• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pope Francis removes from Vatican doctrine office archbishop who is believed to have banned same-sex

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
You dance around it but it is obvious you believe same-sex acts to be morally licit. That there are no ends by which human actions must be governed. Either God has changed his mind, or the Church is wrong. Either way, Catholicism is false.
Same-sex acts are not of my concern as long as it is consensual with those involved if they're adults. How God may judge them is of His concern.

Nor do I believe in biblical inerrancy, plus an overview of the Judeo-Christian scriptures makes it abundantly obvious that the cultural norms and folklore of 2000 years ago in eretz Israel permeates much of scripture.

OTOH, the Church has the right and obligation to teach what it believes is morally right, but we as Catholics also have the right of personal discernment. To put it bluntly another way: the Church is not the Gestapo.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Same-sex acts are not of my concern as long as it is consensual with those involved if they're adults. How God may judge them is of His concern.

Nor do I believe in biblical inerrancy, plus an overview of the Judeo-Christian scriptures makes it abundantly obvious that the cultural norms and folklore of 2000 years ago in eretz Israel permeates much of scripture.

OTOH, the Church has the right and obligation to teach what it believes is morally right, but we as Catholics also have the right of personal discernment. To put it bluntly another way: the Church is not the Gestapo.

Bravo. Bravo. Bravo.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Yet, Scripture is clear that sexual sin disqualifies a person from salvation.

Jesus in His Gospels was not obsessed with sex.
No parable speaks of sex.

If there is just one parable that speaks of sex, show it to me.

Paul was obsessed with sex. But Paul is not God, and as many psychologists affirm, he was very imperfect...

That said, a Catholic priest who gives the absolution to a loan shark or a bankster who induced people to commit suicides...

And...does not give the absolution to a homosexual person,

Well...that priest is a hypocrite.

pearl

Yet, Scripture is clear

Is it? Then why does the Church continue to interpret Scripture for what it means for the life of the Church today?

The study of the Bible is, as it were, the soul of theology, as the Second Vatican Council says, borrowing a phrase from Pope Leo XIII (Dei Verbum, 24). This study is never finished; each age must in its own way newly seek to understand the sacred books.

[QUOTE="Musing Bassist, post: 7521119, member: 59052" To be told that your sexual inclinations are disordered[/QUOTE]

As for homosexual orientation being 'disordered':
“This is philosophical language. The inclination is a disorder because it is directed to an object that is disordered. First, every person has disordered inclinations. Consequently, homosexual persons are not the only ones who have disordered inclinations. Second, the letter does not say that the homosexual person is disordered. The inclination, not the person, is described as disordered.”
Ratzinger also stated homosexuality is not chosen.
We are all created 'in God's image'.
Psalm 139

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I was Christian, I was born and baptized Roman Catholic, Italian-American, made sacraments up to Confirmation. I see Christianity far more clearly from the outside than I did as a Christian, or than many Christians do.

It's hard to be objective when you're inside of the religion. You are afraid to question.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
That and many Christians - particularly in the U.S. - presume Jesus to have been a lily white blue-eyed guy. Also, a lot of American Christians embrace a political ideology that's completely antithetical to the teachings and examples of Christ.

But they also think that the Jesus of Revelation is gonna look like Chuck Norris with a huge arsenal.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
It's not my concern either. I don't care what people do in the privacy of their own homes. What I am concerned with is the integrity of Catholic teaching. I don't think the Church can change its teaching on this issue without defecting from the faith. I don't believe doctrine to be a Hegelian dialectic determined by the synthesis of ideas and historical circumstances.

Jesus in His Gospels was not obsessed with sex.
I do not accept this false dichotomy. A false and contrived dichotomy between Saint Paul and Our Lord. My canon does not start and end with the Gospels.

It is. But that won't stop the sophistry claiming otherwise. That the Bible doesn't say what it clearly says.

Consequently, homosexual persons are not the only ones who have disordered inclinations.
You're arguing against a phantom of your own imagining. I never denied the universality of disordered passions; concupiscence, nor have I denied the intrinsic human dignity of those with homosexual inclinations.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
It's not my concern either. I don't care what people do in the privacy of their own homes. What I am concerned with is the integrity of Catholic teaching. I don't think the Church can change its teaching on this issue without defecting from the faith. I don't believe doctrine to be a Hegelian dialectic determined by the synthesis of ideas and historical circumstances.
I think the essence of basic Catholic teachings is intact, but I also know that there's been some changes on the details that includes some interpretations and/or applications. This is quite logical as the Church would have to make periodic adjustments because of changing conditions, plus revelation is not static but ongoing.

May you & all reading this have a Most Blessed Lord's Day.