• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pope Francis on the death of George Floyd: We cannot tolerate racism and claim to defend life

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
https://www.americamagazine.org/faith/2020/06/03/pope-francis-death-george-floyd-we-cannot-tolerate-racism-and-claim-defend-life

Pope Francis on the death of George Floyd: We cannot tolerate racism and claim to defend life

Pope Francis this morning spoke of his “great concern” at “the disturbing social unrest” in the United States following “the tragic death of George Floyd,” which he attributed to “the sin of racism.”

“We cannot tolerate or turn a blind eye to racism and exclusion in any form and yet claim to defend the sacredness of every human life,” the pope said.

He did so in a message addressed to his “dear brothers and sisters in the United States,” meaning the entire nation and not just its 70 million Catholics, a senior Vatican source told America. He spoke to them during his virtual public audience from the library of the apostolic palace on June 3, which was carried by Vatican Media.

His words during the audience and later in a statement indicated that he considers George Floyd’s death to be a result of racism. His carefully chosen words left no room for equivocation: Any Catholic who claims “to defend the sacredness of every human life” must combat racism and exclusion in all its forms.

Francis is well aware that a sizable number of Catholics and other Christians in the United States limit the defense of “the sacredness of human life” mainly to abortion, but do not view racism, the death penalty or other forms of exclusion—like mistreatment of migrants—as life issues. In today’s message, the pope underlined the full teaching of the church regarding “the defense of the sacredness of every human life” as expressed in the Second Vatican Council. He does not want this teaching to be reduced and manipulated for political or ideological reasons.

“At the same time,” he said, “we have to recognize that “the violence of recent nights is self-destructive and self-defeating. Nothing is gained by violence and so much is lost.” These words were a direct quote from a recent statement by Archbishop José Gomez, the president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, Vatican News said.

Pope Francis, like his predecessors, including Sts. Paul VI and John Paul II, has always advocated nonviolence. Indeed, he has often cited Martin Luther King Jr. in this regard, including during his address to the U.S. Congress on Sept. 24, 2015, when he recalled the peaceful march Dr. King led from Selma to Montgomery.

In the last part of his message, Pope Francis said, “Today I join the Church in Saint Paul and Minneapolis, and in the entire United States, in praying for the repose of the soul of George Floyd and of all those others who have lost their lives as a result of the sin of racism.” His inclusion of the many “who have lost their lives as a result of the sin of racism” is highly significant, especially at the present moment but also in the light of the history of racism in the United States.

He invited all believers to join him in prayer: “Let us pray for the consolation of their grieving families and friends and let us implore the national reconciliation and peace for which we yearn.” The call for “national reconciliation and peace” was also significant. Catholic leaders like Cardinal Blase Cupich of Chicago have appealed for church leaders and others to work together for “national reconciliation.”

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
https://www.americamagazine.org/faith/2020/06/03/pope-francis-death-george-floyd-we-cannot-tolerate-racism-and-claim-defend-life

Pope Francis this morning spoke of his “great concern” at “the disturbing social unrest” in the United States following “the tragic death of George Floyd,” which he attributed to “the sin of racism.”

“We cannot tolerate or turn a blind eye to racism and exclusion in any form and yet claim to defend the sacredness of every human life,” the pope said.

He did so in a message addressed to his “dear brothers and sisters in the United States,” meaning the entire nation and not just its 70 million Catholics, a senior Vatican source told America. He spoke to them during his virtual public audience from the library of the apostolic palace on June 3, which was carried by Vatican Media.

His words during the audience and later in a statement indicated that he considers George Floyd’s death to be a result of racism. His carefully chosen words left no room for equivocation: Any Catholic who claims “to defend the sacredness of every human life” must combat racism and exclusion in all its forms.

Francis is well aware that a sizable number of Catholics and other Christians in the United States limit the defense of “the sacredness of human life” mainly to abortion, but do not view racism, the death penalty or other forms of exclusion—like mistreatment of migrants—as life issues. In today’s message, the pope underlined the full teaching of the church regarding “the defense of the sacredness of every human life” as expressed in the Second Vatican Council. He does not want this teaching to be reduced and manipulated for political or ideological reasons.

“At the same time,” he said, “we have to recognize that “the violence of recent nights is self-destructive and self-defeating. Nothing is gained by violence and so much is lost.” These words were a direct quote from a recent statement by Archbishop José Gomez, the president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, Vatican News said.

Pope Francis, like his predecessors, including Sts. Paul VI and John Paul II, has always advocated nonviolence. Indeed, he has often cited Martin Luther King Jr. in this regard, including during his address to the U.S. Congress on Sept. 24, 2015, when he recalled the peaceful march Dr. King led from Selma to Montgomery.

In the last part of his message, Pope Francis said, “Today I join the Church in Saint Paul and Minneapolis, and in the entire United States, in praying for the repose of the soul of George Floyd and of all those others who have lost their lives as a result of the sin of racism.” His inclusion of the many “who have lost their lives as a result of the sin of racism” is highly significant, especially at the present moment but also in the light of the history of racism in the United States.

He invited all believers to join him in prayer: “Let us pray for the consolation of their grieving families and friends and let us implore the national reconciliation and peace for which we yearn.” The call for “national reconciliation and peace” was also significant. Catholic leaders like Cardinal Blase Cupich of Chicago have appealed for church leaders and others to work together for “national reconciliation.”
InB4 "well he's not a REAL Catholic..."

pearl

Francis often refers to the 'seamless garment of life', coined by Cardinal Joseph Bernardin, a consistent life ethics from birth to death. We do not now or ever have acknowledged, encountered, the person, but only the physical differences judged to be inferior, and this from the earliest beginnings of our country with the Native Americans. If one states a love for God and refuses to recognize all as brothers, one is a liar.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I've liked Francis since the moment I watched him appear on the balcony at St. Peter's and learned the name he'd chosen. I knew instantly that a very fresh wind was blowing through the Vatican -- and that it would hugely irritate a lot of the more conservative members of the church. To which I thought --- GREAT!

I think he will leave the world a better place as a consequence of his papacy.

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I've liked Francis since the moment I watched him appear on the balcony at St. Peter's and learned the name he'd chosen. I knew instantly that a very fresh wind was blowing through the Vatican -- and that it would hugely irritate a lot of the more conservative members of the church. To which I thought --- GREAT!

I think he will leave the world a better place as a consequence of his papacy.

I go back and forth on him, honestly, but there are times when his simple messaging, and lack of equivocation give me hope of the same thing.