• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pop up Ads on RF make SmartPhone Browsing literally impossible – common problem now?

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
When I browse or interact with ReligiousForums online, 90% of the time I am doing so from my smartphone. Currently I use a Galaxy S6 edge +, I haven’t tested this on the iPhone we also have.

When I open a thread from the smartphone browser, using the Dolphin browser, for example right now where there is an ad from Adidas and “Show Your Colors” and “Shop Argentina”, the ad covers from the top of the browser in a vertical manner to the bottom of the browser and covers over 1/3rd of the screen. There is no “hide” button visible as you would see from the laptop browser. It does not matter if the phone is flipped vertical or horizontal, the same problem. Cannot zoom in or out, the ad simply zooms in proportion thus resolves nothing.

This has never been worse. Many, if not most, are now using a smartphone instead of a laptop or desktop computer to browse the internet. While it is true, from the laptop where I am typing this post because I cannot use RF on the smartphone it is so bad with the pop-up ads, while it is true from the laptop you can see the “hide” button or an “X”, the same ad engine Q1Media does not show this hide button from the Dolphin browser. Even with the laptop, this is getting out of control. The screen on the Galaxy S6 edge plus is 5.7 inches (~75.6% screen-to-body ratio) and even that is not big enough since the pop up ad covers over 1/3 of the page you are trying to read and does not allow a “gap” where you can see the text covered on the right side since the ad literally runs from the top of the browser all the way to the bottom.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
You are a premium member, you should not see ads to begin with?

There seems to be a problem with login as soon as you push the button an ad pops up. Sometimes the second time you hit login another pops up. I reported it 2 weeks ago. It was fixed for about 3 days and then started again. I use mozilla firefox and chrome at 2 different locations and both have the problem. Some times it a dangerous ad, as you have a microsoft virus contact us to fix, but mostly just annoying video ads.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I'd been toying with becoming a premium member but this bug has made me think again.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I've never had issues with it, but I also don't use "smart" phones. Issues like this can only be addressed by our technical guy, so you could try PMing @Brent W about it.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I've never had issues with it, but I also don't use "smart" phones. Issues like this can only be addressed by our technical guy, so you could try PMing @Brent W about it.
I would like to see it on the forum.
I've had a lot more problems since the new ads than I have had RFormation.
Tom

David1967

Premium Member
I have a Galaxy 3. Since becoming a premium member I haven't had a problem with pop ups.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
If you use the pop-up blocker, though, to hide the big ad, then you cannot click through any links embedded in posts.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
You are a premium member, you should not see ads to begin with?
I thought of premium myself but there's so many ad free or ad limited sites it seems pointless. Like x box pay for gold vs vs. Free pc.

Any ways it's not going to do much good for visitors and observers.

I use phone as well. I can just barely post here. RF is really terrible. It's well on the way at becoming just an another Internet ad cesspool. For phones, it already has.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I use Ghostery, Adblock Plus and Firefox' Private window with my laptop. When I'm particularly paranoid I use DuckDuckGo as well.