• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pope Francis Says Atheists Who Do Good Are Redeemed, Not Just Catholics

InChrist

Free4ever
4consideration,

You didn't answer my question...

So when you say you were (Christian), what do you mean?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The pope is not a Christian

Not going to give an opinion here, other than to say that I am not very interested in discriminating people by deciding whether they should be considered Christians.

And I am certainly not going to criticize anyone for showing consideration and respect for others. So if saying that makes the Pope any less of a Christian, then maybe being a Christian isn't such a good thing after all.

and how do you interpret Isaiah 64:6 and Romans 3:10. They are crystal clear.

They are scripture. And as such, they can aim at best to be very well suited to the specific purpose (set in time and space) for which they were written. In any other context, their value and applicability is not their own merit, but rather that of whoever chooses to raise them.

In any case, those two verses are simply statements of lack of worth. They have little doctrinary meaning.

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
He was not saying that atheists would gain salvation. It is still theoretically possible for a good atheist to end up being tortured for eternity after the timer goes off at the end of life. Redemption is just an invitation to get right with Jesus. Pope Francis isn't really changing church doctrine here, but he is opening the door to a more civil dialogue with non-believers. Atheism is on the rise in Europe and the US, and that was primarily what drove Ratzinger to make disparaging remarks about atheism. That was the stick. This is the carrot. I doubt that either will slow down the trend.

Irrespective of what the Holy Father meant by this particular address, it is Catholic doctrine that atheists can receive salvation in Christ while not explicitly believing in him. We have a doctrine of baptism by implicit desire. It is possible that the Holy Father might be implying this, even though yes, redemption can be thought of as an offer of salvation rather than guarantee itself. What we do know is that this does happen and that God wills to save everyone, even if that salvation needs to be accommodated to their circumstances.

The Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)

“...It certainly does not mean that none can be saved except those who are in visible communion with the Church. The Catholic Church has ever taught that nothing else is needed to obtain justification than an act of perfect charity and of contrition. Whoever, under the impulse of actual grace, elicits these acts receives immediately the gift of sanctifying grace, and is numbered among the children of God. Should he die in these dispositions, he will assuredly attain heaven....”

Therefore if atheists were to adhere to the dictates of their conscience, honestly, and have "perfect love" they would receive sanctifying grace and "attain heaven".

His meaning regarding atheists and Catholics working together is much clearer and is where the true import lies for me. He is saying that Catholics should never demonize non-Christians, for example atheists, or fail to recognise truth and goodness in their lives. He is saying that we should not be a "clique" and have an "us vs them" mentality but see good in all human beings.

This could effect a positive change in how many lay Catholics view atheists. In his papal address on 20 March, he described as well his feelings about agnostics/atheists, again positively:

[W]e also sense our closeness to all those men and women who, although not identifying themselves as followers of any religious tradition, are nonetheless searching for truth, goodness and beauty...They are our valued allies in the commitment to defending human dignity, in building a peaceful coexistence between peoples and in safeguarding and caring for creation.

So Pope Francis views atheists not as enemies but as valued allies and is teaching Catholics, indeed all Christians, to see them as such as well. That is significant IMHO.

Last edited:

4consideration

Premium Member
4consideration,

You didn't answer my question...

So when you say you were (Christian), what do you mean?

Sorry. I did not see that question when I posted previously.

I mean that Christianity is a general term for a religion, of which there are many denominations. In the organized religion of Christianity, Catholicism was what many other denominations broke away from.

To me, it is perfectly fine for other Christians to disagree with Catholicism in general, or on specific matters. However, I do not think it is accurate to say that the Pope is not Christian. It came across to me here, and also other times when people have made similar statements, (saying other people, or other groups, are not Christian) that it is an effort to exclude Catholics from Christianity, as though their version is the "true" form of Christianity.

For any of the members of my family that still consider themselves Catholic, if you asked them, "Are you Christian?" I would be shocked if any of them said, "No."

They would most likely say, "Yes. I am Catholic." That was how I always answered the question when I thought that was accurate for me.

(Meaning they do think of themselves as Christian, and add the distinction that they are of the Catholic version of Christianity.)

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
Catholics are most definitely Christians, as are Orthodox, Evangelicals, Methodists, Baptists etc.

"...Christian is my name, and Catholic my surname. The one designates me, while the other makes me specific. Thus am I attested and set apart..."

- Saint Pacian of Barcelona, Letter to Sympronian, (375 A.D)

"...There is no need to qualify by fresh epithets the profession of faith; let it be enough for a man to say, 'Christian is my name, Catholic is my surname'..."

- Pope Benedict XV, Ad Beatissimi Apostolorum (1914)

InChrist

Free4ever
I believe dictionary definitions can fall short of biblical definitions. Many people believe that they are Christians because they go to church and the church claims to be a Christian church, but is that what the Bible says makes one a Christian? The word “Christian” is used three times in the New Testament ( Acts 11:26; 26:28;1Peter 4:16). Followers of Jesus Christ were first called Christians because their behavior, activity, and speech were like Christ. The word “Christian” literally means, “belonging to Christ” or a “follower of Christ.”

The scriptures teach that the good works we do cannot make us acceptable to God. Titus 3:5 says, “He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit.” So, a Christian is someone who has been born again by God ( John 3:3; John 3:7; 1 Peter 1:23) because they put faith and trust in Jesus Christ and His redemptive work on the cross and His resurrection power over death.

I’ve heard it said that going to church does not make one a Christian any more than going to a garage makes one an automobile. I think people may think they are Christians because they go to church, have gone to church, or have been baptized in a “Christian’ church, but I believe the determining question is, have they personally trusted Jesus Christ for forgiveness and eternal life? People often leave religions and churches, but as Peter’s example shows believers do not leave Jesus Christ.

Then Jesus said to the twelve, “Do you also want to go away?”
But Simon Peter answered Him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.” John 6:67-68

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Good deeds of any person do have a reward; no doubt about it.

Jesus did not present any concept of salvation without belief in one true God, in my opinion.

I think the Christian top clergy should revise his thinking.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Now dont forget to include God in the discussion. I also BELIEVE the pope forget to get Gods opinion on this one. (Heb 11:6 )
What does "pleasing God" have to do with salvation? Are you saying it's not by Grace? You have to make him happy first?

4consideration

Premium Member
I believe dictionary definitions can fall short of biblical definitions. Many people believe that they are Christians because they go to church and the church claims to be a Christian church, but is that what the Bible says makes one a Christian? The word “Christian” is used three times in the New Testament ( Acts 11:26; 26:28;1Peter 4:16). Followers of Jesus Christ were first called Christians because their behavior, activity, and speech were like Christ. The word “Christian” literally means, “belonging to Christ” or a “follower of Christ.”

The scriptures teach that the good works we do cannot make us acceptable to God. Titus 3:5 says, “He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit.” So, a Christian is someone who has been born again by God ( John 3:3; John 3:7; 1 Peter 1:23) because they put faith and trust in Jesus Christ and His redemptive work on the cross and His resurrection power over death.

I’ve heard it said that going to church does not make one a Christian any more than going to a garage makes one an automobile. I think people may think they are Christians because they go to church, have gone to church, or have been baptized in a “Christian’ church, but I believe the determining question is, have they personally trusted Jesus Christ for forgiveness and eternal life? People often leave religions and churches, but as Peter’s examples shows believers do not leave Jesus Christ.

Then Jesus said to the twelve, “Do you also want to go away?”
But Simon Peter answered Him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.” John 6:67-68

That's fine. You are free to believe what you believe.

I don't really want to continue a discussion about what constitutes a "Christian" in this thread that is about the Pope's homily. I think it's on the verge of veering way off topic, and I don't want to do that.

A person stated that the Pope is not a Christian. I think most Catholics do consider themselves Christian, as I indicated in my previous post. I'm good with leaving it at that.

InChrist

Free4ever
That's fine. You are free to believe what you believe.

I don't really want to continue a discussion about what constitutes a "Christian" in this thread that is about the Pope's homily. I think it's on the verge of veering way off topic, and I don't want to do that.

A person stated that the Pope is not a Christian. I think most Catholics do consider themselves Christian, as I indicated in my previous post. I'm good with leaving it at that.

Okay, although we may not agree I'm fine with taking the discussion no further and respecting your freedom to believe as you believe also.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Romans 3:10, Isaiah 64:6. Our faith ( in Jesus ) produces works and thats why No One can please Him by their deeds. We must FIRST BELIEVE THAT HE IS. (again Heb 11:6 )
Do you really think that you can only do good works if you believe the Christian story?

I gave $10 to the humane shelter the other day. I am an atheist. Was my deed not good?

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
The pope is not a christian?

I need to put some popcorn on.

tumblr_inline_mn5ju56NQ11qz4rgp.gif

Open_Minded

Nothing is Separate
WOW !!!! Leave a few hours, come back and the thread explodes.

In reading all the responses, all I can think is that this debate over whether Catholics are "Christian" (or not) is exactly why we need more interfaith dialog. :facepalm:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Pope Francis Says Atheists Who Do Good Are Redeemed, Not Just Catholics

For years, I participated in inter-faith dialog. Although there were individual Catholics participating as well... I NEVER thought I'd live to see the day when the POPE would utter such words.

This is wonderful news for all of humanity. Religious warfare and violence will only end if religious leaders challenge their followers to live in harmony with others.

Pope Francis expresses here an interpretation that rings true with all the Catholic members of my family, including my grandmother for decades before she passed away. I know my mother was delighted to hear the love, forgiveness, and grace in his words, and she remains Catholic.

And for the record, they all identify themselves as Christian, though they rarely - if ever - talk ABOUT their Christianity. They see themselves as people like everyone else.