Testament commandment are you talking about?

Concerning (Matt. 5:38) see post #(61).

Good-Ole-Rebel

pearl

So what? They were saving for an uncertain future.... but apparently BibleGod's ego was more important...

The sin of Ananias and Sapphira did not consist in the withholding of part of the money but in their deception of the community. Their deaths are ascribed to a lie to the holy Spirit, accepted the honor accorded them by the community for their generosity, but in reality they were not deserving of it.

Good-Ole-Rebel

An eye for an eye

The Mosaic Law, which concerns the commandment you are talking , did not moderate vengeance. It exercised the death penalty regularly. In fact, just before the 'eye for an eye' is spoken of, (Ex. 21:24), there are 5 instances where the death penalty resulted. (Ex. 21:12, 14, 15,16, 17, 23) And that is what 'eye for an eye' speaks to. (21:23-24)

The Mosaic Law did not begin until (Ex. 19). The death penalty was given in (Gen. 9) The Mosaic Law was to Israel alone. And under the Law they still exercised the death penalty. The death penalty given to Noah's descendant's was to all of man and has never been revoked.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Bob the Unbeliever

The sin of Ananias and Sapphira did not consist in the withholding of part of the money but in their deception of the community. Their deaths are ascribed to a lie to the holy Spirit, accepted the honor accorded them by the community for their generosity, but in reality they were not deserving of it.

So YOU say. I read it very differently: A Big Brother community, were even the slightest effort to be independent? DEATH!